need help choosing a mountain sled!!

You`re thinking of the same sleds as me 92vwgti, I`m sure a phazer is a cool ride, but it`s more expensive then the MM. I can`t seem to be able to have fun on a sled that is too expensive, I kind of get less aggressive and don`t ride it like it should have been ridden. I know this is a money issue, maybe when I get older I`ll forget about the costs.. but right now they are important.

The late models of the MM were delivered with a 144" track, my brother in law`s 1999 has a 141" track, the 2001model I`m hoping to get has a 144" track.
If I were you I`d try it with the stock track, I bet it climbes good enough.. . The shorter track the easier to handle.. atleast that`s what I think.
The late models of the MM also looks a little crisper with the new headlight.. :).

Check www.mountainperformance.com or www.hartmaninc.com for extensions.. .

To extend a 141 or 144" to 151" your looking at about $245 for the kit. Includes tunnel and rail extensions, longer hoses, and attaching hardware. I'm going from from 136" to 151" and I am also going to go to extrovert drivers. The kits for the older MM 700's ('97-'99) are more, closer to $400. Extroverts are $150 and that should about do it except for the track. I picked up a used track in great shape for $150. You will also want to make sure you're gearing is in the 2.1-2.2 range ($70-$130).

I have ridden the last four years with the 136" and there are days here and there when the powder is fluffy that I can't get to where I want to be. I'm ready for the extra traction and flotation. I will also relocate the skid back to match the geometry of the '00 and newer MM 700s, better approach angle and less trenching. I will also drop the brackets on the back for better tunnel clearance in deep powder. Other than wanting the better approach angle and flotation, I love my setup. The MM 700 is a great, reliable mountain sled with power I have yet to tap. I'm slowly getting clutching and gearing dialed in and I'm having a great time doing it. Just wish I made it up to the hills more often.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips guys , so your saying the 2001 mm 700 should already have a 144" track? does it also have a reverse? its a very interesting sled
theres one near my house with 7000k 2001 and hes asking 4100$canadian negotiable do you guys think this is a fair deal? it looks in pretty good shape.
decisions decisions decisions

92vwgti said:
thanks for the tips guys , so your saying the 2001 mm 700 should already have a 144" track? does it also have a reverse? its a very interesting sled
theres one near my house with 7000k 2001 and hes asking 4100$canadian negotiable do you guys think this is a fair deal? it looks in pretty good shape.
decisions decisions decisions

The MM's from 2000-2004 all came with a 141" track, some did come with a reverse, but that was a factory option. Just to translate into something I can understand a little better, you say the sled has 4350 miles (7000k) and is asking $3505 American (as of today's exchange)....I would say this is a little high. Kelly Blue Book says a 2001 Mountain Max has a suggested retail value of $2925 USD or $3310 CND. Unless it has some other mods to it or is in pristine condition, I would say the $4100 CND is not realistic. Offer him $3000 and see what happens??

A 141 or 144 stock is a good place to start, but going to a 151 made a HUGE difference on my viper mtn. I was able to stretch it for $340, got a used track on snowest and used rail extensions here. I kept the stock 144 tunnel ext. and havent had any problems, well except for the flap getting sucked in, but i chopped it to solve that.

So basically it can be done for cheap if you find the right deals on good used stuff. Its an easy upgrade to do yourself, just takes some time and a good amount of swearing.

YooperMike said:
The MM's from 2000-2004 all came with a 141" track, some did come with a reverse, but that was a factory option. Just to translate into something I can understand a little better, you say the sled has 4350 miles (7000k) and is asking $3505 American (as of today's exchange)....I would say this is a little high. Kelly Blue Book says a 2001 Mountain Max has a suggested retail value of $2925 USD or $3310 CND. Unless it has some other mods to it or is in pristine condition, I would say the $4100 CND is not realistic. Offer him $3000 and see what happens??

i just emailed the guy hes not negotiable!! what an ***..i found another one but hes asking way too much according to you black book price. withing a 12 hour drive these are the only 2 mountain max that are for sale..this blows..do you know where i can get this blackbook?

