ROUGH XL-V Purchase help & ID

sloTJ

I just picked up a XL-V 540 fan for next to nothing that I’d like to try and get running and potentially build into a vintage Snocross/lake cross racer. It’s missing the fan shrouds/belt unfortunately and I’m unsure of its year as the tunnel plate is missing. Throttle cable is frozen and steering is as well from sitting outside for many years. Engine rolls over easily

Suggestions on where I should start and what year this is anyone? I’m super familiar with the redhead Proaction sleds but not these even older sleds. Thanks TY!

she looks good. odds are the ski posts are what is seized. that is what happened to the vk i have when it sat for 15 years before i found a chain case for it. the engine parts are the same as a vk540.

she looks good. odds are the ski posts are what is seized. that is what happened to the vk i have when it sat for 15 years before i found a chain case for it. the engine parts are the same as a vk540.
thanks, I have the stems coming off the skis soaking in PB Blaster and the entire carb linkage as well. Hopefully it frees up, how’d you get yours to free up and what year is this sled you think?

lol mine was done by a high school small engine tec class. i was told it was a bugger but it did show them some skills and they did re seal all the motor and go through all the idlers and suspension for me.

based on the colour of the hood, it looks like a 1986 model year from what i can find. my dad had et340t from that year and it was same colour. yamaha sleds tend to be all the same colour for the year they are made in the 80's other than the high performance sleds usually.

After getting the starter cup and fan belt parts off of a guy in MN, the sled has great spark. 115# in each cylinder compression.
I bought another carb as well so Im confident it will run after I replace all the fuel lines. Steering still is not free however so I’ll have to probably take the tie rods off the spindles or something next.

Back