A few pictures from today (pics of the burned down V-Max 4)

kimoaj

Hi guys!

Shot a few pics today, the season is over and now it`s time to wrench on the sleds and maintain them:).

I really wonder what made the piston look like this?. Just overall "wear" throughout the years or?. All the other cylinders looked fine.

Any opinions?. I will get back with better pics when we tear the engine apart.

As you can see in pic nr.2 , a Doo guy came by so my friend took care of him as gently as he could, hehehe:).

In the last pic we are demonstrating that Yamaha`s ain`t heavy;).

Attachments

• IMG_1108 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1108 (Medium).JPG
    111 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1111 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1111 (Medium).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1112 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1112 (Medium).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1115 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1115 (Medium).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1119 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1119 (Medium).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1120 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1120 (Medium).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1121 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1121 (Medium).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1116 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1116 (Medium).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 42
Looks like detonation. How many km´s on it? Are the fuel pumps working ok?

66mm antitank rocket will take care of any sled problems, but please, USE on Doo´s!!!!!!!

Ike

Hi guys ! :)

What is detonation?. Like, "igniton bank" ?. (fuel/air ignites before piston reaches top dead center?).

Yeah Ike, only on Crap, Doos and Dogs.. .
(gees, if you ride any of these don`t be mad, I`m only kidding:)

Oh by the way it`s a 1994 with 13.000km on the clocks!.

So I guess it`s time for a rebuild.. .
When is it normal to change pistons?. around 8-10.000km`s ?.

Last edited:
First, I'm no expert and I've never even seen a Vmax 4 up close. Second, that looks like a lean burn down to me (exhaust side of piston is toast and dome looks lean). Third, I believe you mentioned it was an end cylinder which points towards a crank seal causing the lean condition, and 13,000 KM on the clock would support that theory. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong. :)

kimoaj said:

What is detonation?. Like, "igniton bank" ?. (fuel/air ignites before piston reaches top dead center?).

Yeah Ike, only on Crap, Doos and Dogs.. .
(gees, if you ride any of these don`t be mad, I`m only kidding:)

Oh by the way it`s a 1994 with 13.000km on the clocks!.

So I guess it`s time for a rebuild.. .
When is it normal to change pistons?. around 8-10.000km`s ?.

Post this to www.vmax4.com/vbulletin. There are some serious guru´s of those machines. Usually 10 000km´s is the mark where people change pistons and do rebuild on a 2-stroke. BUT V4´s have known to be running much longer than that without any problems.

Since there are only 2 cylinders locked up, I´m thinking a air leak somewhere? Bad seals in crank, busted rubber around the carbs? Dirty carbs after that muddy climd to that mountain? What size main jets did it have? And did it lock up when you reached the mountain = running hot after the climb, no idle? So, is the cooling system working, air bubble?

Lots of questions as you can see.... Just tear it all open, replace anything what looks like to be worn and you´ll be fine.

Ike

Thanks for the replies guys!

It was cylinder nr.2 that burned down, however I took a look at the plug from cylinder nr.1 and it looked lean, somewhat white plug.
I know thay my friend has had some problems with coolant leaks, but I think he got it fixed and also aired the system properly. But, it did seem like there was little coolant, but the system wasn`t empty.

It was very hot that day, around 8+c and more in the sun.
We crossed two lakes after the "climb" up to the mountain, so I don`t think it had anything to do with it.

But, I agree that it can look like an air leak or something, I don`t know what jets he uses but I`ll check that out when we tear it down.

Thanks for the replies guys I will keep you posted when we start tearing it down.

Hey 03 Viperguy

The car is a 1997 325 TDS or somthing, 6 cylinder diesel , chipped 170hp. It`s the V-Max 4 riders car.

Here are some pics of the car. (oh btw sorry for posting off topic pics)
IM004381Large.jpg

IM004382Large.jpg

IM004384Medium.jpg

And here`s a picture of me on my bike, from yesterday.. .
IMG_1343Large.jpg

Wellwell

Hi guys:)

03viperguy, yeah it`s a nice car, I like it alot, however he`s had a few small issues with it, nothing big but it seems like it doesnt take long between the errors.. car has 200.000km on the clock so I guess it`s normal.

Yamaholic22, yeah the SX is nice to ride. That`s why I recommended it to my girl-friend, the rider is a SHE man.. hehe;).

yamaholic22 said:
I like your buddy's sx, i'm still a sucker for the 97's, and i miss mine :o|

There's a good way to put it, I'm weak for those 97s too, it was so new, so radical and different, I WANT ONE someday. I know I have a newer sled but man those 97s were light, even by todays standards. Just look at Polarises, no one is going to tell me that a fusion or something like that is lighter than a good old sx..

kimoaj said:

Ignition bank ;)! I believe the english term for this is pre ignition or pre detonation. If your engine is "banking" its pre igniting. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. "Bank" is knock in english.

So the DCS on the 02 srx and 04 viper is a "bank"/knock sensor.

What could have caused your burndown?

Lots of things:

1) Dirt in carb, which leans everything (when were the carbs cleaned last on that sled)?

2) Normal tear and wear, at 13 k km something let go

3) Piston ring seized. Man look at that piston ring, its like hulk bent it!

Last edited:
my old 97 600sx was a light and flickable sled. I miss the idea of it, but it had some issues. mostly an incompetent mechanic with his hands into it and an uncanny ability to never tell me about the recalls :(

Hi guys and Norwegian:).

Yeah we did lift on the trailer, wasn`t that easy though and it was alot harder with my SRX, we consider ourselves as strong guys (haha) and we struggled alittle with my SRX.

The carbs on the V-Max has never been cleaned, my friend bought it 3 years ago and don`t think they have been checked. You know, why pull them when it runs like a charm;). But I agree, checking the carbs before the season could be a good idea.

Could worn rings have led to the burn down?. When the rings get worn and you get blowby, I guess it only gets worse and worse. Ring get stuck etc. etc.
The more cylinders you have the harder it is to hear if one of them ain`t running properly, or atleast I think so hehe:).

Gees guys, last weekend we had 20+ c, now it`s 2+ c, wierd weather.

Wellwell

never having cleaned them, it would have taken a tiny bit of crap to plug a jet :( I bet is a good chance for what caused it

03viperguy said:
never having cleaned them, it would have taken a tiny bit of crap to plug a jet :( I bet is a good chance for what caused it

I agree. Carb cleaning is part of seasonal maintance...

Ike

Back