I didnt know poo had a 4 stroke

Doo had one too the year before the RX came out - I think they have dropped it though because it was such a joke - something like 80hp out of a 1000cc motor!!! - it is the only reason the other manufactures bash the four strokes - they can't figure out how to get the power out of them naturally aspirated!!!

Yeah, I guess they are still using that V-800 - they also have a V-1500 from their watercrafts that they seem to be using in that Elite side by side thing - 65hp from the 800 and 115hp from the 1500 is not too impressive though!! - they did bring out a 450 that they are using in one of their ATV's that is competetive with the other brand's - I still think once they catch up with thier 4 stroke technology, you'll see them bring out more 4 stroke sleds - I think the XP is light for that reason!!

Polaris had a 4 stroke as far back as 03 I think. Called the Fronteir. I only know that b/c I saw a pair broken down on the side of the trail in Northern Maine.

the original 4 stroke polaris' frontiers were decent sleds, but far too "industrial".

they were reliable, but not very powerful, they did put up good mpg and low emissions.

the new FST, is stil a tad industrial sounding, but wuite a strong motor, and even at the old 135 hp tune, they flew. now they have like 5 more hp, and can be tuned for even more power.

I know this is a yami site, but don't under estimate the fst powered polaris' sleds. I was quite suprised by how the power was applied on my test ride of one 2 years ago.

I felt the attak I rode last year at minocqua was perhaps a little quicker, but then again that was the old FST motor, and there were a few months between test rides, not back to back.

btw, the fst makes nice mpg as well as nice power.

the skidoo, well, its not there for anything but a mpg maker and a 4 stroke option for those that want a doo, but still do not think the SDI is the choice.

The Polaris FST/IQ Turbo is no slouch. Its 140 hp normally and with the overboost it can put out 150 hp for a short period of time.
It has its fair share of problems. They are known for the sparkplugs shooting out of the cylinder heads and the turbo puts out so much heat that a lot of FST owners complain about their right foot being very hot all the time.
The other manufacturers are getting with it, but none of them can rival Yamaha in terms of 4-strokes.
Comparing a Doo, Poo or Cat 4-stroke to a Yamaha 4-stroke is like comparing a lawn mower to a Ferrari.

those running issues were limited to the original FST, not the new one witrh even more hp.

FWIW, polaris upgraded all the original fst's to the new designed parts that make even more power.

The big thing Yamis have over the comp is the fact that thier whole sleds are built to be 4 strokes. everyone else make the engine fit into the old 2 stroke spot. Rotax has been building motorcyle 4 strokes for years, so if the want a performane 4 stroke, they will make 1. the v800 seams more focussed on the utility market

yeah, rotax has some awesome v twin LC DOHC sport bike engines.
They are what power the Aprilia motorcycle line.

the Aprilia Mille 1000cc makes 143hp is a stock state of tune.
These mills can easily be built to make 160hp no problem.

so compare that to the apex 150hp, and you are close.

now compare the 1200cc variant that aprilia will be able to run in world superbike vs the 1000cc I4s (twin cylinder bikes can run up to 1200cc vs 1000cc I4s in WSBK, and similar rules were in place in AMA superbike racing uo to 04) and you are right there, with less weight as well.

the new Buell 1125r, IMHO the only buell worth anything due to finally being a LC motor, is made by Rotax as well, for HD.

I ride a stock 06 Attak and those brand X four strokes are a joke! They get a brief glimpse of my tailight.

If I put a turbo on mine to, ahem, even things up in that department, it'd be like the starship Enterprise when she goes to warp! The poo's would see the flash of light and then be riding all by themselves.

To get a poo 4 stroke to beat a stock Apex, its at its limit, like a rubber band stretched to the breaking point. Where on the other hand, the fuelie apex motor has been turbo'd all the way up to 500HP!! There's people with turbo'd Apex's running 300 hp with well over ten thousand k's on them so far without a problem! Comparing the two is like comparing Lexus with a Lada! A Lada poo! G.

the turbo merely evens out the playing field due to the fact that the polaris has half as many cylinders.

both are nice machines.

Doing more with less? They are the same displacement! In fact the cat has MORE displacement!

Not stretched to the limit? Look at the potential from the brand X motors, their absolute limit does not even come close!

No one, absolutely no one has the cylinder head technology that Yamaha does! Honda and Suzuki are capable competitors, but Cat would have to allow Suzuki free rein with whatever they build for them as opposed to building engines to Arctic Cat's specifications! Those specifications are what kill the Suzuki engines as compared with Yamaha, which are, in just about in every instance, reduced quality from what Suzuki would have built on their own!

Its what killed Fuji engines compared with Yamaha, they were built to Polaris specifications, reduced quality!

Don't believe me, just listen to fan cooled engines as water cooling hides a lot. Just start them and listen to all of the sounds! The Yamaha engine is far, far superior quality. G.

geez, come on now, regarding the cylinder head config.

Look at AMA superbike racing.

that is where the RX1, now apex motors were born from. now as much as I like my yamaha's, look at the top bikes in AMA racing, and in superbike, the suzuki GSXR1000 is the dominant bike. Even in lower displacement classes, 600cc in both supersport (mostly a stock bike) and in Formula Xtreme, the Honda has the edge. granted yami did not field a factory superbike for about 5 years until this past season, but I doubt that any results would have changed in racing. there were however several privateers, and close to factory teams running yami machinery with fairly good results, but nothing as dominant as the Suzukis/ hondas have been in respect to superbike and SS/ FX. suzuki won every superbike race this season, and in 06, suzuki won all but 1 race. Honda's Jake Zemke won 1 race of 2 at Utah in 06.

not to mention, the current R1 sportbike does not use the 5 valve head tech that was deemed to be superior to the 4 valve heads that everyone else uses. Yami dropped the 5 valve heads from the R1 in 07.

as far as if I were to buy a new literbike, It would probably be a new r1, not for HP / tq reasons, but because I am 6'4" and 240lbs, every other mae of bike has shrunk each year to the point that I would not be comfy on longer trips. And the R1s since 04 have been drop dead sexy....

I fully agree with you point about the deal with suzuki merely building motors for cat's use.

Fuji building motors for polaris had nothing to do with the hp/ quality thing either. argue all you want about the old venerable fuji 488, but it is a solid motor, and many have put tens of thousands of miles on them, including I am sure many TY members. the indy 500 was named the "sled of the decade " by a reputable sled mag, and for a good reason.

I in fact have 2 fuji mills currently in our stable, one 87 indy 488 FC trail, and 1 a 94 efi indy 500. the 87 we have owned second hand since like 90, and I have put at least 12k on it. quality wise, it sounds identical to all the phaser 485s I have ever ridden with, or driven myself.

Sorry to disagree with you on a few points, but these are unfounded theories.

Last edited:
How is the Artic Cat bigger than Yamaha. It is 750 Cc to Yamaha 900/1000cc. I like Yamahas , but, I have to say that everyone ive talked with has liked that 4 stroke Ac and they rave about the Switchback Chassis. It's healthy competition, it will only make all 4 strokes becaome better as each one tweaks thier machines.

Back