Carb cleaning 101 with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

It would be nice if someone hade a carb rack available for pics to do wright up on synchronizing a carb rack, i would do it but i do not have a rack laying around to get pics from..

this is also a very important process to do

unless we have a post(wright up) already on this????

That might be a good topic for the tech contest! I just looked through the engine section of the tech pages and didn't see one but anyone that considers writing this should make sure it doesn't exist in another tech pages catagory.

I'd like to see an explaination on the purpose of each of the jet circuits. i.e., what is the purpose of the needle, the pilot, and main jets? What does the fuel screw do, and why does it matter how far it's in. Also, what does adjusting the float height do?

This is a great write up. I've worked on my sleds all my life but generally stay away from clutches and carbs. I think I'm ready to venture into these areas and be a 'complete' mechanic.

Took the carbs apart yesterday and cleaned them, and I don't have this white piece. Does this piece have to be on there? I don't think they have been on there since we got it and that was 4200 miles ago. This one runs better than the other one too. By the way these are from the SX with 7200 miles.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 1,160
I'm tackling the carbs this week on my 97 700SX. Bought it used this fall and haven't run it much yet, but it was left outside and not taken care of properly in the past. Put fresh fuel in it and changed the plugs and it starts okay, but has terrible performance off idle. Backfiring, spitting, coughing. Even after it was run around the field a few times it wouldn't come out of it. I know it's the pilots--once you get it up to speed it rips. I'm very "book smart" on the carbs, but I haven't had much experience cleaning them in the past. I'll let you all know how it goes. This and one other thread will be my guide.

Twin_SXs said:
I'm tackling the carbs this week on my 97 700SX. Bought it used this fall and haven't run it much yet, but it was left outside and not taken care of properly in the past. Put fresh fuel in it and changed the plugs and it starts okay, but has terrible performance off idle. Backfiring, spitting, coughing. Even after it was run around the field a few times it wouldn't come out of it. I know it's the pilots--once you get it up to speed it rips. I'm very "book smart" on the carbs, but I haven't had much experience cleaning them in the past. I'll let you all know how it goes. This and one other thread will be my guide.
Take your time and do it right, check the tech section out and check and adjust your carb spec's as needed, and clean it the key here!!!!!!!

check throttle end play,oil pump,choke, pay attention to details and she'll be a dependable red rocket...

SXlover said:
Took the carbs apart yesterday and cleaned them, and I don't have this white piece. Does this piece have to be on there? I don't think they have been on there since we got it and that was 4200 miles ago. This one runs better than the other one too. By the way these are from the SX with 7200 miles.

Dude, please update your location to be a little more specific. :)

That piece is primarily there to keep fuel around the jet, should not cause you any problems not being there but I've got no proof/experience that it won't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

crewchief47 said:
That piece is primarily there to keep fuel around the jet, should not cause you any problems not being there but I've got no proof/experience that it won't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Have seen them ran with out them, seem to run ok, but.......i would replace
them if they are not there..

Mrviper700, Don, this may be a dumb question: After cleaning the carbs do I need to bleed the coolant because I took it off the carbs?
Thanks

Clarification Please

Reference to the Fuel Screw? "Idle Hang" Issue. Can you elaborate on this and what was the fix? What does idle Hang mean.

Although most of this appears common to Mukuni carbs I was wondering if carbs on the Venture 600 (1997) is the same proceedure.

Thanks

Last edited:
Great post-questions

Thanks Don, a refresher is always great. On the questons, I might as well chime in since I'm posting anyway:

viper7mi: no need to do any coolant bleeding after removing/reinstalling the carbs. Just hook it all back up and you are good to go.

tripplesec: before you remove your fuel screws, turn them in to lightly seated counting the revolutions as you go so you can find out where they are set right now. Look in the tech section for the stock setting. If your idle is hanging and they were set at less turns out then the stock setting, then re-set them as per specs in the tech section. If the idle still hangs or if they were at stock spec to begin with, then back them out another 1/8th to 1/4 turn.....whatever you want depending on how badly your idle hangs. Out is richer. If you STILL have a problem with the hanging idle then repeat this procedure. The one thing you have to be careful about is if your get much over two full turns out, then the spring will not apply adequate tension to the fuel screw and it may just fall out from vibration. If, however, you are two or more turns out you are probably compensating for jetting that is too lean and other jetting changes (larger pilots) might be necessary. Good luck!

Madmatt

Thanks!! MrViper 700

I called my local dealer yesterday to get the carbs cleaned on my 2 sleds... $180 each (just for carb cleaning!) and a 1 week wait. So I decided to check here and found your post. I took my time on the first (Sx-R 600) last night and had it finished in less than 2hrs. It was easier than I thought and I'm embarrassed- paying for this service in the past! I discovered that the last "tech" to work on the sled wasn't a pro with a screwdriver. All three pilots were plugged and I adjusted the fuel screw back to specs (2 turns) listed on the TY Spec pages from the 2.25 that they were positioned at. The sled fired up on half a pull and idled without skipping a beat. Since it was new, this sled has always backfired out the exhaust until it was really warm and I knew it was running rich. I asked the dealer multiple times to resolve this and they said "its common - don't worry about it" - My test run last night was great (no backfiring) and the sled has never run so smooth!

Thanks again!!!

Today I clean the carbs on my SRX700....

Last edited:
no problem, but the information in the post will cost ya $90 bucks, hey thats 50% off....LOL!!!!

mrviper700, thanks again for the Carb Cleaning 101 information. Removing, cleaning, adjusting and reinstalling was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back