SRX models

Hey Tony, was just looking at your statement there after V-Max-4 800 and remembered that I have video footage of my buddies 95 800 ST on the lake going through the RCMP's radar gun at 160k even! There was quite a bit of snow on the course, hence a lot of drag and he ran a week later on more of a hardpack surface and clocked a 168! That would be so close to that 105 it isn't even funny.

On the first day, my 7000k 93 750 went through the traps registering 160 on the speedo and 154 on the radar gun. Like I said, there was quite a bit of drag and I don't believe that my speedo was actually out by that much. A couple weeks later I had geared the 750 down 1 tooth on the bottom and at 2:00 AM, when a buddies wife kicked us out of the garage for making too much noise, (we were drinkin some shine) we moved our little bench racing session to another friends garage about 3 miles away. It was very cold and took a bit to warm her up, but when she was, she really like that cool air and it didn't take me long to get to my friends. Full moon out lighting the way, the speedo said 180 when I got of it as the road seemed to get real narrow. At 180 I spanked it again and it wanted to go more!!! I didn't have the gumption for any more and locked her down, but man does that thing fly. We still have it with over 11000k showing, ceramic coated the pipes and use it to beat up brand X 800's that think they got it! It flys! I can tell you that if its up to speed, the Attak won't even catch it! G.

Oh, whoops! Trying to do two things at once again, got looking at your list of sleds and what it says after 1995 VMAX 800, forgot where I was and commented on that. lol. I'll be alright, I just outsmart myself every once in awhile. G.

Fun Memories

Was a Dealer in those days, yamaha had some cool stuff for these models; grass track/suspension, and what was called a GYT-Kit, all from Yamaha. From my own hands on experience with the 340/440 I can assure you the sleds were the most powerful, the 77 and 78 models were said to produce more power but we found that in our temp and altitude range they would start loosing power from heat build-up with-in the first lap, and the 76 models would charge by. HP levels were unknown (their were no statement of orgin) in those days. Our machines were Dynoed by a independent shop in Salem, Oregon 92=340 106=440 at 500ft ASL 50°F. Our 440 really started running above 9300rpm by 9800rpm the torque rise was starting to peak. We left the clutching at 98-10k, our working perimeter's were 5500ft > 8500ft, sub-zero > 50°F. All the GytKit added to our 440 was a respectable sound and better throttle response. I didn't try the grass drag track setup. Our 340 was pre-sold, I only got to see it win in its class. To keep locals happy I started importing the 76 srx 440 out of Yamaha's Canada warehouse the next few years, they were sharp lookers all black. We did sponsored a couple young men riding Polaris Starfire 250's, they did well in the NorthWest and Yellowstone, we even got noticed by Polaris Factory but they didn't pick the correct time to show up, I was welding a hole in the PTO side piston with oxy-acetylene torch (in-frame) head off only, at the track before the finals, I don't think I impressed them (never heard from them again) I was later told by my distributor they were factory engineers. I guess they didn't need to ask me, after seeing what I was doing. We still finished first & second. Yes we did change the pistons out the next week.

The Brands we sold and serviced; Yamaha, Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Kawasaki-SnoJet. We were heavy in Yamaha and Polaris, Ski-Doo and Kawasaki light sales, after a few years I let Ski-Doo go and Kawasaki just didn't have the heart. I also started regretting selling the Exciter 340, most couples would be a his and hers choice to save money - I had too many front end repairs on the 340's (high engagement speeds and old pri clutch design), On the other hand Polaris TX340 shifted great but had heavy steering. In 1977 I got my first shipment of Yamaha's and a few ET340's Damn! I didn't order enough, it was light, cheap and it could easily be modified for out area. Several nights a week a group of friends would ride from my store and it was not long before most of use were using the ET340, it could stay with and outrun most sleds to 60mph, plus you could look foward to the next day of not being sore. I sold 54 of this model the first year. Most dealers had not a clue what that machine could do, they felt it was something Yamaha shoved down their throat so they could get the hot licks, for me the ET340 put us on the map and saved my ***. After a few months I had bought most of the dealers inventory here in the northwest. Remember; inflation was double digit, Nixon price freeze, just hard times for every one.

I hope you enjoyed my memories

vmax83 said:
anyone here give an honest speed of a good runnin studded 83 v-max on ice?
My father had an '83 VMax,one of my all time Fav sleds. I had an '86SRV at the time. We had pulled over on a local small lake for a rest, I hopped on his Vmax, went to the far end of the lake turned around and let her rip- Saw 98mph on the speedo, Quite a bit faster than my 86SRV that I thought was fast when I was 19y/o.

had all the srx,s one time or another. 76 through 81. bought a 1979 brand new, the vmax was no match for the srx. hp was very close and the srx was lighter, no way. my 83 vmax really runs nice, but won,t take any of the srx,s i had. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
had all the srx,s one time or another. 76 through 81. bought a 1979 brand new, the vmax was no match for the srx. hp was very close and the srx was lighter, no way. my 83 vmax really runs nice, but won,t take any of the srx,s i had. 3:16 (yammie tony)

You were a lot lighter when you rode the old SRX.......

:)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
ya think. 3:16 (yammie tony)
lol- I was just thinking I was about 155 when I ran my dads vmax, now I am 240 so I doubt me on an srx would even break 100-lol

The 81 was by far the best trail sled but also the heaviest of the bunch and therefore the slowest.

I agree the 81 was the heaviest but by far not the slowest nor was it the best trail sled. It had nearly 90 hp and was very temperamental. It didn't come onto power until you got it above 6000 rpm and then all hell broke lose. Yes they had a good ride and set up for it you could trail them but they just made a better lake rocket. Also they were the first consumer sled to break 100 mph acording to snow goer mag in 81 shoot out. I've see. Them run in 600 class and do quite well.

Wow. No that was 1981 but I do remember that shoot out. It was such a big deal that the sled broke 100 mph and the Polaris guy went nuts and wanted to put a lube system on his Indy an have a rematch. I'm good for useless knowledge like that.

Oh you would be surprised what people have stored away... somewhere an article was posted showing the big 4's muscle sleds going head to head in a friendly top speed challenge, 1983 was the year if memory serves... V-max 540 the winner!!!

I know what you mean. I kept all my Snow Goer, Snowmobile and Snow Week mags from the 70's & 80's but tossed them around the mid 90's when I sold my sleds and got into Harleys. Now I'm back into vintage Yamaha's. Whished I'd kept them. Had some good race info in them. We used to drag race every weekend back in the 70's and 80's. Picked up a lot from them. I could be wrong about the snow goer shoot out. I was thinking about it and I do remember a cover or an add saying the 100 mph sleds are here and an 81 SRX ran 100 mph in stock form. I also remember a separate article about the 81 aside from the shoot out. I'm almost sure it was Snow Goer. But again that was 30+ years ago. I recently gave Leon Koch an old Snow Flurries mag with a story on the 73 SR and the Yamaha race team inside. I should have kept it though.

Back