500 SX-R opinions wanted for new member

Jeff H

I've been considering picking up a 500 SX-R and would like to hear from those with personal experience on this sled. Actually, it will be either a 500 or 600 twin. Could end up being a XTC, doesn't really matter I guess. Just prefer the long travel models for the base of my project.

My reason for the twin preference is I like to tinker and it's been said these sleds are dogs. That makes it right up my alley because I enjoy the challenge. Has anybody added 38 or 40 mm carbs to a 500 SX-R? Any respectable gains from that?

I am a long time Yamaha fan but my current ride is a 97 Cat ZR 440 and I'm just looking to get back to my roots I guess. Been away too long. Anyway, I'm new here, been lurking over the years but never signed on until tonight. I'm 42, still racing MX in the Senior A class on my 00 YZ 250 and will be looking for this Yamaha sled this summer. I just need a new project sled now and figured this would be a good place to start it all off. My first Yamaha sled was a 76 Enticer I bought from my supervisor when I was working at Yamaha R&D while still in HS back in 1980. It's strange, but I kind of miss that thing. Had more fun, just plain actual fun on that sled then anything since. Also raced it once in a XC race in Heartland Racing Assoc. If Yamaha had been making a 440 race sled in 96 when I bought that Cat I doubt I would have switched over. Can't complain though the Cats been a good sled for me and still enjoy it.

So, spill the specifics on the twins for me guys. What works, what doesn't etc.

I love these sleds I used to race cross country and ran a 500. I have a 500sxr (supposidly for the girlfriend) with what I call simple mods it will out run my buddies stock 700sxr. On a long lake run it will bounce 3 digits (radar, actually the speedo is dam close) and we were at a 1000ft radar run last week it posted just under 88mph. In the woods it's a gas to ride because it's so light.

I had a 97 600 sx and I added a thin head gasket, clutch kit and v force reeds. was a lot snappier. had problems with it, but it was old and I had a retarded dealer (have stopped going there) that messed it up for me. I thought I heard somewhere that someone had a twin and they had put wildcat 700cc top end on it to make a 700 twin. had a lot of tq I heard. about all I know

we used to put 700's in Exciter's but I've never seen one in a newer sled not to say it hasn't been done

i have one of those lol. there are still pipes avail for them but i wont buyem. i like my sleds to last. i did put mbrp can on mine and it still pulls about the same. best up grade to do though is the track. put a ripsaw on that bad boy and you will not belive the difference. clutching needs attention. i dont have a trail set up yet but workin on one. the only other thing to do to the newer ones is to port and do the reed stopper notch. (ambition still hasnt met need yet)

yea there really isn't that much that you can do to those twins. Not near as reliable as the triples either.

I've decided I'm going to go triple unless I come across a great deal on a 600 twin. The mpg figures of the triple are a bit more appealing too. I guess we'll see what I can find over the summer.

good choice, you will probably be happier, and they are great engines to do a few cheap/free things to to wake them up nice. adn the sound is intoxicating ;)

Hey Jeff,
I'm up the same alley as you. I want a new Yamaha, but I would prefer a sx600r. However, I always thought that the sx600r's were triples, not twins, b/c in '99 the V-max SX turned its 600 motor into a triple, and its succesor, the sx-r had the 600 triple motor as well. Is this correct? Thanks.
Patrick D.
vetter1972@yahoo.com

SX600R is a tripple ;) I ride with a guy who has an SX500R and its no contest. His clutched would run side by side with me up to 90mph on the speedo then I would walk away, after installing Turks clutch setup on my SX600R its no contest as he can't touch me. The 500 is only 12# lighter (wieghed on the scale at my parents farm). I get 2-3mpg better gasmileage also.

I think I might have found the sled I want. 97 Vmax SX 700 for $2000, 3000 miles on it. All I will have to do is update suspension on it and maybe a new track. I probably won't do much for motor mods with it beyond clutching, at least not right away. Man, I cannot wait get to home again!!!

I'll be leaning on you guys for advice come September...if you don't mind.

do a long travel kit for it, from pioneer or maxximum performance. I did it on my 97 600sx and it made it perfect without losing the on rails handling. want some plastic skis for it? ;) have some stock ones from my 03 viper that I am trying to unload :) lol

What kind of travel numbers did it offer up with the long travel kit? I guess it doesn't matter but it will be a good place to start. Black skis with blue handles I presume? I might be interested if the price is right. Drop me a PM. I'm sure I can get some red handles.

the long travel kit takes it to like 11.25 inches, so basically the same as the stock long travel yamahas, but the travel seems to be used much better in the long travel kits in my opinion because the shocks are valved to your rider weight and riding style. Stock valving is a joke.

i had a '97 SX 700 and pretty much loved everything about it. Those things corner incredible with a good set of skis (C&A's were my choice). I had Aaen triples on it and she rocked with some good clutching. My buddies '98 SRX never stood a chance to that thing.

hows the headlight? If I remember right people used to say they were weak. Any fix for that?

Last edited:
yes they are pretty weak. I put a 100/55 watt bulb in it and it was a lot brighter, but everything would dim when i would hit the brakes, not really a big deal, just something to get used to.

Ok, let me ask then, which year was this improved? I am guessing it didn't happen until at least 2000?

Back