Okay, Boys, let's talk tires !!

bluehammer

A couple of years ago I'm making my way up I75 pulling the enclosed 14' box, doing my best in all the greasy snow on the 4 lane, and here come the guys with the 20 footers and going around me. Now I'm thinking that they have all had too many road pops along the way or there might be something to the tires they are running. I pull with a newer Tahoe and am running Goodyear Wranglers. I thought that was a good tire for what I'm doing with it, but I don't like the feel on the light slush doing the speed limit or more. It's almost time for new rubber. Any of you guys have suggestions on the tire that solves your problem under these conditions? :o|

I run Bridgestone Dueler Revos on my Excursion pulling a 24' enclosed, and very rarely use 4 wheel drive. They are by far the best traction tire that I have had and the tread wear is great. You can go to tireracks web site and see ratings and compare different tires.

edunn69 said:
I run Bridgestone Dueler Revos on my Excursion pulling a 24' enclosed, and very rarely use 4 wheel drive. They are by far the best traction tire that I have had and the tread wear is great. You can go to tireracks web site and see ratings and compare different tires.

Well, if you want the ultimate, get the Bridgestone Winter Duelers... I've got those on my '94 Nissan PU and I don't even know when it snows! We've got the Revo's on my wife's truck, and they're pretty good, better than the HT's that came on it!

Mike

saying you have wranglers is like saying I drive a chevy, they make a wide selection of different tread designs for different applications. ALSO DONT begin to think a different tire is going to make someone a better ( less causious ) driver, I have riden with guys
that I did not feel safe with but drove the same truck / trailer faster with no problem.
different trucks ( wheel base ) different trailers ( hitch to axle pivot )( hitch weight % )
and tire ply rating will all play a factor in how well a trailer tows
PS if you have Wrangler RT/S they have a closed shoulder that doesnt allow slushy snow to exit the tread area very well other tires like the new Wrangler with Silent Armour will work MUCH better and of course there or other brands that work well too

They're the stock Wranglers that came with the Z71 package on the 03's. Mud and snow rated and 16 x 265 size. I've had this tire on more than one new truck application and they have always felt like they just weren't holding the pavement well enough when pullling.

bluhammer I hate those tires there's no sidewall it feels like you have a flat tire.I like bfgoodrich all terain's.I think there the best all around tire.There a tad noiser than stock tires but alot better traction even on ice.

check out the forum at www.letstalksnow.com plenty of tire talk over there. I have been very impressed with the set of Cooper M+S that i put on the rear of a 2 wheel drive F-150 that one of my crews use for snowblowing. I have Cooper STT's on my pick-up and love them, but most people feel they are too agressive.

Nate

I just ordered 6 Wrangler Silent Armor tires for my dually crew cab Silverado. Having them put on Monday. I've been running Goodyear Workhorse tires, but they're not very aggressive for snow. I've got 90,000 miles on them, and will be putting them back on in the Spring. Best tires I've ever had. I never drive over 65 on the highway pulling my 24' enclosed trailer, but have never felt unsafe at that speed. bluehammer - I'm with you. There are guys pulling 24' trailers and passing me like I'm standing still! I've got to assume those are the same guys who come around the blind corners on my side of the trail doing 50mph.
I've also got BFGoodrich all-terrain tires on my extended cab Silverado. I don't know the exact model number offhand, but they're very nice tires and don't make much road noise.
Shark

WOOOO never said anything bad about a bowtie, I have 3 GM products 1 ext cab pick-up. Just saying longer the wheel base the more stabile the tow!
tire plys & construction has alot to do with towing, holding the pavement? even when its dry? if so you need a heavier constriction PLYS or MORE air lots of guys come into my shop trying to pull heavy trailers with 25# in the back tires it wont feel good.

Last edited:
B F G's all terrain's all the way ,had them on a dakota and pulled a 4 place for many years, excellent ice traction.

I've towed with BFG Mud Terrains with no problems... they're not really a winter tire per say, but they work just fine for me.

I will say, the best winter tire i've driven on is the BFG AT. I've had about 8 sets of different tires for my Blazer, and all in all, the AT's were the best in the snow (although i don't ever recall towing with them)

Last edited:
Well, you've given me some good answers. I've always felt that the factory tires were not the answer. Anyone have opinions about Michelin's?

I put a set of Michelin LTX m/s on my Wife's Escape and so far I love them, especially when compared to the Firestones it came with. Just that extra little grip in the wet/snow that was missing before. We don't tow with this vehicle, but when the tires on my Superduty wear out, I'll look seriously at these. Got them at Costco. The stock tires on the last three vehicles have had all lacked in the wet/snow grip range. I think the munufacturers use the tire with the least amount of road noise and the softer ride, which generally doesn't translate into good wet/snow tires.

i loved the wrangler h/t i had on my truck till my brother burnt em off pullin a trailer at 140 kph in +30 celcius wearther in the summer on a 5hour trip.

i put bridgestone dueller at revo on to replace them. im sorry to say they suck by comparason.

truck is 1998 k1500 4x4 extended cab long box with 5.0l motor.

now the wranglers from the factory are pure junk. i got stuck on the grass with those

I have Bridgestone M/D on mine and they suck. They are all craked up not form abuse, this is my second set and they cracked again. Go with B.F.G I never had a problem with those.

Michelin LTX M/S are great tires, had them on my Sub, when they wore out I put some Yokohama Geolanders on it. Also a great tire. Get E load rated tires if you tow a lot.

Im running bf all terrains on my extended cab 01' chevy. 285's

I had duellers on my blazer.

I had bf mud terrains on my jeep

I have blizztec's on my wifes eclipes

All in all the bf all terrains have the best traction. The duellers on my buddies truck are wearing better then my bf's. My duellers on my blazer lasted for 75,000 miles. My mud terrains on my jeep lasted 80,000+ miles.

Just my 2 cents! ;)!

Bigger the tire, less the wear.

BFG All terrains, no question. They have aggressive lugs on the sides for deeper/softer terrain, and ride in the center section on the highway, which clears the treads and gets you into all those lovely molded in sipes. They wear very well too! I've had 3 sets, and my Dodge still has Goodyear At/s's on it...They suck! All around, I feel Goodyears suck, they have a reputation for racing, but they're fleet tires are half assed. The MT/R's are an exception, but they have a totally different carcass than the other models.

BFG makes their mud/all terrains on the same carcass, very strong! Baja racers run these tires off the shelf, with many victories to show for it! They will take anything the average truck can dish out.

I use Yokohama Geolander AT+II's on my trucks. Very nice looking aggressive tread design, they wear nice and the price is good.

Attachments

• Side View 001.jpg
    Side View 001.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8

Back