Oil pump replacement??

Tod

VIP Member
97 700SX - how do I replace it???

Looks like I remove the motor mount and then i can get to it.???
Is there a bleeder screw or how do you prime the oil pump?
can I hook my cordless drill to it and make it start pumping first?

I'm only replacing it because I still have the bone stock unit on my SX and this one is off a 99SX with only 500 miles on it at the time of the crash.

Tod

1. Remove carbs
  2. Remove Rear Engine Mount
  3. Remove pump
  4. Remove lines and cable
  5. Replace lines and cable (bleed line)
  6. Replace pump, make sure seal is good
  7. Bleed screw is on top of pump beside cable (open till no more bubbles come out)
  8. Replace Rear Engine Mount
  9. Replace carbs
  10. Throrough check for everything
  11. Stay off the throttle until you are sure it is getting oil to crank and fuel pump

My opinion......run a couple gallons of premix along with the pump. That way you're sure the engine is getting oil. Do that until you see the oil level dropping.

yes the premix is a good idea, and I am planning on doing it because I am also going to have a fresh top end to break in.

I'm filled up with Klotz right now so I got to switch back to Yamalube for break in. So will mix up some pre-mix also.

Tod

Last edited:
Tod you're going to have a whole new sled! ;)! Was something wrong with your old top end?

Still runs strong but............. 7000 miles and the pistons are .001 - .002 out of spec so I am doing all new top end. Pistons, rings, rod bearing, piston pins, cir clips, gaskets, the works. New reeds. Going through the suspention front and rear, re-build off all shocks. Going through both cluches with a fine tooth comb. you name it its geting attention.

In my opinion it is not worth selling so I am going through the whole thing and just keep it forever and get a four stroker soon. (probably for the 07 season)

Tod

Back