94 vmax 600 skid swap and clutch help.....

keverg

Hello. Just blew the track yesterday on my 94 600 VMAX. Got a good deal locally on a 121x 15 x 1inch lug studded track from a 2004 600 h.o. skidoo. I'm hoping the 1 inch lugs aren't too tall, looks like plenty of room. Any help with dimensions for the holes would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Also. My secondary clutch is sticking. I have the oem secondary from my 2005 rx1, just missing the spring. Question: looks like the splines line up with the shaft, but it sticks out approximately 9/16 inch further than the oem. Can I simply machine the clutch 9r shaft to !ake this clutch work? And can I use my pink spring from my stock 94 VMAX form the rx1 clutch? VMAX is gyt twin piped and i was running on B2 settings. Thanks in advance for any/all help guys!

is what i would do. cannot help you with tuning but i do not think the secondary clutch springs are interchangeable between the 2 types.

Thanks Maim. I actually got the stock 05 rx1 clutch mounted already. Just need to get the longer bolt and make a spacer to hold it on. I kind of had an epiphany while removing the chain case to replace the track. I noticed the splines were starting to wear on the inside of the jackshaft(the shaft and chaincase side barely couple together half of the splines length. so..... I simply measured clutch spacing (left,right) from stock secondary and primary. the rx1 clutch was roughly 5/8 inch too far left. So I simply slid the jackshaft to the right 5/8 inch and redrilled the mounting holes in the jackshaft bearing holder. double win!!!! Clutch lined up perfectly AND the splines slid together on chain case side almost completely all the way in. No way the shaft will wear out now!!!
So now.... I just need to know what spring to install in the rx1 secondary, and if I need to replace the helix???? Love my sleds tombe fast, but I'm no tuner myself. I'm excited to try this out when I get the new track and SC3 suspension installed!!!

Try it with what is on it. I have used a rx war helix on a 05 sx venture when clutching it and it was bang on for what we needed on that sled.

Hello Maim/everyone. Got the sc3 in my 94 VMAX 600 and tested it out. FLAWLESS! I may adjust the transfer block to take a little pressure of the front skis, but it rides wonderful. Below is a list of what to did to my old sled. 25 years ago in also installed a gyt twin pipe kit with all clutching and jetting, and v force delta reed cages, so it really moves!

Sc3 from a 2004 rev 600ho

Bender racing front strut long travel kit. Gave 2 more inches of travel in front(bought 25 years ago, never installed until now)

Rebuilt primary clutch now at 6000 miles. So smooth now. Stays at 8200rpm when throttle fully open, is this too high???? Really goes!

Installed a stock secondary clutch my my 2005 rx1(which has a newer holtzman clutch kit)

Installed FAST front ez steer kit ,bought 25 years ago!

.... All of these things made this am super fun, zippy, smooth trail sled. Can't wait to eat more snow here In Iowa to open it up across an open field. Maim.. rx1 secondary with my 94 stock clutch(pink spring). Right now it's in the softest setting and it rocks!!! Thanks Maim, can't below how perfect it shifts right now.thanks again.

np. glad i could help.

do you remeber what pipes they are? i know the stock pipe twins wanted 7800 rpm peak. those pipes might want more rpm yet.

Years ago I did the GYT twin piped(genuine Yamaha). Came with jetting, clutch weight rivers, springs ,etc. I just don't remember what the rpms should be. It pulls great, so far. Can't tell the speed as the speedo needle moves really slow, then comes back slow. Probably from sitting all these years. I think the rx1 secondary is on the softest setting which should make it shift earlier. I did have to sand the primary weights a little, as one have a couple groves from a bad roller... So I bolted them together and sanded all of them together equally. But didn't have to sand much. 8200 sounds fine while driving, and it stays there while accelerating the whole time.
Years back it stayed with or slightly beat the late 90s artic cat 600zr efi sleds my friends had... But only after I piped it and installed v force delta reed cages. I think the mpg actually increased after all this and the new leaner jetting.

Also my original 94 stock secondary spring fit perfectly into the 2005 rx1 secondary... So maybe it is right on?!

Hey did the Sc3 skid bolt directly up or did you have to measure and drill?

