Carb cleaning 101 with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I spent most of the day yesterday taking the carbs off the 700SX. Thanks to this thread, and the other thread on taking them off (I NEVER would have taken the throttle cable and oil pump cable off the throttle handle first) I was able to take them off and go right through them. I elected to leave the float needle and seat alone cause they appeared to be moving correctly and getting the float tab off made me think I would break something. CARB PARTS ARE SMALL!

So anyway, I pulled the center carb apart and removed the jets, and found no problems. The way the sled was running I figured they'd all be full of gunk, so I was a bit concerned that this might not be the problem. Then I pulled the second carb apart and VIOLA! the pilot jet was fully plugged. Same with the third.

I checked the float height on each carb, set the fuel screws to 1.75 turns, and put the sled back together. Just like a brand new machine! Started right up, idled perfectly, and WAABAAAP! off idle--quick, instant acceleration with no bog! I guessed on the fuel screws from reading TY. The sled has VFORCE-I reeds in it (which I inspected) that have been on it since 1998 (previous owner told me that anyway), so I figured stock is 1.5 turns, and vForce should run a bit leaner, so I'll split the difference. Seems to have been a good judgement call, cause it's running GREAT. I'll check plug color after I put a few miles on it to make sure it's not too lean, but for now I want to thank the guys on TY for all the great information provided.

You can't get this technical information ANYWHERE ELSE on the WEB!

great job!! always makes ya feel better tackling something you thought you couldnt do and it then works great! Let er rip!! have a happy holiday! ;)! :wel:

tripplec said:
Reference to the Fuel Screw? "Idle Hang" Issue. Can you elaborate on this and what was the fix? What does idle Hang mean.

Although most of this appears common to Mukuni carbs I was wondering if carbs on the Venture 600 (1997) is the same proceedure.

Thanks

since I have the same sled, 97 venture, and am having fouling issues I thought I might bring this to the top.

now, remember that these 97 600 ventures have the smart carb. so is there any differnces in carb cleaning procedures?

I hear that the vent for the smart carb can get plugged with stuff like belt dust.

I wonder if this is my issue?

but yeah, a good carb cleaning will happen next week.

mrviper700 Don,
I wanted to thank you for the great carb cleaning post. I cleaned my carbs and the sled runs great.
Thanks,
viper7mi

Cleaned the carbs on my wife's SXr 700 following these cleaning instructions and the engine sounds great now.

Thanks to the people that know what there talking about.

Carb type?

TrueBlue said:
Cleaned the carbs on my wife's SXr 700 following these cleaning instructions and the engine sounds great now.

Thanks to the people that know what there talking about.
Do you have the Smart Carbs on that? I never seen a breakdown on them. Mine were working ok last year and I left them alone although I was not getting the reported top speed the sled should be capable of I had no problems.

Last edited:
I want to add that it is a very good idea to sync the carbs after cleaning and or rebuild. Especialy if you took them all the way apart and soaked them in carb cleaner. It takes just a little time but your engine will run alot better. Just my opinion.

Buy the way have you ever seen carbs this bad?? They came off an old Goldwing I have in my shop. Customer stated "it won't run" I wonder why..

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

There is really nothing to sync if your just "cleaning" the carbs, I didnt want to get into that with this thread as its just here for guys to do a basic clean before they ride the sleds.

Yamaha carbs are on a rack and unless you remove the tops and remove the adjusters you cant take it out of sync by just cleaning the carbs.

I agree there is more information on carbs like how to sync them, adjust needle height, adjust TPS sensor,dissassmble the complete rack but its not needed in this basic carb clean 101 post, this was made for the guys who were intimidated by simply opening up the bottoms and cleaning them before riding each season then asking why the sleds wouldnt idle, blew up on first trip out, ran bad, etc.

youll have your hands full cleaning those goldwing carbs...yuck, guy never heard of stabil before...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back