2001 Venture 500 Liquid worst gas milage ever!

Is it back shifting ok? Check your secondary bushings, if they have a lot of slop in them or the coating is worn off, replace them. If the bushings are worn the sheaves could bind, if that happens it won't be shifting like it's supposed to.

Is it back shifting ok? Check your secondary bushings, if they have a lot of slop in them or the coating is worn off, replace them. If the bushings are worn the sheaves could bind, if that happens it won't be shifting like it's supposed to.

Hi Shaggyzr2 when it comes to the clutches I'm pretty not knowing how it all works exactly. I did notice when I'm coming off the throttle I hear the clutch make a noise like it's retracting. Not sure if that is what you mean.

back shifting is down shifting, when you let off the gas the secondary sheaves will spring back lifting the belt higher up into the secondary. That almost sounds like the secondary might binding. Sometimes a good cleaning will help with that if the bushings aren't too badly worn.

the bushings and rollers wear extremely fast in those clutches and must be replaced often. also you need to drop the needles one notch to get way better gas milage. thse sled s are fat fat fat from factory!
I had a 94 600 that got about 80 miles to a 12 gal tank. after I piped it and dropped the needles in er I got over 100 miles to the tank!. with no jetting change other than lowering the needles!

Last edited:
back shifting is down shifting, when you let off the gas the secondary sheaves will spring back lifting the belt higher up into the secondary. That almost sounds like the secondary might binding. Sometimes a good cleaning will help with that if the bushings aren't too badly worn.

Ok that is what I thought you were saying. When I do let off the gas after a run I do hear the clutch poping back makes a noise. I also put a new Yamaha belt on it this season.

the bushings and rollers wear extremely fast in those clutches and must be replaced often. also you need to drop the needles one notch to get way better gas milage. thse sled s are fat fat fat from factory!
I had a 94 600 that got about 80 miles to a 12 gal tank. after I piped it and dropped the needles in er I got over 100 miles to the tank!. with no jetting change other than lowering the needles!

Well I topped off the gas tank Sunday and only rode 32 miles and it was down to 3/4 of a tank I have not run a whole tank yet so I'm not sure how much better the mileage is now but I already know it's better. All my jets are stock and the needle is on the second grove but has two of those plastic washers under the clip is that where they both belong under the clip? I couldn't find much info on them. I will take the clutches apart over the off season. I wanted to replace the springs do I just put stock back on or change the spring to a different color one?

Use the stock springs. You shouldn't hear a pop from the clutch, something is sticking. I would replace the secondary bushings for sure, how do the plastic shoes in the secondary look? you may want to replace those too if they are worn down. I would use OEM parts rather than aftermarket for clutch stuff. I've never used aftermarket bushings but I've used the aftermarket shoes and they don't last long. I'm pretty sure you should have a plastic shim on top and below the clip, if both were under the clip it would run richer.

Shaggyzr2 Thanks for the help yes all the parts I use on the sled have been Yamaha OEM. I know the plastic shoes look good I'm going to take it apart over the summer. Also on the carb plastic shims I also figured there should be one on the top and bottom of the clip too I'll have to change that.

Plastic shims are for fine tuning. Having two under is okay unless you want to lean it slightly more. But not a full notch.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Id definitely check all the rollers/bushings and the weight arms to see if they have flat spots worn in them. Also the twins were known to wear spider bushings over time. When I got my 97 I could hear my clutches snapping and the spider bushing in the primary was getting hung up. I took the clutch off brought it to my dealer to change the bushings, it was under $100.00 and it changed how the sled felt.

With new bearings, good rollers, new buttons in secondary, custom heelclicker set up and a passenger touring at 25-40 mph, I got 9,5 mpg with my 97 venture 500, and everything was smooth. The sled even has dupont sliders and there was loose snow on the trail. In 43,4 miles, it sucked 4,76 us gallons (3,785 litre to a gallon).

A 2001 VT 500 does not have smart carbs unless you found a set from a 97-99 600 twin and put them on.

Back