help ID these pipes

snopro

can someone confirm the ID of the pictured pipes. i was told they were GPX GYT pipes. can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• mysteryPipes.jpg
    mysteryPipes.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 37

SNORRO, I HAVE ALL GYT SPEC,S !! LET ME DO SOME DIGGING. MAN, I DON,T KNOW. THAT BIG RIGHT HAND TURN IN THAT ONE PIPE IS ODD TOO ME. 3:16 (tony)

you may be onto something there YAMAHABUNCH.
my friend has a '72 440 T jet. he has the stock pipes (non gyt) on it and i believe his pipes make a VERY sharp turn as soon as they leave the flanges. i dont think these pipes will fit the '72 T Jet but hey....who knows.
i don't know if the '73-'75 T jet pipes gyt pipes were different than the '72 gyt pipes?
i set these pipes into my '75 gpx and they seemed to fit quite nicely.

Last edited:
awesome.
thanks a ton YAMAHABUNCH!
one would believe that the '74/'75 GPX GYT stuff would be the same as the '74/'75 T-Jet GYT stuff?
it's all comming together now!

Last edited:
They are NOT GYT pipes - as they sit.

I can't say they didn't start out as GYT - and got hacked up - but that is NOT the way they look stock.

hmm.
well, there was no 440 T Jet in '74, it was 340 only that year i believe.
i talked to an old Yamaha racer today. he told me a few of the yamaha race teams hand built some of their own pipes durring mid season back in the day as the stock yami/TJet GYT pipes were not that great...especialy in '74
i am sending him a pic to positivly identify them (hopefully). he thinks they are a rare custom set of race pipes.
these pipes are not stamped, they are welded.
the quest goes on............
thanks for all the info guys.

Last edited:
The only change required in the GYT pipe was cutting about 15 mm from the head pipe. Other than that – there was nothing better except factory. ;)!

Only our Yamaha factory pipes were better than the GYT pipes. The factory pipes were about ½ the weight, had better resonance, smoother and smaller stingers. In fact – before we had the special sleds, our out of the crate GYT setup beat them, the year before.

The pipes in the picture look like some dude hacked them up and re-welded them in his garage!

I don’t remember looking at Adema’s sleds (TJ) and seeing that pipe setup.

Look at the head connection – does that look like something Yamaha would make?

In my humble opinion.

RJH
first off let me tell you where i got these pipes from.
they came from Yorkton Saskatchewan a couple of years ago. i have had them since then.
to tell you the truth, these pipes look like they were profesionaly welded in my opinion. they do not look like they were "hacked" up in someones garage to me.
the welds on these pipes look just as good or better as the welding on my stock '77 srx pipes which have NEVER been cut....
something to think about.....

pipes

hey snopro, i have those same pipes that bend in the pipe always made me wonder to, but now that i see that pic i know that they were not made by so back yard pipe bender.my pipes have been modified to go out around the outside of the sled. i would post a pic but i dont know how. brian

Attachments

• 440 X 2.jpg
    440 X 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
wow! 2 sets of them on one sled.
mine fit perfectly in my gpx and srx chassis.
they exit at the right footrest, one on top of the footrest, the other on the bottom/right.
whats that motor in your custom sled? have you dyno'd it?

OK..so it seems more than one set was made. :o| Maybe the boys up in Thetford Mines dere took the stock GYT pipes and ran them thru the band saw and re-welded to fit the T-Jet mod kit. That would explain the good welds. On closer inspection – it looks like they cut into the mid section – they could have made two cuts there to make it – not so square. That would be more time consuming.

I guess if you don’t tell the exhaust – watch out for that bend – it won’t care.

Maybe that pipe would be one of the reasons the mod stock T-Jets never bothered our mod stock GPX! Adema certainly didn’t use those either.

Honestly – probably very little difference on the dyno. The T-Jets, that were fast, would always slow on the 3rd to 4th lap, maybe that’s why? :dunno:

motor

the motor is two complete gyt 433 motors with fuel injection. it makes just under 200 hp @9,200 rpm. brian

Attachments

• animal new pics 009.jpg
    animal new pics 009.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 22
200 hp piston-port 4cly. free air

Who did the dyno work for you? what type of dyno gave you those numbers?

Back