CB Performance Parts Belt Drive System!

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
Okay guys, as some of you may know, we are going to be testing out our belt drive system this year and see ohw things go with it. If things go smoothly, it will definitely be put out on the market for Yamaha's from the srx generation and up.

There are still several things that need to be done to the system as it sits in my sled but all will be taken care of shortly. We are going to cut the thickness of the housing on both sides in half because right now they are way over kill. we are going to run lightning holes in the gears and bore them out for least amount of rotating mass and still have enough strength to run safely. It is bolting up with the stock braking caliper and we may decide to make a lighter rotor but havent decided yet. Right now we are just running the stock rotor which is machined.

Everything on this system is 6061 aluminum except for the drive axel which we are going to make out of 7075 I believe. As of right now we are running the stock jackshaft but I am not sure if that is going to change. The design behind this is setup to handle all the HP you can throw at it because we are pushing the tensioner to the inside forcing the belt to run on more teeth of the gears. All in all, this system should take off about 5-6 pounds of rotating mass in the long run and take off a total of 10-12 pounds. A price has not been established yet on this but we are trying to get it to the market. Here is a picture and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

;)! ;)!

One question, can I test one. LOL I'll gladly give up reverse for that. Maxdlx

Bruce
as we talked at haydays....I tryed working with the Gates people to have gearing beveloped from thier stock stuff. Got super expensive and you know how cheap I am!!!
Really wanted to run a belt system on my SR292 and will follow how your system works for you guys. If you ever need a test pilot in the vintage race game, I have a SR292; GP292; ET300; and a GPX338 for you to "play with" LOL
later

2ooosrx said:
Everything on this system is 6061 aluminum except for the drive axel which we are going to make out of 7075 I believe.

Is 7075 strong enough for a drive axle? I have never heard of one for a Yami made out of aluminum. Aren't they usually steel or titanium?

will you have different drive-cog sizes to change the gearing ration? what kind of warranty will be associated with the system? looks good so far, curious to see how it performs and how hard it would be to change out the cogs for different ratios.

We will be making different gears for it so it will be easy to change the ratio. It is much easy to work on then the stock chain drive, that's for sure. All you do is pop the outer casing off, take off the upper or lower gear, put a new one on and bolt the outer casing back on. Nothing to it.

The stock muffler fits in there without any problems. It was designed with that in mind.

You will need 7075 T4

Been there ...done that - anything less will twist. :whine:

Couple of the sno cross dudes (today) have belt drive parts made - but not run yet.

That outer support looks good - and is good - but you don't really need it, if you make it half that width. Ther belt can take some twist - it just needs to be tight.

To get that size - you may have done the math for industrial applications. This is a sled - the industrial math is good for 24/7/365 for 5 years without stopping.

My old race machanic still has that setup in his snowmobile engine CVT drive powered street bike. 20 years and still going on the same belt.

Bruce
please keep me informed on how the project is going. it looks like a sweet set up!!! i would definatly like to try that out =) is there any special machining to any of the stock parts, or is it all "bolt in?"
thanks

We really need to sit down and think about the price for this system, nothing can be established yet. You need to consider the price of the materials, price to run the CNC's, price to pay the employee's, etc. There is alot involved with figuring out the price for it. Not to mention we have to include the prices necessary to get spline and other things done. There is alot involved with this kit and we will let you know as soon as we figure it out and see how it performs.

This system will fit on the SX. However, we are now starting to develope to the kits for the newer models sleds such as Apex, RX-1, etc. We already have these made up and we are going to test them out shortly. I will keep you all updated. Thanks

-Matt

Any chance you guys might offer this stuff in a lightweight driveline kit? Include the 2 shafts, the belt drive, and a drilled rotor for a small discount? Kind of like your front end kits. My SRX has to keep up with the times and yours is pulling away!!!

LOL, I am sure once we get the entire kit done, we will be offering separate versions of the kit. We can offer the belt drive alone. Offer the belt drive and only the drive axel. Offer the belt drive, drive axel, and jack shaft. Or offer the entire kit such as what I am going to do with the lighter brake. Clearly, the prices will not be the same but I will let you know how everything works out. Until then, :bling: :bling: :bling:

Have you weighed the complete setup? It looks really nice but I am a doubting Thomas when it comes to clainds like 10-12 pound savings.....

What is you target sell $?

I agree with the 7-24-365 analogy. When you talked to Gates they think you are putting it into a plant that need to run all the time (think about drving your truck for 365 days a year - 24 hours a day -- it would be really overbuilt. Doe you think you can go smaller on the belt and pulley width?

Regards,

Last edited:

Back