2001 Venture 500 Liquid worst gas milage ever!

Check the floats, I had a similar issues with my 600 twin. Floats were way off.
9d6f5e893c5ce129d3de05bb9f7dcac5.jpg
. This can cause super excessive fuel consumption.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

So little update today I took my carbs off the sled for the first time since I only bought it last year and the guy I bought it from told me he cleaned the carbs. Now I have not even taken them apart to or cleaned them yet but pretty sure I found a huge problem. I bought a float level gauge to check the setting and Also have the viper reeds and notched stoppers to install I bought from Dan (A couple of bucks) here on the forum. I do not even know how all this got in there looks like belt dust to me the air box is clean and the carb boots were all on and tight. IMG_7769.jpg

QUOTE=JohnnyG383;708617]To be honest I'm fairly new to Yamaha sleds also I bought my 2001 Venture 500 last year one thing I can tell you for sure about the 500 engine is they use a lot of 2 stroke oil and do not get good gas mileage. If I could do it all over again I would hold out for a 700 Triple engine. As soon as I get a smoking deal on a wrecked just cheap sled with a 700 triple I'm planning on putting it in my sled.[/QUOTE]

You won't regret it, the 700s are awsome. Keep in mind the 600 triples are very nice to.

Last edited:
Can you show a pic of that float level gouge? Man those are the worst carbs I've ever seen.

What is the deal with the smaller twins using so much gas? I can get 12-13mpg out of my srx and 10 out of my v4. Are they just jetted too rich or geared incorrectly

Check the floats, I had a similar issues with my 600 twin. Floats were way off.
9d6f5e893c5ce129d3de05bb9f7dcac5.jpg
. This can cause super excessive fuel consumption.

Just wondering if you know the way you set the float level is by holding it on it's side about 15 degree angle just so that the spring loaded plunger on the float needle does not compress you take the measurement with out the needle plunger compressed. So if you did it upside down like in your picture your floats are still set wrong.

Just wondering if you know the way you set the float level is by holding it on it's side about 15 degree angle just so that the spring loaded plunger on the float needle does not compress you take the measurement with out the needle plunger compressed. So if you did it upside down like in your picture your floats are still set wrong.
That is before I adjusted them.. The flat should sit fairly level when adjusted purposely... I believe spec is about 24 mm from the carb flange to the top of the float. But level ish.
0c5021b4292c3374b7759cc9be0a2977.jpg

I think what he is saying is that when you are holding the carb level like that, the weight of the float itself can cause the spring to be compressed possibly.
He is saying that the proper way to do it is to hold the carb at a slight angle so the weight of the float doesn't come into play.

For Twins take the carbs completely off the snowmobile. Remove the float bowls. Holding the carbs by the rack rotate tell the float is up or the Carbs are upside down. Measure from the float bowl gasket surface to the top or highest most part of the float. Be sure to measure at both outer edges to make sure its straight or even. If its out of spec pry or bend very carefully the tab that rides in the center of the float to adjust the height. You might have to twist it to make it even on both sides of the float. After spec has been set, reassemble carbs.
IMG_1718.JPG

My dad's vmax 500 had carbs look like that that. I think the foam precleaner was going bad and broke down and got stuck to the inlet of the carbs. Replaced that in hopes to never see the coal mine at the carb inlet again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My dad's vmax 500 had carbs look like that that. I think the foam precleaner was going bad and broke down and got stuck to the inlet of the carbs. Replaced that in hopes to never see the coal mine at the carb inlet again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I put a new filter on it this year due to mice eating my new filter over the summer I put on last year this year I'm going to take it off and tape the air box closed! Pretty sure it was belt dust I cleaned the cars up they are looking like new again just waiting on new o rings and needle and seats ect I ordered for the carbs so I can put them back together.

Just want to update everyone on my problem I ordered new carb o rings and needle and seats cleaned the carbs took them completely apart made sure all the settings were factory correct. Also to note my float levels were set correct so that had nothing to do with the problem I was having also all the jets were stock sizes and needle was at stock settings. I put Viper reed cages in it and new stock Yamaha reeds and did the notch trick on the upper reed stoppers and I have to say the sled is much better now has good mid range and way better fuel mileage now. I still think I might have a clutch issue. If I'm running it at 3/4 throttle then go to full I do not notice it pulling or really picking up any speed when riding today I do not think the RPM's are going to 6,000 or above I'm seeing 5,500 maybe 6 and top speed seems to be around 80mph on flat smooth trail.

Back