Gees, problems removing primary, oh my god

you will need a bit of grease to hydraulic it out. at least 10-15 pumps or more. as far as heat goes, do you have a propane torch or a oxy-acetaline torch? a heat gun or portable heater will not be enough. but before the heat i would spray the crank end (not clutch) with freon or some kind of refridgerant. it will shrink the crank and it might do the trick!

yea as he said, a heat gun is definately NOT going to be enough heat to get that thing off of there, you are going to need an oxy acetelene or similar to get that daddy off of there if the grease doesn't work. Seems like everyone has at least one horror story of this task. :o|

Ok guys thanks again.

It`s a propane heater, I can take a picture of it tomorrow.
The flame coming out of it is kind of big so I`m alittle worried but I guess I will have to make a shield that protects the engine & crank seal. Should I heat it until it gets red?.

If the seal goes to hell, can it be replaced from the outside?.

the seal shouldn't be in any contact with the flame whatsoever. The way it could get burned is by the crank actually getting hot enough from conduction that it melts the seal. You are going to be heating it in the flat smooth area at the bottom of the clutch, between the sheaves (where the belt sits at idle). If you have to resort to heat it is very likely you are going to have to get it pretty damn hot.

If we`ll have to use the propane heater, I`ll put a wet rag around the inside of the sheave (between the primary and the engine) so that it cools the seal/crank.

Tomorrow I am going to my friend again to make a new try, I`m very excited.
HPIM0907Medium.jpg

Should these plastic washers be inserted in a special way or something?. Wierd shape on them.

Hi everybody !

Problems solved! Got the primary off today and mounted the new Comet primary.

HPIM0908Medium.jpg

My friend with the tools.

We tried the grease trick with little suckcess, I therefor decided to heat the bastard with the propane heater. And after some struggling it finally came off. I heated it and then tighened the puller alittle more, then it came off.

HPIM0909Medium.jpg

We covered the engine with a wet towel.

HPIM0910Medium.jpg

Put a wet rag around near the seal. (removed on this pic)

HPIM0912Medium.jpg

Finally!.

HPIM0913Medium.jpg

The threads in the crank was alittle bad because the bent puller had touched them.

HPIM0914Medium.jpg

And there you have it. We fired her up and it seemed to work perfect. So nice not having to listen to all that rattling.. (the old pimary sounded like it was going to explode any moment).

I hope this primary will last and that not further adjustmens will be necesary.

Thanks alot for the tips guys.

Been der dun dat......Grease only works on a partially stuck primary clutch. If they friction fit together from improper tightening or torqueing you gotta use nuclear heat to get em off. You will not hurt the seal. Good lesson here for future reference!!!

Glad to hear you got it off!! I put a Comet 108exp ON MY 87 Exciter and it performed great. The only issue I had was the Comet calibration. I found that their recommended weights and spring resulted in over reving (49 g A1 weights, silver spring). I ended up moving to the Comet blue or yellow spring and used some CAT 53g weights. Everone told me that a 570 cc Exciter wouldn't pull the 53g weights, but it worked great and it was more fun to ride.

Just check your top end shift RPM (not sure what it should be for your sled). You want to be runnning at the peak of your torque curve.

Was there signs of snow on the ground in yor pictures??? I'm envious!!

Cheers

Exciterfan
(now riding an 2001 SXR600)

Eciterfan, no it wasn`t snow in the pics... it`s horrible, isn`t it?. I hope the ground will be covered by the end ot this month or something.. but for all I know I might have to wait till christmas eve, a few years ago the first snow came on christmas eve, sucks doesn`t it.
I will try to check if there is some overrew, I hope there isn`t, thanks for the tip.

How much speed should you be able to get on a 1996 V-Max 600XT?. Stock gearing.

Bluewho, what did you mean with
you cant beat those removable panels for working on the exciters.
?. I didn`t quite understand..

Back