MtnMax600 said:
A 141 or 144 stock is a good place to start, but going to a 151 made a HUGE difference on my viper mtn. I was able to stretch it for $340, got a used track on snowest and used rail extensions here. I kept the stock 144 tunnel ext. and havent had any problems, well except for the flap getting sucked in, but i chopped it to solve that.

So basically it can be done for cheap if you find the right deals on good used stuff. Its an easy upgrade to do yourself, just takes some time and a good amount of swearing.

thanks will keep in mind

Blue book values for snowmobiles

This link will take you to the Kelly Blue Book website. You will select year, make, model, etc. These prices are for retail value, not trade-in value.

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/Snowmobiles/Retail.aspx

This is another link for snowmobile values. It is the N.A.D.A. Guide. Same format pretty much, different source. You will find the values will vary some but they will give you an idea. This one will ask if the sled has add ons. It will then give you a retail range. The Kelly Blue book value will usually fall somewhere in the middle of these ranges.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...5-657-50590&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5693&gc=mc&gtc=sm

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
92vwgti said:
thanks for the advice.. will keep the m7 in mind, ive seen some m7s here with a 141" for about 7500$ ...what about the 07 phazer mtn lites? is it a good mountain sled?

the phazer MTN lights are Fun, but not much of a trail sled... i was just in sun valley with one my bro was riding and he wanted off that after the first 20 miles and wanted on my Vmax-4 BUMPPPY

really it was that bad,,,theres a rental place near here il have to try it.i hear on the phazer mtn lite you sit motocross style?

id go with the 141 mountain max 700. i have a 700 triple and im driving full throtle 85% of the time with over 13,000 kms on the motor. best motor ever put in a snowmobile!.

The Viper Mountain also rocks. If you go with either an MM 700 or a Viper 700 you wount be disappointed. My 100% honest opinion is that they are easier to ride then the fourstrokes. That said the newest 4 stroke I have ridden is a 05. 07/08`s probably better.

tomseal6 said:
why not get the apex MTN?? 150 HP 1ith a 162 X 16 track

a little overkill for what i do,,, wow a 162 inch track on the trails..
ive narrowed it down to a mtn viper 144 or a artic cat m7 141

just need to get rid of the good old srx

thanks again guys

Both good sleds. I've owned them both. Except my Cat is a 162". The only time all winter I got stuck in it was do to lack of talent! One thing that deserves mention is that us paddle trackers should be respectfull of the groomed trails. I try and stay off them. When I do ride on them, I take it real easy. The paddles really tear up the trails if you get on the throttle. I am not used to the whole trail riding scene and the first time I got on a freshly groomed trail I didn't know any better. Until I turned around and went back. I felt like an Azz for the trenches that my sled made.

Deadsled said:
Both good sleds. I've owned them both. Except my Cat is a 162". The only time all winter I got stuck in it was do to lack of talent! One thing that deserves mention is that us paddle trackers should be respectfull of the groomed trails. I try and stay off them. When I do ride on them, I take it real easy. The paddles really tear up the trails if you get on the throttle. I am not used to the whole trail riding scene and the first time I got on a freshly groomed trail I didn't know any better. Until I turned around and went back. I felt like an Azz for the trenches that my sled made.

hey deadsled
some guy at the dealer told me that with a 2 inch paddle il just rip them off all day long any truth in this? he said id be better off with either 1.25 or 1.50 paddle, also your m7 did it have reverse and is it really needed for mountain riding. around here its more riding in forest/trees and powerlines
thanks

They will tear off on the eddges. 1.5 is the max I would run on the trail. Even the 1.5 edges will tear over time. Depends on the snow conditions too.

My MTN Apex has a 162 track cut down to 1 inch lug and if I g out west I have the stock track to put on.

Back