Viper wine noise

The HYVO chain is quite prone to the noise you hear. However, many people either fail to adjust the chain tension, or adjust it too tight. These 2 conditions increase the level of noise emitted. The best adjustment procedure I have found to eliminate noise and wear is as follows . . .

1. Turn the secondary clutch by hand counterclockwise to insure any slack in the chain is on the tensioner side. It should not turn much.

2. Loosen the jam nut on the chain tensioner bolt several turns, and tighten the tensioner bolt by hand until you feel resistance.

3. Tighten 1/2 turn further to insure that the resistance felt is not due to ice or junk on the threads. Also insure that the jam nut is not causing the resistance. You should not be able to turn the secondary at all without moving the driveshaft at this point.

4. Once you are sure that tension is being applied to the chain, back the tensioner bolt off a turn or two.

5. Tighten the tensioner again with your fingers until you just start to feel resistance and stop. Be sure to tighten the jam nut.

annoying whine noise

ok check this out ....(now i know what you are saying) yesterday i adjusted the chain tension to finger tight like your supposed to right ..... (it was loose) my sled has 400 and something miles on it. now after adjustment it makes that whine noise and its pretty loud. i dont recall it being that loud during break in and up until now. think its too tight ? i should back it off a touch right? will it quiet it down? my sled is a 2003 sxr 600

buzz

Thanks for all the help on this. We have adjusted the track and tightened the chain per spec. The noise has not gotten any worse/better since my original post on this. I have now 1700mi on the sled. It runs great, so I have come to the conclusion that it is just a normal sound for this sled at about 38mph or less. I have just opted to run it above this (when possible) so I don't have to listen to it. Also, with regards to the break clunking...I think this was just operator error due to the fact that I wasn't use to the sled. I haven't had this prob since or only when I have to get on it.

Back