More Ford diesel engine problems....LOL!!!

yea I just can't get the screen to come up... haven't been able to for almost a month now. In place of where the video is i get that message saying that I need the new version of flash, which i've downloaded and installed, and I need to enable javascript, which i've enabled EVERYTHING in my internet options lol i donno i'm not too worried about it, just would be awesome to see some FLAMES coming out of that exhaust! lol

Cummins

Yep, Cummins is building a good motor & guess who owns the majority interest in Cummins...............

Yep.............FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda sucks that in order to get the good Cummins, it has to be bolted in the frame of a "cheaply built Dodge" Oh...... & that comment is not really mine, that is from a number of mechanics I know who work in the local large Dodge dealership. They know how they are built & wont own one!!!

I looked at one 2 year old Dodge last week at their shop......55k miles, water pump was toast, cheap a$$ bearings.....another one with 52k miles, fuel tank had major leak...... brake issues at 35k miles....... endless list that just shows they are getting the components built of "lower quality" materials. They say the 'warranty repairs" are incredible, ..........???? Hmmmm???????????

When Ford aquired Cummins a few years back, I was hoping they would pull Dodge-Chrysler's long term agreement to supply the engines to Dodge.... but guess not.

Got a buddy who got mad at the Ford dealer due to trade in value offerd, bought a new Durmax............ lasted 25k miles-4 months.....blew up big time, droppped the crank........ & boy did he have fun trying to get GM to back it up.......... he is back in a Ford!!

Yep, I am a Ford guy..... but hey....have 04 SuperScrew with 5.4 & 80k miles, ZERO problems, got a 95 Explorer.....174k miles.... tires & one set of brake pads....... a 93 Explorer.....180k....... radiator this year & hoses-belts-tires & a 78 F 250 .....165k. needs valve cover gaskets & tranny tune up & front ball joints are a bit sloppy........ hmmmmmmmm not bad.
Oh yeahin the last 10 years I went through 3 other Explorers as "sales rigs" over 100k on each one, never been left stranded or spent big $$$ for problems. Guess I am lucky huh??

But hey, we all have our favorites & stories of the "other brands" so..... same as sleds..... wouldnt ride nothing but Yammie & I know guys who hate them.

The beauty of free choice!!

I have owned two chevys in my life, got rid of the last one for my 06 f350, was the chevy a nice truck? yep, did what I wanted it to do, pulled the four place, and the camper, hauled the family around, all the while getting 12 to 16 mpg empty, and it was still a good truck, did I have problems with it? yep, same as every 5.7 did with 4wd. For me, I went back to ford because it was a ford, now I have everything I want and 18 to 21 mpg. I own yamaha sleds, yamaha bikes, even played yamaha drums, why? because it's yamaha. some of you complain like doo riders. I just don't get it, what difference does it make what you drive as long as you get there.

whoa! Dodge builds cheap trucks?? What planet are you on buddy? I don't care what anyone says, the Cummins diesel is the best diesel motor available in pickups today, the facts speak for themselves. Cheap parts? Is that why my cummins will last at least 2 times longer than what your powerstroke will? Or is that why this is Fords 2nd huge diesel recall? I don't care what you think you know, Dodge does not build cheap trucks, nor do I care what your "buddy" the mechanic has to say... Have you owned all 3 brands? Can you speak from expierience? How to know that the dodges in your buddys shop, aren't used under extreme comditions everyday? Hmmm you don't. I've owned all 3, and my Dodge is the first truck I have ever owned with 110000 hard worked miles (plowing, towing, hauling everyday) and all I've had to do was replace 2 U-joints. I had to get rid of the Ford, and Chevy before the warrantys were up, because they kept breaking... Go drive a new Dodge. And I bet you didn't know that 50% of new dodge truck used to be die hard chevy and ford guys.. Hmmm dosen't that tell you something?

