Jumpin

VmaxSx600

Ok im into the whole jumpin thing but im scared im gonna really screw up my sled jumpin it... the jumps i hit are bout like 6 feet tall... is there anything to worry bout on my 98 Sx 600?

yes, you dont have a long travel rear skid, the skid isnt tough enough to withstand that, and the mounts on the early trailing arm sleds for the trailing arms are weak and the rivets tend to break where they attach to the running boards. thats my experience with that sled lol! just dont jump it, not worth it :(

yea ya konw i really love the sled to death but its just not built up to todays abuse haha my dads got a viper and soon ill be gettin that as a hand me down hehe i love his sled so smooth and in control

I wouldnt worry much about your 98. Just watch the w arm for cracks. I put several hard seasons on my 98, and all is well with trailing arm mounts. I did how ever long travel last year, should have done it sooner imo. Much nicer when you land from the larger jumps.

I put bolts in my trailing arm mounts, they are alot stronger than those stupid rivits.

what are you doing with the sx when you get the viper?? if it is next summer you are getting the viper, think of me if you sell the sx :) I really miss mine, although probably fond memories are better than reality lol!

Are you jumping off a fixed ramp / jump that you set up yourself, or anywhere you find one?

If it is a jump that you set up, just make the landing zone long and significantly downhill. It will take most of the impact out of the jump.

If it is wherever you find a jump, you are likely going to break something sooner or later, even on newer sleds. The more you jump the higher you like to go, and the screwups have much greater consequences . . .

or so I've heard . . .

Not that I would actually know anything about that from personal experience . . . LaLaLa

that sx is one of the best flatlander sleds in the business,on any groomed trail it will out handle most of todays sleds,stud it and get rid of the steel skis. does it have ohlins? i love my sx here kicks *** on the tight and twisty trails.

yea i got plastic skis and a silencer and stuff its one of the lightest sleds ive ever ridden and i *was* gonna have ohliins but the guy who sold it to us kept em and put the stock ones on the sx

well thank you,viper guy!

as for the ohlins,i would pass on them for studding,your sx will handle totally different with studs.but the track on mine took a dump after 1200 miles,went to a camoplast and im on the 3rd season and it looks almost new.i kinda wish i had kept the shorter travel(8")the sx's handle like there on rails,and the 8" travel is why low center of gravity.

what did you do for the rear that it isnt short any more?? I did the maxx long travel kit and it was almost ALL drop out travel, hardly a noticeable difference in ride height :)

just a maxx kit, or a viper/sxr skid? the 8" is actually pretty plush I thought, just bottomed too soon

I have the maxx long travel kit on my srx and it sits quite a bit higher. With a lot of center spring in it, it lifts a lot of ski in the corners, really makes me miss my '97 sx 700 sometimes, that thing cornered like an indy car, easier to get it sideways in the corner than make it lift a ski.

Back