Yamaha vs. Polaris Dragon

Gorkon

Had an awesome ride on Saturday on our 06 Attaks. Wound up in a small town bar for a burger and a beer and met up with a three other sledders who were sitting there drinking beer.

After some conversation we decided to ride with them to another town cross country as we had never been that way and were curious how to get there. One these guys had a new, piped 700 Dragon 163 and he led the way, going warp factor seven I might add. My buddy was following fairly close behind, but I was a ways behind him and just enjoying the ride. The three of us had left the two guys waaay behind on and 800 mxz and an old 500 Indy.

When we got there, the Dragon rider was beaking off about how the Yamahas couldn't keep up with him. I played along and agreed with him, saying that he was right and that the Yamahas just didn't have the power or suspension to keep up with his Polaris, just having fun with it. We soon left for the next destination on the trail with the Dragon leading the way again as neither my buddy or I knew the trail.

When we arrived he started again and just wouldn't let up, really rubbing it in and was getting quite annoying, so proud of his Polaris. That's fine with me, I don't care what people ride, they're the one who has to put up with it. I asked him if he'd ever ridden one these four stroke yammies and he scoffed and said no, and that he would never ride one of "those heavy pigs"!

Soon, we headed back, once again with the Dragon in the lead and he was once again flying low. By now I'd had enough following and decided to show him some real power. I turned up the wick and soon passed my buddies Attak and flew past that Dragon like it was parked! He must have figured that was a fluke and I heard him dial it on. We crossed a road and both hammered the throttle, I could see the light from his headlight in my perepheal and then, I was gone!!! He tried me a few more times, but with the same result, my bone stock, 8500kls Attak KILLED that Polaris! We stopped and he sheepishly asked if he could ride it! Ha ha ha!

After riding the Polaris, I can say that it steered well, the seat and suspension were like a board compared to my Yamaha, and it didn't have near the power of the Attak! My suspension was far superior, I wouldn't trade him sleds for nothing!

All in all, it was a fun 100 plus mile ride, it didn't take long though! Oh, I almost forgot, he had to stop and fuel up and I still had one bar at the end of the day! Yamaha baby!!!! G.

Attachments

• My Attak.jpg
    My Attak.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 18

well thats polaris junk for u , my body bought a 900 fusion last year and i rode it for a while and rides like a board and they are top heavy was riding a yamaha sxr700 much better sled more stability and control in high speedturns if u were racing in the bush with tight turns and switch backs the yamahas would kill this sled and it runs with it across the lake.

the dragon is a nice sled its suspention is just set up for rough stuff. its real stiff. the fusion 900 on the other hand was junk. i hate gettin them in at work. nuttin but problems. my boss said that at a dealer meeting that an engineere told him they would have made more money if they built all them then just crushed them and scraped the metal insted of tryin to fix all the problems. havent seen any problems with the new 700 efi motor tho. the dragon would be my second choise of a sled if i was to get a polaris. the 600 RR would be first. but im a yamaha man and bought a phazer when i work at a polaris dealership and could have gotten it for cost

as grown men we should respect other peoples sleds as we all love snowmobling it the jerks that own them that ruin it .ha ha i love yamaha people always run yamahas down they are just uneducated fools next time just say polaris has a new addition to there tool box its called a tow rope

polaris makes great sleds, the dragon is one of them. the IG has the best front suspension out there, and the rear susp is really good as well.

the fusion esp the 900 was not a great sled, mostly due to the motor. although I did not care for its styling.

the 700 you are dogging on has a 300cc displacement disadvantage.
at 140hp, it has a lot of power for a little 700.

I know this is a yami site, but come on.

It just goes to show you how intimidated that guy was of the yammie. Thats why it meant so much to him for beating you.(Only in his world) Thats why I like who I ride with. Older guys. We like to line em up when the trails permit to do it safely but all in all we just love to ride. As long as everyone gets back in one piece and the sled too thats what its all about.

I'm glad you showed him what a yammie could do,i was getting pissed at you reading this at first...lol

One of these days I would like to buy 1 sled from every mfr. so if some loudmouth tells me my sled is no good Ill just go back to the trailer and get the "good sled of the day" just to shut him up. I dont care what anyone rides as long as it runs. Ive never ridden a sled that wasnt fun (even the Pooolaris 550 fan that I rented a few times).

horkn said:
polaris makes great sleds, the dragon is one of them. the IG has the best front suspension out there, and the rear susp is really good as well.

the fusion esp the 900 was not a great sled, mostly due to the motor. although I did not care for its styling.

the 700 you are dogging on has a 300cc displacement disadvantage.
at 140hp, it has a lot of power for a little 700.

I know this is a yami site, but come on.

Uh, it was piped........So what's that? 140 + hp? So it was maybe allegedly down a few ponies, but 489 lbs dry compared to my 570 lbs dry!!!!!!! By the numbers, it should have beat me, but IT WAS A DOG! I spanked it like it was it was a little boy! The raw power and unbelievable response of this four stroke continues to amaze me!

Like I said, I don't care what other guys ride, they're the ones that have to fix, er,... I mean ride them.

I have my rear suspension set on soft! We were pounding it HARD! At times I was doing 100+ mph! Cross country! I rode both back to back, the rear suspension simply wasn't as good, PERIOD! As for the alleged displacement disadvantage, my four stroke is only classified as a 600! And it's stock, not piped! I do think that the Polaris front suspension is a good idea, and like I said, it steered well. But if it came to swapping sleds, not a chance man! Polaris Dragon, you have been weighed and measured, and found wanting! G.

There is still a 300cc displacement disadvantage.

300cc's 4 stroke terms is a LOT more tq.

whatever, while you say you don't like to bag on what other people ride, but most posts of yours are baggings on other brands.