You want proof???

http://inlinediesel.com/deathmatch/

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1803136101

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1699834622

Last edited:
Sx700 said:
whoa! Dodge builds cheap trucks?? What planet are you on buddy? I don't care what anyone says, the Cummins diesel is the best diesel motor available in pickups today, the facts speak for themselves. Cheap parts? Is that why my cummins will last at least 2 times longer than what your powerstroke will? Or is that why this is Fords 2nd huge diesel recall? I don't care what you think you know, Dodge does not build cheap trucks, nor do I care what your "buddy" the mechanic has to say... Have you owned all 3 brands? Can you speak from expierience? How to know that the dodges in your buddys shop, aren't used under extreme comditions everyday? Hmmm you don't. I've owned all 3, and my Dodge is the first truck I have ever owned with 110000 hard worked miles (plowing, towing, hauling everyday) and all I've had to do was replace 2 U-joints. I had to get rid of the Ford, and Chevy before the warrantys were up, because they kept breaking... Go drive a new Dodge. And I bet you didn't know that 50% of new dodge truck used to be die hard chevy and ford guys.. Hmmm dosen't that tell you something?

You want proof???

Somebody's a bit defensive about their truck..

I used to believe the story about Ford owning cummins, untill I did a little digging and discovered that it is urban legend.

Knock on wood, no major issues with my 6L. Lost the Pilot injection due to programming change. A little concerned about possible future injector issues because I have an early build 03, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content....rviewId=29&anchorId=44&menuIndex=3&index=4#Q1

Last edited:
everything breaks, and it all depends on how people treat things. my dad gets a lot of trouble free miles out of his GMC trucks so he keeps buying them. but he is easy on things. guy I know doesnt let his start up and just leaves with his foot to the floor even in the dead of winter. likes to peel out and occasional smoke show. with nearly identical trucks he has 3 times the problems. is his a shitty truck?? nope, just used a lot harder than dads truck. I have seen vipers that are beat up and useless with half the miles. are they bad? nope just used harder than mine. all in how things are used etc. some places are weak on some cars/trucks/sleds etc, but can all last if used right and maintained well. thats my opinion, for whatever its worth

Let's see. The '06 Dodge had the most recalls of any truck. As to why Chebby and Ford owners were leaving for Dodge, you could not beat the deals they were giving on thier '06 models. That's why they showed profits and why the UAW wouldn't give DCX the wage and health care concessions they gave Ford and GM. Now look at the wringer DCX is in.

Kind of like the shell game Jenny ran just before the November election. "Whoops, did I say 1.5B deficit? I meant 3B."

Hey, I'm the first to stay out of the "bash the competition" wars. They are designed, engineered and built by people and people make mistakes.

Cummins

SX700 said:whoa! Dodge builds cheap trucks?? What planet are you on buddy? I don't care what anyone says, the Cummins diesel is the best diesel motor available in pickups today, the facts speak for themselves. Cheap parts?

Hey SX, reread my post, I give "kudu's" to the Cummins part of the Dodge.
No question its an awesome long term motor... best one out there so no argument here man.

But, the motor is not the ONLY part that makes a truck!!!

So, my examples from the Dodge dealership are real....... pertaining to the quality of the other parts........ brakes......water pumps.........trannys..... door hardware, rubber trim, electrical components, etc.etc.
They,the mechanics agree the Cummins is damn near bullet proof...........but they see the & I quote " cheap chincey parts" Dodge slips in the rest of the truck. In regards, to "hard use vs easy use", it is a mix. But ya gotta admit, when ya spend $ 30k plus for a loaded 4X4 & something breaks-fails under 50k miles, there is a problem especially when the company does not like to honor warranties, very BIG ISSUE.
How else can they Dodge get the prices of the trucks down there.......cheap components!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!

In responce to have I owned the other brands, yep..GM twice..... Dodge nope. After my buddies experiences........I do not need that pain!!!

