tunnel polishing?

My tunnel was already polished when I got it. To freshen it up in the summer I take off the seat, rear plastic cover over the hoses and polish with Mothers and a 3 1/2 terry pad and white cotten shirts to wipe off the black polish. Durring the season I wipe with clean white cotten t-shirt after every ride. Its looks like a mirror and turns heads. If you have scratch in the tunnel, use some WET sand paper (fine) and wet it in water and sand the scratch. Then polish the area and the scratch will be gone, may need to repeat.

what about polishing tunnels on older sleds? i have a 79' srx that i'm polishing and so far i just can't get it to come out that great. the guy i got the sled from had it sitting outside since 94. seems like the tunnel is so weathered that it won't come out that well. it looks better than it did but still not that great. anyone know what i can do?

vintage polishing

I did my 79 SRX and it took al ot of work , but it is coming out good. Lots of elbow grease, and using an electric polisher helped me alot too.

TimeBomb said:
what about polishing tunnels on older sleds? i have a 79' srx that i'm polishing and so far i just can't get it to come out that great. the guy i got the sled from had it sitting outside since 94. seems like the tunnel is so weathered that it won't come out that well. it looks better than it did but still not that great. anyone know what i can do?

www.wizardsproducts.com
lots of good products...I use there metal polish...comes in what looks like a band-aid can...a little swab goes a long way, so don't let the price freak you out.
one can has lasted over 5 years and did 4 complete tunnels + lots of other stuff.
did the viper in about 3 hours.. totally by hand.
terry cloth wipes and buffs very well.
be patient and do a small 3x3" patch at a time.
compared it to never dull a friend has and I will stick with the wizards.

Last edited:
polishing

Reflections Polishing. Ypsilanti, Mi (Ann Arbor) His specialty is motorcycles but he will polish anything to look like chrome. GAURANTEED. He has a website.Check it out

Last edited:
vmax3 said:
I did my 79 SRX and it took al ot of work , but it is coming out good. Lots of elbow grease, and using an electric polisher helped me alot too.

i went over it again on easter sunday, its getting better. i think you're right, just alot of elbow grease. you have any pics of yours?

I could possibly do someone elses tunnel if desired. I can do any polishing for anyone and any part of their sled, I can do the cylinders, waterrail, heads, anything that is aluminum I can polish for you. As for cost, I would imagine it would be around $200-$250 but it would come out like a mirror. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, that cost would also include stripping the paint off the tunnel. Thanks

Last edited:
2000SRx-So how manylabor hours did it take you to polish your tunnel? Also, other than the seat, did you remove any of the surrounding plastics or just tape them off?

BigMan76

Well the first time I did it, it took forever, (~8 hours). lol If I did it again right now stripping and polishing the tunnel, it would take about 2-4 hours I would think. Stripping takes awhile because you need to go over it some many times to get everything off. Then you are able to start polishing. The only thing I took off was the seat, rear bumper and guard, and I believe the snowflap. Everything else stayed on and I did not mask off anything. I was careful to only spray the remover on the chassis though, I didn't go wild.

BTW, go check out your sled in the photo section Mike, looks great.

Sp the remover; I bought the same kind you had linked to previously; it took off the stickers and all?!

BTW; checked out the pics-your shop rocks!!! I can't wait for the snow to fly; that ride is sick!

When I stripped my chassis, I used a different stripper (boat stripper) and it was not as efficient as the aircraft paint stripper. The boat stripper finally took off the stickers after about the 5th application. I would imagine the aircraft paint stripper should take it off much quicker then that. That is why my chassis took me so long was I used the wrong stripper. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

mrtahoe i can polish your tunnel for you i just did yamimans v max 4 and it looks great. i live 30 minutes from you. give me a call and i will give you a good price.1-616-318-4560. just e mail me.

You mean the ones on the side in the footwell? If so then no. lol

I am not that picky how my sled looks in very close detail such as polishing the steel tubing as that would take a long time and you would have to seal it to prevent rust. I would not do it because you will just have problems with rust in the future once you take the coating on the steel off of it.

You starting to polish it up? BTW, your "FAVORITE" phazer is now extended to a 136 with some custom fab brackets made by us. We are now struggling making the widse skis fit. Not having any luck currently.

Stripping the tunnel tomorrow; that's what I thought as far as the tubular steel in teh footwells, i.e. rust, etc.

As for the mountain skis on the Phazer-I figured they would be similar to all the posts I have seen here on TY as to making plastic stock skis fit . . .let me know if I was crazy as I have another two T.S.S. sleds I am looking to throw skis on . . .

TimeBomb said:

what i would recommend is to wet sand with 2000 the go to 2500 then polish also flitz is an excellent polishing media and it also does plastic.

Back