78/79 SRX project

TimeBomb

i got my waverunner back sooner than i thought from being winterized but i made room for them anyway. here they are, 79 srx with a good chassis and no motor and the 78 with a good motor and bad chassis

Attachments

• srx440tr.jpg
    srx440tr.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 78srx.jpg
    78srx.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 79srx.jpg
    79srx.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17

thanks, i completly stripped except the rear skid on the 79 today. it was pretty fun actually, suprisingly everything came apart easy for how long it has sat outside except the seat. i pretty much destroyed the seat to get that off but it was junk anyway.

yeah the 78 chassis has alot of dings in the belly pan and the tunnel is tore up pretty bad, where the hood hinges bolt to the chassis is just about ripped off. the 79 is perfect, no dings, scratches or anything. just the hood is faded and the seat is junk.

takin them apart is cheap , puttin it back together - $$$$$$ but it is fun
hope to finish my 81 before snow hits

Attachments

• Oct17277.JPG
    Oct17277.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Oct17303.JPG
    Oct17303.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 13
  • Oct17319.JPG
    Oct17319.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 14
those have to be one of the coolest body styles yamaha ever came up with.i remember those when they first came out and how they looked futuristic for the time especially when you compare them to the motorcycles of that era.i hope to come across a vmax down the road when my current project is finished.

srx

nice sled. I am sure you will have fun putting it all back together.
what do you have planned for mods???

time

I WISH no its the 82 that yamaha never made one mines just a 81 440 (473) there was one one ebay was at 10100.00 yesterday with the reserve not met !

Those are stock pipes

No, those are stock pipes. The Aaen pipes have individual cone sections when built, silencers built into each pipe on the trail pipes, they exit out the side of the bellypan just above the right side bottom. The wild pipes have no silencer, open stingers out thru the footwell.

did any company make twin pipes that split? one goes on the right side and the other out the left side just below the cowl?
mrviper700 said:
No, those are stock pipes. The Aaen pipes have individual cone sections when built, silencers built into each pipe on the trail pipes, they exit out the side of the bellypan just above the right side bottom. The wild pipes have no silencer, open stingers out thru the footwell.

oh, i thought it was 81 that the 500 was built. so in 81 the changed the style?
SRXfromHELL said:
I WISH no its the 82 that yamaha never made one mines just a 81 440 (473) there was one one ebay was at 10100.00 yesterday with the reserve not met !

yes 81 was the first year -remenber my dad taking me to the dealership to get me a sled I begged him for that srx ,went home with an enticer 340
Dad lookin out for me then , but i got one now lol ;)!

i've got the motor out of the 78, sundays are really my only day to work on them. today was the 1st time i've really looked at the 78 and pulling the motor out i noticed ALOT of "cobs" that the previous owner did. the wiring alone is a complete mess. but i'm most likely going to just make new wiring harnesses. i'll have some pics once i get a nice day to wash them.

Back