Time to pipe this puppy

5 sleds and 1 jet ski and looks like another jet ski under a red cover next to the srx?

Geez, this guy is good! I figured everyone would miss the hidden RX-1 (clear windshield in front of Viper). Definetly a guy you want working on you motor, amazing attention to detail. Someone get this man a prize.

Last edited:
Ok, time for an update. When I left off the pipes were on, but jetting was not testing and no clutching had been done. Well SNOWRULES and I managed to find a little time today to do some plug reading. So far things look OK, but I'm worried about what might happen if it gets a little colder. Testing was done at approx -2C, which is 28F. I'd like for it to be safe for at least -15C (5F) or -20C (-4F).

Sorry about the blurry pictures, stupid camera doesn't know where to focus. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
While I wait for comments on those I let you know what is left.

I've got a new top gear and chain that should be going in early next week. Then I'm waiting on some 15.6mm rollers from TURK. Once those two things have been taken care of we can start dialing the clutcing in. As it stands now it will only hit 116MHP on the speedo (about 105 MHP actual). Going to need to add a lot more weight to take advantage on all this extra HP, lol.

I've also got a marginal wheel kit to install and some LEDs to hook up.

That's all 4 now......

I cant tell alot of detail from the pics cause they are not very clear but your gonna want to look at 3 things,

(1.)in the actual center elctrode core, is it silver around the edge of it and blacker in the middle or all silver across the bottom of it? silver on the outside edge with a dark to black center means you have a good 10-15 degrres yet in the jetting on the safe side, if its silver all the way across your spot on or slightly lean, and a temp drop could mean engine failure.

(2.)nexthing to look at is the ceramic cone inside, the part that houses the center electrode, is it tan with a dark ring about hafway down on it?

(3.)the ground strap looks to be good, it sometimes will only burn to the bend, but depending on the fuel used youll see it all the way back to the housing, the tan color is good, it actually looks like alot of oil to me because they look a bit crusty as well, but maybe its the photo's?

Then what you do after you look at the plugs is look at the pistons, and its the tally of both the plugs and piston wash tells you where your at. The piston needs to be failry even carbon covered with small silver wash marks near the rear of the piston, if its slightly silver around the edges its "ok" as well , that means your a tad rich but youd have room for a temp drop then in your jetting.

OK, well it look like the plug reading exercise was a waste of time. Pictures turned out very poor. I'll try and do some more this coming weekend.

Until then, how about an update.

Here is a pic of the new gear and chain installed.

Attachments

• Img_0185.jpg
    Img_0185.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Took some time today and fabed up a heat shield for the shock tower. Normally the SLP pipes kit comes with this but because I bought used it was missing. Not too bad looking IMHO.

Attachments

• Img_0189.jpg
    Img_0189.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23
I also adjusted the power vales today, but there really isn't much to take a picture of there. Tomorrow I'm going to put a quick polish on the pipes and reinstall them. If time permits, I'll also get some tunnel polishing done. Anyway, at this point it is definetly ready to run and start dialing in. Hoping to go to the cottage this weekend and all that done.

Well I drove the crap out of it on Saturday (Feb 2nd) and it feels pretty good, plus it didn;t blow up. Seems to be a little rich in the mid, but ok on top. Did 240 miles and went through $200 in gas (got around 5.4mpg, not impressed). Guess I'll have to get some better plug reading pictures because I need to be getting better milage then that to ride in Ontario. Hopefully I can at least lean out the needle a bit.

Other then that. Clutching is definetly off. Engages at about 4400 and climbs to 8950. Primary is slipping and very hot (can't keep hand on it), secondary is hot (don't want to keep hand on it). Hopefully I'll make it up to the cottage Feb 16 and get it dialed in with the help of SNOWRULES. That is if he's not too pissed at me. I'll post some results once I've got some real numbers to work with. At this point I can say it's as fast a last year, but gets there a lot quicker.

Well we finally managed to get some clutching done this weekend. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better then it was. Clutches are warm rather then hot, hole shot is down to 3900 and it pulls right to 8800 and climbs to 9100 (which is a little high). We added a bit more weight to the tip, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Anyway, dialing in the clutching has also greatly improved my fuel milage. Don't have an exact number yet as I've only put 50 miles on it, but I'll post something once I get an idea.

Finally got some good temps for jetting and clutch testing. Lots of pics to come after I feed the little guy.

OK, here are the core details for everyone. I'm running SLP pipes. I've followed their jetting recommendations (Pilots 47.5, Mains 162.5, Needles P-8 @ pos 4, fuel screw 1-3/4) for 0-3000' @ 0-20F. Temperature during the following tests was 4*F. All pictures are PTO, CTR, MAG.

Actual instruction sheet below.

Attachments

• temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Pilot circut test #1 at 1/8 throttle for 500'

Attachments

• pilottest1a.jpg
    pilottest1a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
  • pilottest1b.jpg