I didnt know poo had a 4 stroke

the jaguar is an 1100cc suzuki built twin. the jag is the only four stroke that has an anti engine braking bypass. To me, I am used to the engine braking of 4 strokes, so that feature is of no real importance to me, but for those switching to a 4 stroke form a 2 stroke, it will make the transition seamless. Ride a 4 stroke like a 2 stroke and the rear end could come around on you and not freewheel like a 2 stroke.
I have heard good things about the jaguar as well, but the switchback is a polaris product, and you can get one in a four stroke with the turbo. It's called the FST switchback.

my biggest issue with the twin spar chassis cats is the completely ugly hood/ headlights. Change that, and I bet they would sell a lot more.

shortstop20 said:
The 2008 FX Nytro has an Engine Braking Reduction System in it as well.

I can't believe Supertrax mag left that out in their write up on the new nytro, and in the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke article.

All I can say is when our government finally puts emission standards on sleds yammi will be way ahead!!!! The other brands just don't compare yet, yet. I don't know if efi 2 strokes will be compliant either. I just think yamaha is looking towards the future with 4 strokes. Why else would they have sooooo many??? Cause they weight less?? NO perform better??? NO Easier to maintain??? NOPE........emission regs are coming soon!!! I will say this, since the outboard industry went mostly 4 stroke I have been very happy with our suzuki outboard, best motor I have ever owned, in everything I have owned. I don't know if it's a bike or car engine but it is fast and very quiet.

Dont they already have emmision regs on new sleds? It seems the other 3 mfgs can make clean 2-strokes. Seems like alot of people just hate the smoke and smell, which I can understand even though I like it. Unfortunately more weight is always a bad thing so there will be alot of holdouts until the weight drops down. Isnt the Yamaha Phazer the lightest 4-stroke out. I think its 487 with electric start. Thats impressive compared to the other 4 stroke tanks.

Last edited:
I don't think so, if they did everyone would have efi standard by now....at least. It is coming.....when I was at GM school back in 99 they have a emissions report that a 2 cycle jetski running for 2 hours polluted more than a new honda accord running 130,000 miles.....no $$it!!! Not a hybrid either! Not that I want emissions on sleds.....but it is things like this that make me think.

horkn said:
geez, come on now, regarding the cylinder head config.

Look at AMA superbike racing.

that is where the RX1, now apex motors were born from. now as much as I like my yamaha's, look at the top bikes in AMA racing, and in superbike, the suzuki GSXR1000 is the dominant bike. Even in lower displacement classes, 600cc in both supersport (mostly a stock bike) and in Formula Xtreme, the Honda has the edge. granted yami did not field a factory superbike for about 5 years until this past season, but I doubt that any results would have changed in racing. there were however several privateers, and close to factory teams running yami machinery with fairly good results, but nothing as dominant as the Suzukis/ hondas have been in respect to superbike and SS/ FX. suzuki won every superbike race this season, and in 06, suzuki won all but 1 race. Honda's Jake Zemke won 1 race of 2 at Utah in 06.

not to mention, the current R1 sportbike does not use the 5 valve head tech that was deemed to be superior to the 4 valve heads that everyone else uses. Yami dropped the 5 valve heads from the R1 in 07.

as far as if I were to buy a new literbike, It would probably be a new r1, not for HP / tq reasons, but because I am 6'4" and 240lbs, every other mae of bike has shrunk each year to the point that I would not be comfy on longer trips. And the R1s since 04 have been drop dead sexy....

I fully agree with you point about the deal with suzuki merely building motors for cat's use.

Fuji building motors for polaris had nothing to do with the hp/ quality thing either. argue all you want about the old venerable fuji 488, but it is a solid motor, and many have put tens of thousands of miles on them, including I am sure many TY members. the indy 500 was named the "sled of the decade " by a reputable sled mag, and for a good reason.

I in fact have 2 fuji mills currently in our stable, one 87 indy 488 FC trail, and 1 a 94 efi indy 500. the 87 we have owned second hand since like 90, and I have put at least 12k on it. quality wise, it sounds identical to all the phaser 485s I have ever ridden with, or driven myself.

Sorry to disagree with you on a few points, but these are unfounded theories.

I wasn't talking about sport bike racing, haven't followed it, but did happen to catch a few races last season, two 600 class and one 1 litre race. In both the 600 class races I saw, a pair of R6's walking away with it with only a pair of kawi's challenging them in the twisties. But as soon as they came into the straights, the Yamaha's left them parked! It was very obvious that the Yammi's had it in HP department. In both races, the rest of the field wasn't even in sight! In the one 1 litre race I saw, a single Yamaha placed in the top three, don't remember which, but I know it wasn't 1st. I'm not disputing what you are saying, I admit that I don't follow it and those few races can hardly be representative of a season. However, having said that, I believe that like Nascar, the equipment being raced is probably so similar its not even funny. I admit that Honda and Suzuki are capable, that's why I mentioned them, but I wasn't talking about sport bike racing, I was talking about sleds.

Yamaha is renowned for their cylinder head technology and has sold it to many high end customers, including some in Formula 1. The most known technology purchase was of course, the Ford Taurus SHO. Yamaha also built a limited (very) production V12 Super-car that sold for over a million dollars over 14 years ago! I have some pictures and info on it around here someplace, can't quite remember the name of the beast?

As for the two stroke stuff, I'm glad that your equipment is serving you well. But it was an ace mechanic and motocross racer/Yamaha dealer that proved that point beyond a doubt to a group of us one night at his store. He took us out back to the holding compound full of used sleds and had us turn around with our backs to him. He then went out and started sleds and while they ran, pointed out noises that I admit I never would have known were there had he not pointed them out. He had us guess which was the Yamaha, and of course we all guessed correctly. We argued with him pointing out that these sleds probably had many more miles than the Yamahas, then he showed us that it was in fact the Yamahas that had the miles, not the others, but not all of the noises that he pointed out!

Nobody puts the quality in that Yamaha does! We can agree to disagree, but when it comes to purchasing a new snowmobile, mine will be Yamaha! Best. G.

Back