V-max 4 Banger Makeover!

I figured it was a top speed thing :) so is the sled yours now, or just a shop sled? didnt realize the viper skid was that heavy! whats the mono weigh, any idea??

This sled is basically a back up sled or a guest sled when we go riding, no one in our family really "rides it" but if it starts to beat my SRX, rest assure that I will get some seat time on it and bring it out to some lakes for fun ;)! The first goal for this 800 is to beat my SRX which will take some time in order to clutch it and make sure everything is working alright. We have some pistons and rings in stock for it if necessary but I will do a compression check on it today. I personally hope that it will be able to beat my 700 but right now, I am not so sure that it will. WE have never run my SRX with a racing track in it like this and have never radared it on Ice but with a 1" lug track on hardpack, my sled has seen 115 on radar so if we were to throw a racing track into it on Ice, I would believe to see about 122 on radar. Should be a good match for the 800.

As for the monoshock, I have never personally weighed it like I have all of these other skids but by what they are claiming it should be around 60-62 pounds I believe. No sure entirely.

very nice v-max u have.. thats what i kinda want, somthing to restore over a period of time. To pick at ya knoW? iDidn't evan get to Try out my Big Bore, me and a friend took apart the engine and found out that theres 1 pto side bearing destroyed and 1 inner pto being on its way out. that kinda kills me as for driving her any bit this winter. im done with it but would still like to pick up a old MM or somthing to restore. good job : ))

sounds fricker ferocious!!! awesome! cant wait to see the finished product, and thanks for posting the vid!

so is the big max just a better sled for top end runs than the srx?? I had one and thought it was fast, but acceleration wasnt as strong as I would have thought, but it had the stock, studless track and chocked it up to a lack of traction limiting the acceleration! nice stuff guys!

Nice project. I currently have a 750 that's just for tinkering with.

Just curious you indicate that you used 2000 degree hi temp paint. Do you mind telling me who makes that paint, 2k should hold up well.

Canuck, VHT makes that paint and it held up extremely well.

Okay guys, I thought I would bring this to your attention. As many of you know, my SRX is very fast and had an undeafeated season this year up against many fast sleds. I raced uncountable F7's, 2-3 XCR 800's, 2 Mach z's, 3 Apex's, and alot of other big iron sleds and I had not been beat the entire year with the exception of our RX1 on nitrous. Well after we fixxed up the V-max 4 we took it out to run against "the top dog" aka my SRX. My dad was on the V-max 4 and first we went from a dead stop. He hammered it and I thought the sled was going to flip over with that track we put in it because the skis lifted considerably and right away I noticed I am 5 sleds behind. It took longer then I expected to catch him but I did infact catch him. We then switched sleds (he outweighs me by 60 pounds). I launch out of the hole and we were basically dead even near the end of the race. We do this for a while and we realize the SRX still has the V-max by a good 3-4 mph top end. During all of these races, we were running a 47-41 helix and the RPM were only at 8300 because we were not sure if the Pipes ran at 8300 or 8800. So we went back and we swapped out the helix to a 39 straight helix to see if we could get it up to 8800 RPM. Well, we did a short race and once again he gets me out of the hole really bad and I notice this time that I am NOT CATCHING HIM. We go all the way down to the end of the lake for a very long run to see if the SRX ever catches him. Out of the hole, he gets about a 3 sled lead and The three sled lead started to expand to about 4-5 sleds by the end of our 1.5 mile run. We then switch riders and we race with him on my SRX and me on the Vmax-4. I get a huge lead in the begining and by the end of 1.5 run, I was probably 15+ sleds ahead of my SRX. This Vmax is flat hauling right now and if we took it out on flat Ice, it would probably be back to a upper 120's sled on ice. I couldn't believe my SRX got beat! True Story.

Yup everyone should have a Vmax 4.........I just love pulling ionto the local gas station and everyone doew a double take and come over to have a gander at the v4's motor!!

can you even get serocharger systems anymore? they are defunct, right? who makes setups for older (read: 2 stroke) sleds?

lol, it is funny you bring that up, when we were riding around our lake a while back, there was a Vmax-4 800 frame with a 900 BB kit with a turbo on it. My dad was going to race him with his nitrous set up on the RX-1 but the sled broke down or something right before we were going to race him. I went over there and the hood was up on the sled. Would have been a fun race to watch.

A guy that I know has a turbo v max 4 I've seen it run 127mph in a 1000ft already.

Back