99 Vmax SX 600 Clutching setup

That makes sense, it has a Bender race can, Bender helix, and I think Bender transfer rods, so seems likely the spring is also Bender. I should be picking up my stock springs tomorrow, they came on finally. I'll see if my engagement drops from 5000rpm.

I'm just changing my primary spring, and I have 2 thick spacers for the primary clutch spring, each one is 6mm thick, one was on each side of the spring. Is this stock? They seem to be CNC machined, all shiny.

That’s close to 1/2” of shims. Any chance someone used a short spring from an older model clutch in a newer tall cover primary and made up a couple of spacers.

That’s close to 1/2” of shims. Any chance someone used a short spring from an older model clutch in a newer tall cover primary and made up a couple of spacers.
It was alot easier pushing the cover on with the stock springs, it was all I could do to hold the spring back. The orange spring I removed was shorter. Just got a dump of snow today, hopefully get to ride on Sunday. I took it for a ride down our alley a few houses, a quick wit pull I saw about 8000rpm, but that was only over 100' or less, so it is an improvement.

I changed the secondary spring, but I think my old one was stock as the red dot looks pink to me, the new one I ordered looks identical. Not sure how much wrap I need, the stock spec chart here shows 3 different degrees, but I guessed 90 is for the SX, so it is in #3 on the clutch and #6 on the helix.

I'm just changing my primary spring, and I have 2 thick spacers for the primary clutch spring, each one is 6mm thick, one was on each side of the spring. Is this stock? They seem to be CNC machined, all shiny.
The orange Bender spring was originally designed for the shallow cover Yamaha clutches. Your machine came with a deep cover from the factory and that is why Bender would have the shim as part of that kit. Instead of buying a new spring you could install the spring without any shims and check the engagement. From there, start adding 1-2 mm shims to get the desired engagement. GL

It was alot easier pushing the cover on with the stock springs, it was all I could do to hold the spring back. The orange spring I removed was shorter. Just got a dump of snow today, hopefully get to ride on Sunday. I took it for a ride down our alley a few houses, a quick wit pull I saw about 8000rpm, but that was only over 100' or less, so it is an improvement.

I changed the secondary spring, but I think my old one was stock as the red dot looks pink to me, the new one I ordered looks identical. Not sure how much wrap I need, the stock spec chart here shows 3 different degrees, but I guessed 90 is for the SX, so it is in #3 on the clutch and #6 on the helix.
Correct 6 and 3 is 90. Usually don't go higher than that. 2 and 3 for 50 is the lowest I would start from.

Took it out yesterday, wasn't alot of snow, and it was right at the freezing point, but I initially rev to 8700rpm, it drops down to about 8500, and gradually dips to 8300 after 60mph. So I think it's fairly close. I'm also running a new Dayco belt.

I've had bad experiences with aftermarket belts, if used for performance riding. I like my secondary spring set at 60 or 70 deg. That overrev would be fixed with a multiangle helix.

Took it out again yesterday, the weather was below freezing, I can hit 9000rpm, but I only have 1 set of rivets in my primary weights, so I think adding a second set of rivets should almost do the trick. Do they come in different weights?

Finally got around to removing my weights, looks like I have the 2.44g steel rivets in the outer hole only, I picked up some rivets the other day, guessing the weight, and I got some more 2.44g steel rivets, I will install them in the un-used inner hole, see how it performs. Rollers are the stock 15mm ones.

Finally got around to removing my weights, looks like I have the 2.44g steel rivets in the outer hole only, I picked up some rivets the other day, guessing the weight, and I got some more 2.44g steel rivets, I will install them in the un-used inner hole, see how it performs. Rollers are the stock 15mm ones.
Keep us posted

Now that I have put on 400km or so, my clutch is is still pretty good, I likely need a helix with less starting angle as down low I hit 9000RPM, but at full shift out, I'm at 8600RPM. Was out on a lake yesterday with an inch or so of snow on top, according to my speedometer, I was just over 160km/h at 8600RPM, that's where it seemed to stop climbing, belt didn't blow or any issues. I checked my GPS, and I got to a max speed of 94MPH, so my speed is right where it should be.

In real good conditions, my 1997 sx 600 twin that is geared 22/39, will do 101 mph on top end, on a very long run.

Mine has the stock 21/40 gearing, but I'm running a track extension to 136", and 1.187" lugs with no studs.

Back