How was his rear suspension set? what is your weight compared to his?

there are a TON of variables.

the attak is not classified as a 600. that would be the 3 cylinder yamahas. your 4 cylinder goes against the big iron from all the other brands.

it would not be fair to race a dodge viper vs a 300c, even hemi equipped. it's the same comparison.

compare apples to apples first.

Last edited:
Attak is classified to run in the 600 triple class. Time to educate horkn on 2 vs 4 stroke technology cus when you compare them cc to cc it really makes you look bad to anyone with any mechanical knowledgs at all.

Two-stroke engines fire once every revolution (four-stroke engines fire once every other revolution). This gives two-stroke engines a significant power boost

Two-stroke engines have the potential for about twice the power in the same size because there are twice as many power strokes per revolution.

I hope this makes you post in a slightly more educated manner?

no, I fully realize 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

the 1000cc attak 4 cylinder is in the 800+cc comparo. the 3 cylinder 120 or so hp yamahas are pitted against the 600s.

if you speak of some race class for drags, whatever, I am talking apples to apples.
The dragon 700 is a twin, that means there are 2 cylinders. Triple means 3 cylinders.
Sorry for the condescending terms, but you went that direction with me.

yamaha races a nytro 3 cyl vs the 600 2 strokes in snoX

My posting is correct.

Sorry horkn
I race ssra sanctioned races & sdsra sanctioning bodies in the us have the same classes.
120 hp 957 4 stroke triple runs 500 cc class-vector; pre 08 nytro
130 hp 1057 cc triple runs 600 single pipe class- new nytro
150 hp 4 cyl 997 engine runs 600 multi-pipe class-Apex/rX-1

These are the classes in the largest racing sanctioning bodies in north america. Some local back yard racing rules official has it wrong.
I love these young kids trying to make their own rules & trying to say everyone else is wrong & they are right!

This is a blast!

Last edited:
Sorry, like I said, I am not mentioning drag racing. I have little interest in that.
marketing pits the vector/ nytro 3 cylinders against the 600 2 strokes, this is no backyard drag racing comparo.

Looks like you need to look into piston speed/max rpm regarding the number of cylinders.

For example, in AMA superbike (all 4 stroke). For a few years, 1000cc twins were allowed to run directly against 750cc 4 cylinders. This was done because the 750cc bikes have higher rpm redlines.

And they were competitive.

Also, a 4 stroke has a lot more tq down low than a 2 stroke does, that hides the extra weight that 4 strokes have.

I like 4 stroke sleds, and I have ridden every variant of 4 stroke motor yamaha makes (not including this years efi'd 3 cylinder FX Nytro). if I were to buya new sled today, it would either be the fx nytro, based on how much I loved the vector I tried, or the apex ltx based on the attak I rode last year.

Why would you assume I am young? I am not an old fart, but definitely not young.

extreme4max4rules said:
well thats polaris junk for u , my body bought a 900 fusion last year and i rode it for a while and rides like a board and they are top heavy was riding a yamaha sxr700 much better sled more stability and control in high speedturns if u were racing in the bush with tight turns and switch backs the yamahas would kill this sled and it runs with it across the lake.

A fusion and a dragon are not even on the same planet. One was a mistake, the other a great sled.

I am confused??? how the hell can you compare superbikes and snowmobiles and get a 300cc DISADVANTAGE from a 700cc 2 stroke to a 1000cc 4 stroke?? The Nytro 1057cc runs in the 600 class....I understand from looking at your previous posts horkn that you are a die hard Poooolaris man and will defend Polaris, Liberty and Fuji industries until your death, but come on here.......smoke another one.

horkn said:
yamaha races a nytro 3 cyl vs the 600 2 strokes in snoX

Soooo, the Nytro 1057cc races in a 600 2 smoke class.......................................according to your math that would be a 457cc advantage over the rest of the 2 smoke class right??!?!?!

BBlueSRX said:
I am confused??? how the hell can you compare superbikes and snowmobiles and get a 300cc DISADVANTAGE from a 700cc 2 stroke to a 1000cc 4 stroke?? The Nytro 1057cc runs in the 600 class....I understand from looking at your previous posts horkn that you are a die hard Poooolaris man and will defend Polaris, Liberty and Fuji industries until your death, but come on here.......smoke another one.

it is simple, really.

If you understand the differences between 2 and 4 stroke, and then the differences in how many, and in what configuration the cylinders are, not to mention if they are naturally or artifically aspirated motors, then you would follow me.

Needless to mention the RX1, nor Apex is based from the r1 sportbike motors from 98-02 for the rx1, and 03-06 r1 sportbike motors for the apex.
1000-700 is 300cc's. Comparing apples to oranges of course, but displacement is still displacement, regardless.

the new nytro should run vs the 600 2 strokes. as it does.

As far as me being a polaris fan, yes I am. I have had many years of happy sledding, jet skiing, and atv'ing from their products. But this is a non sled related argument, fueled by employment of 2 totally different engine technologies rather than by brand loyalties.

fwiw, the only thing smoking here are the 2 cycle sleds.

Not tryin to jump in this or anything but Horkn four strokes are always allowed more CC's than 2 strokes in MOST sanctioned racing. I dont where you come off comparing 2 4 stroke streetbikes, but thats a horrible and off topic comparision. You wanna compare 2s vs 4s look at supercross/motocross..... 450cc 4s RAN in the 250cc 2s class almost double the CC's/250cc 4s RAN in 125cc 2s that is double the CC's. Quads same thing for a 2s quad to run with the 4s 450's of today that 2 stroke has to have some major motor work done to it for it to beable to compete with a 450 4s.

I say "RAN" cause 2 strokes are slowly becoming a thing of the past esp. in motocross/supercross.

Last edited:

Back