91 VK540 rectifier problem

dansen

Good day all. New here. The rectifier assy on my 1991 VK540 is shot and apparently there are none to be had anywhere in the world (it feels like). So I wonder if anyone has figured out how to work around this or do I have to scrap the sled ? Seems ridiculous but . I don't really know much about electrical when it comes to regulators and rectifiers. So I'm hoping someone might have a solution. :(

Your dealer should be able to order an aftermarket voltage reg. Aftermarket will be less money but made in China. Good Luck.

Your dealer should be able to order an aftermarket voltage reg. Aftermarket will be less money but made in China. Good Luck.

I think these have a separate rectifier and regulator.

I would need to look at mine . Many are one wire and grounded and just waste extra power produced
back into the frame ... Your machine shouldn't need a battery or regulator to run . You do need a battery to run
electric start and charger and battery to operate the heated grips properly.
If you always started out from home .. possibly use a hydro charger to keep battery topped up
and start with recoil if needed when you need to turn off while getting unstuck.
I almost always put some fuel down plug holes when starting first time each season. Just wears out the
starter and battery drawing new fuel to carb
Ron

I think these have a separate rectifier and regulator.
Yes, you are right ! That's the problem. I have a regulator, still on machine but the rectifier is seperate. So is my sled doomed ? The red wire tab is broken off the other is for a white wire.

Attachments

• WIN_20230109_12_45_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230109_12_45_32_Pro.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
  • WIN_20230109_12_43_31_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230109_12_43_31_Pro.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Rectifier should be bolted to the battery box. I would check with some local snowmobile salvage yards. As far as I know they were all much the same in those years. Phazers. Exciter. Vk 540.

OK. I have a busy week and off to vintage races Saturday. I will make some calls and see what I can find.

I am in Canada. Our dealer software will tell us we're there is a dealer with this part instock. Only one new part available in Canada. Atlantic recreation. Phone number 1-709-739-6662. They are on the east coast.

If they don't have it? Let me know. Have a wrecker an hour away. I am sure he will have a used one.

Sorry for any confusion. I'm amazed for a sled that looked the same for years.
My book is dated 92 and i believe mine is a 94..
""Never disconnect battery while generator is operating or rectifier and regulator will
be damaged "" Big caution note.
Battery must have more than 12volt , otherwise charge or replace.
Start engine , accelerate to 3000rpmand should be charging from 13.3-14.3 volt.
Out of spec . check fuse and charging coil....OK replace regulator.
Out of spec . Faulty ...replace fuse , rectifier and /or charging coil.
Can check rectifier , shows disconnected from harness .. pocket meter neg to W(white)
and positive to R (red) is good if continuity...
Neg to red and post to white should have no continuity.
The newer book also shows the tin box style reg with Blue coming from harness and bolted to
frame for ground...
AND after all this gobbly goop , i just saw the post about broken wire // LOL
If you dont find a proper one ... rectifiers in every alternator on a car .. some stand more
current than others .. may be able to obtain one from an automotive rebuilder .
I will try and have a look at mine , and compare to my older EW sleds..
Good luck
Ron

they used that on everything with electric start for charging the battery as the 78 et340 with e start that i have has the same one as a 92 phazer that i stole it from to put on the et.

IF this picture will load ... the one is the resistor for the warmers (hi -low) and regulator
shows by itself on LH side
Ron
i will try to check a tech book when i go home
Thanks Ron ! But I already called them last week and they told me that they have a software problem that still shows they have it in stock when they haven't for a while. They don't know how to fix it so it keeps coming up. Apparently they are getting a lot of calls for it . LOL

The part i enquired about is. Part number 3HB-H1970-01. The 1Y8 number changes up.

Atlantic Rec apparently has one. New part. Good Luck.
Thank you Ski-B but I have called and searched for the new number last week as well. Still no Joy 😠

Dansen , just noticed our ages and i dont like pulling mine over either ....
Consider until you get a parts to fix it ..... add some extension cables , one from positive
and another from a ground bolt ...buy one of those lithium battery packs meant to boost cars
and you store it under the seat and clamp on the battery when you need the extra power for the starter.
Still try to keep decent battery installed and charge it when you finish each day.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/cat/...-booster-packs-power-inverters-DC0000268.html
a 600amp should be flat enough to carry under seat and adequate .. make sure the seat cant turn (squish) it on
I currently have SAE and metric tools, axe, tow straps, come a long, spare belt. spare mitts and a frisbee
in there ... Frisbee can hold parts on trail side . scoop snow . distract hungry wolves etc
Ron
My collection and my TANK

Attachments

• 74 AND 75 TL STRATFORD 006.jpg
    74 AND 75 TL STRATFORD 006.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 5
  • windshielda.jpg
    windshielda.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 5

Back