Knock Sensor Questions Murder Yamaha & 74 Nitro

TrueBlue

VIP Lifetime Member
I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but I need to ask you guys again. I have a 2002 Viper, which I had to replace the engine. I installed a engine from a 2004 Viper which has a knock sensor in the head. My 02 Viper did not have one. Since this was done I have only ridden it for a couple of miles to make sure it ran OK but then the engine light came on. I have read your posts talking about the knock sensor but I am not sure this relates to my problem. At this point I need a little better idea on how to fix it. Yes I do know I can just install the head from the 02 Viper & forget about the knock sensor, but I think it would be better if I could use the knock sensor & hook it up right so the engine light would stay off.
I will try to install a picture I took with the knock sensor installed in the head with the wires wired tied next to the head. When I bought the 04 engine that is how I received it.
Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 7.19.30 PM.png
Rich (TrueBlue)

If you are still using the 02 CDI box and wiring harness, the knock sensor cannot be made to function.
What engine light pattern are you getting?

With the caution or temp indicator?
I do not remember. If it is with the caution indicator what would that mean. If it was with the temp indicator, could I have a air pocket inthe cooling system. I did drain the old coolant & fill with new prestone 60/40

I do not remember. If it is with the caution indicator what would that mean. If it was with the temp indicator, could I have a air pocket inthe cooling system. I did drain the old coolant & fill with new prestone 60/40
Post a picture.
The light on is not related to using the 04 engine, at least not in any way that I can think of.

I would have to agree with that. Your 2002 wiring should not know or care that you have a knock sensor in your head.
Whatever light thats on, is not because of the knock sensor.

True blue these guys are right on A solid light is only a very few things. Low gas being the most common? Just a thought!
Could there be air in the coolant system making it overheating for the light to come on. The sled is 400 miles away so I won't be able to check things out till later in the summer.

Back