Clutch Noise, Very irregular!

Yamahammer485

Hey everyone

Let me just get the facts out of the way. Sled has 17500kms on it, treated extremely well but are alot of hard full throttle miles. Clutches cleaned all the time and only had one belt blow, which was a few years ago.

This noise sounds like nothing else iv heard before on a sled, not quite a grinding or screatching, or squealing. Best way to describe the noise is to shake the roller bolts back and forth really fast and that clacking noise of all them kind of sounds liek the noise. It all started at the end of last year, and it only occured after id pin it for a breif second, as to carry the skis for a bit or something, and now, it does it everytime I let off the gas and keeps going if im under 40km/h or so. It sounds preety brutal.

Here is the funny thing though, from what I can see, the clutch looks fine, no dirt or grime, nothing seems to be worn out bad or hardly at all, all the rollers spin fine and sound just liek anyother yamaha with the same primary as mine. Also, it has the exact same performance as it always has, and there is no extra dust or anything.

But heres something else I might note, it only happens after the clutches has warmed up, like 10 mins after I start riding for the first time that day. My primary also gets really hot, like so hot you cant touch it sometimes without pulling your hand away, but this is when im rodding it so maybe its regular...

Anyone have any ideas or comments about this??
If so, thanks in advance!
Feel free to ask more questions too!

might want to check your clutching cuz you don't want the clutches getting that hot. tru, they will get pretty warm over long pulls and after a full day, but if its gettin hot quick then its no good... as for the noise, i dunno

How are your plastic buttons ??? If they are worn down then you have metal on metal that will heat it up fast....Just an idea I have had it happen to my Phazer when I first got it .......

Thanks guys for the responses so far

I can rule out the jackshaft bearings, had them done at the end of last season.

Also, forgot to mention. The noise only occurs when the sled is moving on the ground, like if I sit it up on the stand or have someone lift up the track, the noise will not happen or happen extremely little.

Kyzer, what year was your phazer?, and can I see these buttons without tearing apart the clutch?

Im leaning towards the bushings being bad. This is becuase it keeps getting steadily worse and there is alot of kms on it....

Did you inspect the chain when you did the jackshaft? Starts making noise after the oil warms up and thins out... sound could be transmitting down the jackshaft to the secondary. Just another item to rule out.

Yammahammer "485"

Does this mean you have a 500 Fan cooled engine in there or is it liquid cooled?

The reason I ask is that the sounds you are describing sound like the common engine warm/hot crankshaft bearing chatter to me.

These engines are famous for it. You'd swear the motor or clutch is going to explode sometimes. What happens is that the crankcase expands more than the outer race of the bearing and therfore it chatters. I notice mine the most after a good burn and then a slow strain like pulling a hill slowly.

Hope this helps. If it is liquid cooel, not sure if same problem exists, but I know for sure it does with the fans.

Oh shes a 485 fan, same as the phazers engine.

I checked the crank seals and play in the crank and there is none and everythign is perfectly clean, looks liek brand new, and im not kidding either, its that clean...

Im gunna recheck the chaincase, I ususally find filings on the magnetic dipstick. Plus, I have heard a polaris make similar sounds from his chaincase, but not when going slow. Like if im trying to slowly go over a snowbank or something, the engine is revving kind of high, but the track isnt spiining, it will make that sound, so im thinking its not that chaincase because of this reason.

Does your jackshaft spline into a shorter shaft going into the chaincase. My older Venture is like that. My buddy had it strip out on a Vmax 500, apparetnly a common problem with Vmax's??

The engine rattle I talked about earlier won't show any signs of crank movement.

does it sound kind oflike a turbo spining down?
not there at a idel.
only after you rapit up and eguge the clutch.
check the clutch side bearing.
my wifes lost the seal and my old 97 700 gust lost the crank its self.
the inner rance will spin on the crank.

Check the sprocket for electric start that is bolted to the primary clutch. Mine came loose last weekend. The bolts started hitting the engine block. It sounded absolutely horrible.

Brake is perfect, including play in the rotor and brake pad wear and brake lever movement along with proper fluid level. Dont forget, I hear this noise when the sled isnt moving, but when the clutch is engaged and trying to get over a snowbank or something where the engine is revving quite a bit, but not turning the track fast or at all. This problem isnt drive related, but thanks anyways guys for the help!

Its also not the starter ring or the starter and starter sprocket, all is fine.

Anyone else have any ideas?

As of right now, im leaning towards clutch bushings. Maybe I can get a video/audio clip of it...

Yamahammer, I would put money on it that it is your primary clutch bearing, I have a VMAX 600 XT, I replaced all bushings and it now runs like a new sled. It had 12,000 kms on it when I rebuilt it. Those 485 engines are bullet proof just make sure you torque the heads on them and they will last forever, I have a 89 phazer with 27,000km on it and have never rebuilt the engine, it is amazing.

get in there and rebuild the clutches. Definately time, and that way you can rule that out.

Update:

Put a brand new belt on, cleaned the clutches once again. No change in noise

Im thinking its the bushings, but it really does sound like the roller bolts just smacking around. Can I tighten these a little, not all the way of course, but just so there isnt a huge amount of play, just reduce the play?

There should be 'flat washers' on either side of the rollers and weights, items 18 & 21 in the pic. You can't tighten the rollers or weights up by tightening the bolts.

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 8

Back