79 SRX Test Run

vmax3

After 3 months of repairing the wreck of a sled I bought, I finally took it out for a test run on wet grass. I have to say that I have a long way to go to be complete, but the thing really goes good. Must more power 78 Exciter 440. I will send some pictures once the hood and seat are finished.
:yam:

I put 44mm taper bore TMX carbs on my 80 SRX, Aaen race pipes and porting, cut head, and she pulls hard..

Funny thing is my hood is not painted yet either, lol, soon though...... here is a pic of her on the lake after beating a Viper 700 Triple

Attachments

• AlmostDone (1).JPG
    AlmostDone (1).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • AlmostDone (2).JPG
    AlmostDone (2).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 18
  • AlmostDone (3).JPG
    AlmostDone (3).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
  • AlmostDone (4).JPG
    AlmostDone (4).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 36
  • AlmostDone (5).JPG
    AlmostDone (5).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
looks nice, even without paint! painting it stock? I LOVE the 80 SRX paint scheme! sounds like it runs nice

Yeah im keeping it stock looking paint, I have all the origonal stickers waiting to install after the paint, I'm not sure how much I cut off the seat, what i done was remove the under seat heat exhchanger and cut the foam level with that, then put in a peice where the tailight was, swapped out the gas/oil tank with a small 3 quart Go cart tank, lightened everything I could like titanium gears, drilled rotor, and a 76 rear skid (all aluminum at 29 pounds, stock steel 80 one was 60 pounds) that I modified with longer rails to accept a 121x1" polaris track, hooks up awesome......... Lots of time gone into this sled, and she's almost finished, can 't wait.

wow, very impressive sounding project! hoping to get my merc trail twister (fan cooled) going and together like that! nice to see project progress, gives me extra incentive

Srx

Very nice sled, I will send in a couple pics of mine soon. Hopefully the hood will be panted and ready to go back on next week

SRX Progress

Here are a couple pics of the wreck I bought this summer, after spending a good part of my summer weeks ends working the sled is finally coming together. The hood should be redone byt next weekend, then I will have a few more weeks of smaller details to take care of.

Attachments

• srx june.JPG
    srx june.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • srx sept.JPG
    srx sept.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 24
  • srx 1 sept.JPG
    srx 1 sept.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 20
looks like it was a solid project sled. what did you pay for it? LOVE to get an old srx in that shape and do the same thing. project sleds kick @$$ :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Srx

I paid less than $500 for it, but it was in much worse shape than I initially thought. I have replaced almost everything on it. I cant wait to really get it dialed in, It really hauls just as it is right now.

QUOTE=03viperguy]looks like it was a solid project sled. what did you pay for it? LOVE to get an old srx in that shape and do the same thing. project sleds kick @$$ :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:[/QUOTE]

waht needed redoing? are those pics they way it was when you bought it? still seems like afun project :)

Srx

the first picture was when I bought it in June. The second and third pics with out the hood are from today. The sled was barely good for a parts rig when I got it, now after 3 months of disassembly, cleaning, polishing, reassembley, many new and used parts, and nearly 2 grand later, it is finally somewhat better that before.

03viperguy said:
waht needed redoing? are those pics they way it was when you bought it? still seems like afun project :)

vmax3, you had the same idea i have. i just bought a rough 79 srx with no motor but good chassis. i have a 78 srx with a good motor and bad chassis so hopefully this weekend i'll put the both of them in the garage and start tearing them down and make one good one.

Back