If I left Ford......it would be for a GMC.
Give me a Cummins in my Ford.....Im a happy camper!! :rofl:

FIRST OFF EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP THE BASHING AND TRASH TALK TO YOURSELF. Like I said before everyone has there opinions and brand of choice but argueing about all this will only lead to more fighting, leading this thread to a closer or dog pile. I dont want that to happen cause I enjoy talking about auto makers and the issues they have. But you still wont find me taking sides cause I understand when you build as many cars/trucks the automakers do your going to have problems somewhere down the line. Im a Ford guy mainly cause my dad worked for them for 35 years, and is now a Ford retiree. Another reason I like Ford some much is when Chevy and Dodge were still using PUSH ROD ENGINES in there trucks, Ford was testing new grounds by building SOHC and DOHC ENGINES for there future cars/trucks. But if any of you have EVER place your A$$ in anything that says SVT on it such as, Contour, Focus, Lightning, or Cobra. I bet even a Die Hard GM or Chrylser guy will get out with a smile on there face, cause there all a blast to drive.

But I have to ask you GM and Chrylser guys even though 90% of the FORD GT was built by SALEEN it still only says FORD on it, so in my mind its a FORD. So what PRODUCTION CAR does YOUR automaker make that even comes close to compare it on or off the track?????Viper????HAHA Do some reading and youll find out you wont find 1.

Last edited:
At $150,000 a pop for a GT what do you want us to compare it to, give me a Corvette Z06 and $80,000 and see what happens.
And BTW the GT is now defunk no longer in production.
Sorry if I like the old school technology but neither GM or Dodge need OHC to make the power they are looking for.

richardspipes said:
At $150,000 a pop for a GT what do you want us to compare it to, give me a Corvette Z06 and $80,000 and see what happens.
Sorry if I like the old school technology but neither GM or Dodge need OHC to make the power they are looking for.

I agree 110%. There is a lot of potential with OHC and DOCH engines, Ford doesnt use it, instead they throw a supercharger on it to get it to compete. :rulez:

richardspipes said:

Thats was my point, that your brand of choice hasnt made a "Production Race Car". You have to seek out to A/M parts to make it compete againest the GT. And I know the GT is no longer in production cause once the word got out that it was a LIMITED production, the cars prices skyrocketed well past your $150,000 remark to around $200,000-$225,000. Cause a dealer can ask what they want for a car, sugg. retail dont mean sh$$. And why did the prices skyrocket cause itll never be built again, so when 20-30 years pass the value of the car will increase hugely, UNLIKE your MODIFIED Z06. And the talk about Ford just throwing S/Cers on to compete, who cares if its reliable and works for the company then why not use them???? Main reason 4.6L/5.4L Modular Engine guys go with a blowers or turbos is by them time your done paying for engine tear down, aftermarket cams, pistons, porting. YOU yourself could have save ALOT of time by just installing a S/Cer or Turbo to make the same amount of power or maybe more, then when the time comes to tear her down spend your money on cams, porting, pistons turning it into 750-1000HP car.

Any of you guys seen the Twin Turbo GT videos before????

Last edited:
I admit im a dodge guy, we have had fords chevy's honda and subaru's all had there down falls...everyone makes a junk now and then! Subaru needed a head gasket at 70 thousand miles lots of little problems with that (its a 2004)

As for what i drive, i pick something up used and just do little maintance to it, You can do a lot of repairs for the price of a new car! Guess what my dad taught me was to live in the most exspensive house u can afford, and drive the biggest peice of crap you can find! lol

yahadriver23 said:
As for what i drive, i pick something up used and just do little maintance to it, You can do a lot of repairs for the price of a new car! Guess what my dad taught me was to live in the most exspensive house u can afford, and drive the biggest peice of crap you can find! lol

LOL Yea unlike ANY ghetto city in the US is compelety opposite. They drive cars that are worth double and maybe even triple of what there house are worth. Pretty messed up when ya think about it.

Ford used to own 10% in cummins but cummins purchased it back in the late 90s.

Before my time. But it was probably back in the Ford Heavy Truck days.

fsd08_018_ext_enl.jpg
Yep sequential.

Back