need help choosing a mountain sled!!

92vwgti

well im in the market for a new sled. i want a mountain sled ! so i would need a little help seeing i dont know much, and i dont want to start off with a 136" track because i know myself i will want to change withing a year. so id rather go bigger now and ride it a while before changing.
so what would be a better buy between these 3 sleds?.. i need the pros and cons

2003 rx1 mountain

mountain max(any year)preferably with the 141" track

phaser mountain lite

keep in mind if i do any high altitude riding i dont feel like messing around with the carbs too much . does yamaha have a system like brp dpm that does all the adjusting?

thanks for any help

well if you don't want to mess with the carbs go with a 4 stroke you can get by without changing the jetting but a 2stoke your going to have to rejet for the altitude.
I personally would look at a vector mtn 151" over the rx1 mountain.The phazer is a fun sled too.

thanks for the advice.. so a mountain rx1/vectors carbs automatically adjust with the altitude? il try and find a mountain vector but its not so easy here in quebec.
but if i cant find a vector mtn and i go for the rx1 mtn is there anything i should look out for?
thanks

92vwgti said:
thanks for the advice.. so a mountain rx1/vectors carbs automatically adjust with the altitude?
thanks

A four stroke is inherently less susceptible to altitude changes because of the principle of operation. So a carbed 4 stroke is more forgiving than a carbed 2 stroke when it comes to temp/altitude.

yea seems like if i want a mtn vector or mtn viper i will have to come to the states..theres nothing in my area..but il keep looking..especially at the 2008s.. do you guys think since we had a crappy winter that dealers will be giving amazing deals on phazer mtn lites?

the 03and 04 rx1s had some problems with oil usauge yamaha chaged the rings in 05 so if you look at a 03or 04 becareful.I like the vectors alot better than the rx1's.

man choosing a sled is so confusing, especially now with the new nytro mtn mmmmmm ..do you think that i could get a good deal if i buy a sled from the states and bring it back to canada?

Here's my .02,

I see your from Quebec so that should be compairable to what I'm riding in the U.P. The RX-1 is really not all that great of a mountain sled unless you don't mind modifiying it. The Vector is a good choice. But if two strokes are not out of the question there are plenty of mods for sale that have been done right. Look for a triple that has been extended into a 144" or more. I have a 162" M-7 and it is not too long for me. I also have a '01 SXR that has a dropped and rolled chaincase and a 144" x 2" track. It suits the trails a lot better that my M-7, it a heck of a lot faster, but is heavier. You will most likely do a lot of trail riding to get to your secret powder places to trail comfort means something. The SXR is fine for both. If you are taking a trip out west once or twice a year, think about renting a sled. By the way, I always have run Yamaha's but bought my M-7 after months of looking at what I really needed, my back is shot so weight was a big factor. And I wanted something really frigging long!

thanks for the advice.. will keep the m7 in mind, ive seen some m7s here with a 141" for about 7500$ ...what about the 07 phazer mtn lites? is it a good mountain sled?

80 Horsepower just is not enough for me. Check out Snowest. You'll get a hundred different opinions there. My best advice is to visit a few dealerships and talk to them. Around here, everyone tryed to talk me out of what I wanted. But like you, I already have my trail cruiser and wanted to play in the deep stuff without getting stuck all the time and breaking my back.

92vwgti said:
thanks for the advice.. will keep the m7 in mind, ive seen some m7s here with a 141" for about 7500$ ...what about the 07 phazer mtn lites? is it a good mountain sled?

It's an 80 horse sled with a 14 inch wide track.
If you are mostly playing in meadows/ boondocking it should serve you well if you remember those two facts. If you are wanting to hill shoot with it and really play in the steep and deep then it probably isn't that great a choice.

I think they work O.K. But, the longer the better in my opinion. I have a 162" and It's fine for me. Don't go under a 144" or shorter than a 2" paddle.

What about a Mountain Max 700?. They are really nice to ride.. .
Cheap too.. but they burn gas compared to a fourstroke.. .

If you buy one of the first models of the fourstokes, then test ride them first. They are different then the smokers.. .

Good luck man!

hey kimoaj
if i were to get a 2 stroke it would be a mm700!!! after seeing your brother in laws mm i fell in love with it. only question lets say i get an 2001-2002 mm its a 141" right? is it easy to convert to a lets say 151"? or will i have to add a bigger heat exchanger? i think ive narrowed it down to a mm700 or the phazer mountain light but ive had people tell me that with the 14 inch wide track it sucks in deep snow

Around here they are haveing problems with the 14" track on the Phazer, just not enough flotation. I had a 2000 MM 700 and it was one of the better sleds I've owned. Leave it a 141 or extend to 144 and it will go most anywhere you want to go and some you don't. Great dependable sled!

is it hard or expensive to make it a 151"? a track is about what 800? plus the rail extensions?do i need bigger heat exchangers?do i have to change gearing?
thanks

Back