Phazer WIDEBODY Build, looking for tips/direction

ADDvanced

Hey boys, my name is Rob and I like building things and last March I picked up a $600 Phazer 2 with powder skis and a bar extension, had so much fun with it! My girlfriend also fell in love with it, so I knew I needed to buy another phazer:

Over the summer, I picked up TWO MORE phazers, and then about 2 weeks ago, I picked up A FOURTH Phazer 2, because it has a weird/rare/strange widebody kit on it. Here's the video that will go over the sled:

So yeah... what do? I have 3 phazers to build, two 136" tracks, an SLP rail extension, a factory ST rail extension, a 121" hacksaw track, some SLP skis, some gripper skis, .... kind of lost on what sled parts should go on what sled. Should the widebody be a powder toy or a trail focused build? Looking forward to the advice.

welcome!

wider ski stance is usually for trail riding as it makes the sled more stable. for off trail/powder, i would stay with stock width. i would go with a 1"-1.25" lug pre studded track on 136" skid on the wide ski sled as the 136" bridge the bumps better on trail.

Well, I have 4 of these things, so I guess I'll keep the widebody a 121 trail focused build. Use the 136s on the narrow/stock width sleds.

ALLLRRRRIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT just pulled the secondary, and removed the carbs.

cmlgpID.jpg

Holy shit. That airbox is extremely stupid, I hate it, I want to throw it into the garbage and run some foam motorcycle filters. Any reason not to do that? Because that suckkkeddd it took over an hour of messing around with no room to move anywhere, just awful. Any suggestions on what kind/part number/link?

Secondly, are the oil and fuel lines the same? I have a few phazers to get through, so I'd like to order a roll of something that would work for both. I also noticed that on the left hand side, where the oil and fuel lines terminate, there are tiny little holes in both lines. Why?

2IXnXks.jpg

Lastly, oil pump looks moist...
3bn1mgT.jpg

soooo now the question is, why, and should I just remove all this stuff and run premix. All 3 of my other phazers are premix. It's fine if it's around here as I can premix in a can, but for an actual real life trail sled, which I think is the direction I'm going with this one, how does one figure out how to fill up at a gas station and get the right mixture? There is no tunnel extension on a trail sled to mix gas... so what do you do?

Lastly... is this the right place for a Phazer newb? Forums seem kind of dead. Hate to go facebook because the information is so fleeting. Is there a more active phazer forum?

never seen holes in the line like that before.

the stock phazer carbs have a mid range lean spot that there was a fix for but i lost my copy, so i would run the air box other wise jetting can be a pita to get right.

basically all my sleds that are air cooled 2 strokers, have some sweating on the pump. that looks like it is leaking from the tac drive cable. that needs a tac cable from how it is split on the casing by the crimp. i would run its 1st tank as premix until you can verify it is using oil from the oil tank.

the stock phazer carbs have a mid range lean spot that there was a fix for but i lost my copy, so i would run the air box other wise jetting can be a pita to get right.

basically all my sleds that are air cooled 2 strokers, have some sweating on the pump. that looks like it is leaking from the tac drive cable. that needs a tac cable from how it is split on the casing by the crimp. i would run its 1st tank as premix until you can verify it is using oil from the oil tank.
My Phazer II ST and all three Ventures have the holes in the fuel vent line but not the first gen Phazers as far as I know. I assume it was added safety to ensure the tank did not collapse if the vent was plugged with belt material, pinched by the side panel or clamped to tight.

Double up on the don't loose the air box unless you go to slide carbs. I know they are a pain but if you don't have it on the sled you will live to regret it.

Pulled the skid, driveshaft, and track last night. Every single bearing in the skid was bad, lol. Have a few boxes of new bearings next to me.

Track Replacement Video is up!

Not s'bad, really! A lot easier than I thought it would be.

Great videos! I really like your editing. You have me all excited about my phazers again

They have new leather seat covers for sale on ebay. I have one on mine and it looks great. That airbox is annoying but I leave it in there because I hear using cone filters messes up the air/fuel ratio. I leave the back bracket bolts off the airbox so it comes out easier, haven't had it come off the carb boots yet. To get it out a little easier, I lift up on that hoot vent, you can bend it up in the air a few inches so the airbox comes out easier. I added a fuel shutoff valve because I've had fuel pumps fail (I think ethanol ruins the plastic membranes inside the pump) and the motor fill up with gas. Normally fuel shouldn't come pouring out of the fuel pump lines but they do if the pump fails.
Eventually you'll want to tear the motors apart and refresh them. The bearing and seals all go bad eventually. I replaced all the crank bearings, seals, overbored to put new pistons in etc and it runs great now.
That is an aftermarket pipe. The stock ones have a much larger muffler.
If you really want to go to town, the jackshaft bearings are usually toast. Not sure if you've put it togehter yet but its easy access when everythings apart. You can fix the brake while you have it out.

My Phazer II ST and all three Ventures have the holes in the fuel vent line but not the first gen Phazers as far as I know. I assume it was added safety to ensure the tank did not collapse if the vent was plugged with belt material, pinched by the side panel or clamped to tight.
We get those bugs that use mud for their nest. They build little mud nests all over my machine. They cause problems in all sorts of things, I think they even brought an Airbus plane down when they built a nest in the pitot tubes.

So I'm rebuilding the carbs but the little rubber plugs that hand out near the jets have dried out/shrunk. Everywhere I'm looking wants $8 each... so that's $32 per set of carbs and I have 4 phazers. Seems a bit fuckin silly to spend $120 on 16 little rubber plugs. Has anyone used anything else successfully?

TBH I'd buy those, 3 or 4 extra and be thankful its not discontinued yet. Every day parts are getting harder and harder to come by. If you're bold, there's a company- Sports Parts Inc, they seem to hunt down old supply chains and provide new parts for old machines. Maybe contact them and tell them how all the phazer plugs ('84-96) eventually get old and how the part is probably $.50. They seem to be coming out with new versions of old parts all the time now.

Alright, carb rebuild is done, and video just launched! Let me know if you see anything I did wrong. Have 3 more sets to do.

Cheers!

And SKID REBUILD! Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong guys, I'm not an expert on these things. What's the other hole used on the skid for that looks like it would lower the pivot of the front suspension arm?

Thanks, got a new cable to throw in as well.

gives the sled more clearance to running board for better powder performance. can make it tippyer too. running all of mine in the lowest hole .

Hey advanced—- do you need any body panels? I have a black phazer II set but no fairing— Tod

Back