1981 Srx 4 Cyl

Circle M

Here are a few pics of my 1981 srx 4 cyl. Its a real sleeper. Not sure if the pics are going to load. If the dont i will repost.

Attachments

• DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 56

Hey Guys
I'VE SEEN UNDER THE HOOD OF THIS 81 SRX AND BELIEVE ME THERE IS 4 CYLINDERS AND IT COMES OUT TO ABOUT 750CC'S. HEY DEANO I BELIEVE CIRCLE M WILL BE HERE ON SATURDAY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE B.S, SESSION

I thought it was based off of 2 81 srx eng together??, that would be alot more then 750cc. It was fairly common back a few years to make triples out of these engines. Dave Delaughter did alot of work on them and had them making alot of power. These 81 srx440's are interesting, they were absolute junk to trail ride back then, too high strung to trail ride. Alot of them were destoyed at yamaha dealers with the 82 SRV trade in program. I have all kinds of documentation, from the class action lawsuit against yamaha for them from owners to factory tech updates, there was so many it was like a firecat back then....LOL!! Yamaha dealer posters with trail update kits and pics and original sales information, service manuals, owners manuals.
They actually seem to be gaining value rather quickly the past few years. I believe in another 5-10 years they will be pretty scarce and fetch a good buck. I used to drag race one way back when and when you get all the stuff working right they were pretty impressive in a tuners hand. Carbs were the worst problem along with a narrow powerband to clutch. I have a pretty nice all original one sitting in my shop under a blanket now, just need to buy 2 new oem yamaha pistons to freshen it up. only flaw in mine is the right side panel, has a few dings in it, and a dry cracked non ripped seat cover, they are makin those repop now, still lookin for a mint right side panel.

Last edited:
Come on lets hear about the engine and see some pics, sounds kool!!!! I love one off stuff!!

That 440 gets a hole new meaning : 4 cylinders with 4 pipes...

not sure if it's my monitor settings or not but that sure was a dark picture. i saved it and brightened it with photoshop to make it a bit more clear ;)!
man...thats a beast!

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 85
I see the twin pipes, not quads...BUT.....Its freakin cool!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

Nice Job!!

very nice......gives me some ideas for my spare vmax 800 motor and pipes.....would be nice in a 1991 vmax 540 roller! nice job

there is a guy in maine, down around bucksport that i sold some parts too about 12years ago, he was a machinist and a vmax nut, he made a four from two original 540 motors. had quad pipes. he widened the coul fram and pan to accomidate.
does anyone know his name? or where the sled ended up?

Scott, would love to see about that sled or at least hear some more about it, that 1 off custom stuff is just way cool.

A few years back I had a wahl bros open mod sled with (2) 521 rotary valve ski doo motors mated together to make a 4cyl on it, was very intresting to say the least, 1042cc, watercraft heads(high compression) special rotors in engine, porting,total loss ignition system and it was later dyno'd at 278+hp.
When ya had it on the jackstand warming it up, it would flex the chassis when smackin it, had 48mm round mikuinis on it, talk about a sore thumb after pullin the lever. I sold it to a guy out west who wanted it to do speed runs with.

if my 81 srx wasnt so originaland nice, it would be like the one below, I love it!!!!!!!! ;)!

Delaughter used to build a 4-cylinder out of two Vmax 540's. 1080cc's and back in the early 90's they ran in Open Fuel with NOS on it as well!!

Back