Hey did the Sc3 skid bolt directly up or did you have to measure and drill

Use the factory front mounting hole for the front arm... This is the most essential hole for ,mounting and makes the rest much easier. I then used the factory Yamaha rear mounting brackets for the rear. You will see that they mount to the tunnel with 3 bolts on each side, in a triangle pattern. Simply use the front most(lower) mounting hole to mount the oem rear bracket. But.... Use the rear hole of the mounting bracket for this hole. You will then have to drill the remaining two holes on each side from there. It was simple simply bolt the bracket to the tunnel with the one OEM hole, then drill the other two holes from the inside out thru the bracket(bracket is your template). Super simple and your only drilling through aluminum. And the tunnel is reinforced in this section , so no reinforcement needed. I will try to get pictures soon,all I have is one pic on my phone which does not have the new holes drilled yet. But it is mounted for fitment.
Also, as far as the upper OEM crossbar with the 2 idlers for the track... You could probably leave it where it is. But I moved it ahead slightly, to make the angle a little straighter.. also very simple..... Once you remove the cross member idler bar, you will see that there is a reinforcement bracket inside the tunnel. You will see that this bracket already has another hole in it about 2 inches forward. Simply drill thru the front hole, through the tunnel and mount the bar there.it makes evertything perfect.

Also, I I put the track in from the 2005 rev also. It had a 1 inch lug and studded up the center. No clearance issues at all. TOTALLY new sled when done.

Sorry one more thing. The sc3 uses a bolt one size thicker, so you simply drill the oem mounting brackets and also the inside spacer washer on each side, one size bigger.

Do you have the skid already? If I remember , the 2004 2005 rev sc3 wants 24.5 inches on center once mounted. You will have to use ratchet strap on the new skid to compress it, otherwise it will expand to 28+ inches decompressed...put springs on softest setting for mounting, I removed one of the rear springs to compress it easier.Screenshot_20230214-090345.pngScreenshot_20230214-090345.png

Sorry one more thing. The sc3 uses a bolt one size thicker, so you simply drill the oem mounting brackets and also the inside spacer washer on each side, one size bigger.

Do you have the skid already? If I remember , the 2004 2005 rev sc3 wants 24.5 inches on center once mounted. You will have to use ratchet strap on the new skid to compress it, otherwise it will expand to 28+ inches decompressed...put springs on softest setting for mounting, I removed one of the rear springs to compress it easier.View attachment 67444View attachment 67444
No I do not have the skid but I am currently looking! Thank you for the information!

I just bought a 2003 SC-3 skid to put in my 95 Vmax. As soon as I go thru it. Did you try using the Yamaha wheels on it? I may even try and use the Yamaha axle and wheels on mine, because I have plenty of them.

I just bought a 2003 SC-3 skid to put in my 95 Vmax. As soon as I go thru it. Did you try using the Yamaha wheels on it? I may even try and use the Yamaha axle and wheels on mine, because I have plenty of them.

I did not use the yamaha wheels. they are just a hair smaller than the ones on ethe ski doo skid. the only thing I re-used was the original cross bar midway under the tunnel. Look at my earlier post for the center to center distance. use the oem front mounting hole, then measure the back one from there. pretty simple.

Well I finally installed the SC10lll skid in my 95 Vmax 600. I made a template off the MXZ the skid came from. The Yamaha hole was 3/4 of an inch too far forward, but I went a head and installed it like keverg, as he isn't the only one that has done it like this. I haven't ridden the sled yet, but seems like it's going to work out just fine. The SC10lll rails have a bit more curve at the front and I think it will be just fine. I did add the forth wheel to the rear axle, and I'll add the SC10lll skid is much easier to install than the original Yamaha skid. Personally I think Yamaha should have stayed with the 95 style skid and made it a long travel like the other manufactures.

Attachments

• Vmax10lll2.jpg
    Vmax10lll2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 5
I agree Charlie p. Installation was actually pretty simple. And I also was worried about the steep front angle of the track, compared to the oem vmax skid..... But, after I drove the sled and adjusted the limit straps, etc... I couldn't believe the difference! This sled is a whole new sled that rides like a newer sled, but still corners flat and handles like the original vmax it is.
On another note. Mine was steering harder than normal, so I removed the front pogos and cleaned all the old grease from them and cleaned in a parts cleaning tank. The old grease was rock hard and solidified. Coated everything with Lucas synthetic grease and it steers like power steering now! At the same time I also installed a brand new kit that I've had for years.. A Bender RACING LONG TRAVEL KIT for the front pogos. It increased front travel around 2 inches. Now the sled sits pretty level with the new sc10III and is just fabulous to drive. Not sure that these long travel "cups" are still available, but they give you the same travel as the 96 xt models. If your like me , and you enjoy the vintage style vmax's, it's worth stocking a little money into them and leaving newer stock sled owners scratching their head when you keep up or pass them on the trails.lol
94 vmax 600 le
Gyt twin pipes and clutch kit
Vforce reeds
05 rx1 secondary clutch
Sc10iii skid
Bender front long travel kit

Back