water pump leak

viperino

my 97sx700 has a coolant leak out the bottom of the water pump.....i have since replaced the labrynth seal which greatly reduced the leak however didnt completely stop it........ does anyone have any ideas or run into a similar problem?
:o|

why would you replace the labrynth seal?? it's the mechanical impeller seal that's leaking. no easy way to do a proper repair. pull motor out. also replace the oil pump seal behind it.
bob

you don't need to replace the oil seal in most cases, unless it is dripping oil out of the weep hole along with the antifreeze.

why would't you change the oil seal also?? it costs about $2.00 & it sits directly behind the mechanical seal. comes out a lot easier than the mech. seal. also red locktite the impeller splines & the impeller bolt. have seen the bolt come out & it ruins the cover & impeller.
bob

aahhh ok thanks guys.... i didnt realize ther was a weeping hole ther......that explains things....i have the motor out now.....will i need to tear it apart to change the mechanical seal or is ther a way to replace it without having to take it all apart?

disregard my last message....i found out the answer in some other threads...thanks alot for the help....ill post results when available :rocks: :rocks:

also do NOT loctite the impeller splines and shaft because it is designed to be a floating seal, which is why there is horizontal and vertical movement of the mechanical seal. The impeller will not stay tight to the shaft even with the loctite because of the forces of flow pulling on it. The pieces of loctite will just come out and get into the system.

yamaholic22:
is there anything you don't think your an expert on?? i've noticed from your previous posts that you give out opinions which you obviously haven't researched. my advice on the water pump seal comes not only from my personal experience but from bender racing who probably has a bit more experience with yamaha motors than you. think first before you post. don't post just to see your name in print.
bob

well what is your REASONING for loctiting the splines? The bolt yes, obvious reasons. The splines...? If the impeller is even slightly turned when put onto the shaft and is forced to be locked in that position, it will have a wobble and the rubber on the mechanical seal won't seal tight against the ceramic. Wow do some people have tempers

yamaholic22:
you are joking right?? obviously you have never replaced a mechanical seal on a sx or srx water pump shaft. it is impossible to put the impeller on the shaft & not have the splines line up. the bolt isn't long enough to catch the threads of the shaft if the splines are not lined up & the impeller pushed on.
the splines are locktited as a secondary safety percaution in case the screw backs out.
bob

that was NOT what i meant. You are right, i have never done this before so it is just pure speculation and guessing on my part. What i MEANT was that there is slop between the splines on the shaft and the splines on the impeller, so even with it bolted on tight (the bolt bottoms out against the shaft, not the impeller) there is still a small amount of play between the two sets of splines, allowing a small amount of movement of the impeller. Man you really gotta calm down, you are the only person i have EVER had any resistance with on this site.

yamaholic22:
if you have never done this before then why would you respond to a post asking for help on the topic?? also when i tell him what to do you tell him that's not the way to do it??
there is no movement between the splines & yes the bolt does tighten to the impeller & not the shaft.
people come on here for help. help them out by responding only when you know for sure your info is correct.
bob

Hey buddy, guess what? That first line was something called SARCASM. I have done several of the waterpump seals, and know plenty on them and how they work. Obviously you must not, stating that the bolt tightens to the impeller, instead of the shaft. Why don't you tear one apart quick and LOOK at it. The bolt head bottoms out against the shaft before it does on the impeller.

Hey Bob,
Are you here just to contradict everybody. I have seen other posts where you have done the same.
The guy that started this thread has looked to another site because of your attitude. Yamaholic knows his stuff and has given alot of good advice.
If you are just trying to cause some friction go elsewhere.

yamyrider said:
Hey Bob,
Are you here just to contradict everybody. I have seen other posts where you have done the same.
The guy that started this thread has looked to another site because of your attitude. Yamaholic knows his stuff and has given alot of good advice.
If you are just trying to cause some friction go elsewhere.

I AGREE!!!!! Seems you always have the opposite thing to say compared to everyone elses posts. Yamaholic is VERY knowledgable, and has helped many on this forum without any contradictions. Knowbody has anything bad to say about him, and always gives CORRECT advise. Seems there are more and more people coming to this forum just to ruin things. The guy knows what he is talking about, plain and simple. just my .02

Yamaholic has always been a gentleman to everyone here. Why He even gives reach arounds!!!LOL. Just fooling. He is knowledgable and he has given me great advice before. No need to dog anyone on this site. We are all here to help each other out!!

Back