So what do ya' think?

sleddheadd

ran across this baby a couple years ago....this guy passed away his kids went to clean his garage (which was a disaster area) got to the back of the garage and found this baby under a blanket tucked away in the corner.
they found the registration inside the house , it is a 1969 ss396 , last itme it was registered was 1982, i figure its been covered for about 20 years.
get this, i pumped the primer bulb , pulled it 4 times and it fired!!! :bump:
sled cost me $75.00, bad thing is it has a kohler motor in it :eek: :mad:
it is still a pretty cool thing to have!!!

Attachments

• farming '06 zoo,garage-08 (Custom).jpg
    farming '06 zoo,garage-08 (Custom).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 23

1969 Ss396

Cool sled,

I found one back in 1980 that was in great shape. The motor was the original 396 with twin pipes that exited through the left side of the belly pan. Sled would run 65 + mph. Lost a cylinder and could not find parts so we threw a 340 motor in it. Still runs and drives. Original hood was white with a red stripe down the left side. Like the GP sleds had. Has a tach in the middle of the handlebars too and a speedo in the dash. Cool old stuff !

You need to do some extra research on the Yamahas. The first SS 396 was in 1970. build dates were in late 69, but were ALL sold as 70's. Brad

Tony and Brad are right. Yamaha Built the SS396 as a 1970 model. Many times you will find them listed as a 69 in the parts manuals.
Hey Sledhead does your SS still have the Red plastic gas tank? Is it Cracked?These tanks were a real problem.If it has gas in it and isn't cracked,thank GOD. Keep gas in it and keep it out of the sun.
Cool Sled and a real Road rocket!
Mark

ya' know what really what really amazes me?? i find this really cool sled ... do some research along with having the registration and find out i have a classic . i am kind of proud of it, and all some guys can do is bash me and tell others that i am lying about the whole thing..... really burns me and i am a little upset right now..... :offtopic:

Last edited:
94max said:
Tony and Brad are right. Yamaha Built the SS396 as a 1970 model. Many times you will find them listed as a 69 in the parts manuals.
Hey Sledhead does your SS still have the Red plastic gas tank? Is it Cracked?These tanks were a real problem.If it has gas in it and isn't cracked,thank GOD. Keep gas in it and keep it out of the sun.
Cool Sled and a real Road rocket!
Mark
really does take some deep research but they were made in '69. if any one has the proof , i would love to see it and i will eat my words on the TY ride this year!!!! promise!!!!

gas tank is perfect!!! sled hasn't seen sun in a long time but i am sure that i am wring about thet too.....
thanks for the reply Mark

Hey Sled,don't get Bummed.I've only been riding since 69 and i still get this stuff messed up. Nobody's Slamming you.I do have a 1970 Yamaha Brochure and it shows the SS396. In 69 Yamaha introduced their First Production sled,The SL351. That was the only model for the 69 Production year. The 70 SS396 was Yamaha's FIRST Race sled. It was also sold to the public for trail use.I have one also with the original motor,but my tank is junk. I also have a 69 SL351( First Yamaha with Oil injection)
When looking for parts look for a 809 Prefix.
Check out WWW.Vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com and look under brochures.
Be proud of it,you should be.
Mark

DUDE, BETTER GET SOME MUSTARD FOR YOUR WORDS. I HAVE EVERY BIT OF YAMAHA PRODUCTION HISTORY, NO SS 396 IN 69. 1970 WAS FIRST SS 396. !! 3:16 (tony)

First introduction for Yamaha Sleds was in 68 with the SL 350, Then in 69 came the SL 351. I am on my way to Southern Pa, to pick one up (SL 351 , 70 SL 338, 75 Gp 433 and the Best of all the V-Max 540 1985. Only the 87 is left out of my collection of 540 V-Maxes and I have all the US models. Brad

Just wanted to say that is one very nice sled. I like the looks of those more than the newer ones in 73. My first sled was a 72 GP 292. That had the reed engine. That machine would trim the pants off a 7? TNT 440 Silver bullet down the road. Brad

Dates

You guys are too much with your model years and what sled was made when. I do have a 1969 SS 396 period. When I bought rings and a piston for it that is what year was specified and given .The sleds were made in 69 and sold as such.
The first production sled sold by Yamaha was the 1968 SL 351 period. My registration and sales reciept and the information on the Yamaha parts finder sight confirm that it is true . How about a 1970 SW 396 ? The sled was a 70 and was a wide track also have the sales reciept for that one ! Year 1971 brought the GP 396 and SS 433.
Here is what Yamaha offered :
1968 SL 351
1969 SL 338 , SL 396, SS 338 SS 396
1970 SW 396
1971 GP 396, SL 338B, SS 433, SW433E
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Question, Did your SS 396 have dual pipes on it ? My gas tank is still perfect and yes it is red. Anyone have a brocure that shows the sleds ? I do have the Owners manual for the SW and the 351. :bash: :whine:

thank You Spartasrx

i know i did a lot of research when i bought the sled and now i can't seem to find the web site or the stuff i printed .
i Appologize for going off the handle but i got a little worked up when people were saying i was wrong.
thank You Sparta for helping me out here. as i said i do Appoligize as i only try to post true stuff on here and would never try to buffalo any one!! in the mean time :o| I have to find that info. i printed out!! :dunno:

Last edited:
Question, Did your SS 396 have dual pipes on it ? My gas tank is still perfect and yes it is red. Anyone have a brocure that shows the sleds ? I do have the Owners manual for the SW and the 351.

yes the tank is perfect!! the seat is perfect and it did not have the twin pipes on it.... somewhere along the line the motor got changed to a kohler and the guy i bought it from has no clue about this sled.
and why the guy painted it orange and put a screamin' chicken on the hood i will never know? :dunno:

MARKS WHAT THE USE. !!!! ENJOY YOUR 1969 SS 396. HAD A BUDDIE IN HIGH SCHOOL YOU HAD ONE. WE BEAT MANY ROAD RUNNERS WITH IT !!! lol 3:16 (tony)

I can understand the confusion,I ran into the same info when restoring my 70 SS338( Now That will get you thinking) I can believe the sleds may have been registered at the DMV as 69's.
Here's the way Production went;
64-67-one off prototypes
68 Yamaha builds the SL350,each Motorcycle dealer could get one to judge appeal from customers.( Code 801 )
69 FIRST full production sled to be sold to public-SL351 Code 802
70 SL 338,SW396,SS396 and SS338(Not show in the Brochures)Code 806,807 and 809
You guys have alot of info showing your sleds are 69's
I won't dispute that.
BUT did you go look at the above website and check out that info?
Bottom line Guys-Who cares,Enjoy your sleds!
Thank SNOW,cause it's to Darn hot out!..
Mark

YAMMIEGOD,
You are the probably the most educated person I know of on Yamaha's.
But you are taking this thing a little bit too far. Someone may have made a mistake. Chill.
Upland

Back