2009 ram

I love it. I'm a die hard Ford guy. My dad own's two without having a single problem with over 200,000 on both his 99' half ton and 04' 3/4 ton hemi. Both have plows and are driven hard. It's nice to see the interiors are getting cleaner and more refined. If gas mileage gets better I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

i love dodge, have owned two in the past with no trouble, both are still going.
If i was younger and dumber, i would have to buy a new one.

Thanks to Age and Dave Ramsey, Ill just smile when they drive by.

In another 10 years when i get rid of the truck i have, maybe Ill buy one.

dodge

BETHEVIPER said:
i love dodge, have owned two in the past with no trouble, both are still going.
If i was younger and dumber, i would have to buy a new one.

Thanks to Age and Dave Ramsey, Ill just smile when they drive by.

In another 10 years when i get rid of the truck i have, maybe Ill buy one.

Passed one Saturday (Dodge) WITH A LOAD OF WOOD IN THE BED. Hood open and 4 ways on !!! Sorry Be, your on your own on this one! I worked at a tranny shop for a couple of months. If it werent for Mopar and Ford, he'd been out of business !!! We worked on very few GM trannys unless we were changing oil or doing an upgrade.

Dodges are known for tranny and electrical problems. Fords are stone reliable in comparison.

that said, I guess in a way I drive a dodge.
its a 93 (first year) grand cherokee 4.0 with the AW4 tranny. one year later, in 94, chrysler put a crappy torqueflite derived 42R auto tranny in and quit using what is/ was one of the most reliable tranny's in recent history. funny, but they kept the AW4 behind all 4.0 powered XJ's until they quit making them in 2001.

early 5.2l v8 grands had a decent auto tranny, but then in 95 or 96, they put in a crappy tranny.

the tranny behind the 4.7 v8 dodges is a great tranny, but most chrysler/ dodges have been known to have garbage put in for trannies.

Chysler still has big electrical gremlins though. don't even ask about all the electrical/ stupid engineering issues my mom's 99 WJ ltd grand cherokee has had.

that said, I gotta give dodge credit for keeping solid front axles for so long on half ton trucks.

I have not seen the 09 f150, nor the 09 ram. gotta roll over to the auto show pics I guess.

Looks like a nice truck. Too bad it doesn't have independant front suspention. Those solid axle front end trucks handle terrible compared to ford and GM. I guess they sell a lot of them based on looks. I would never buy one.

it has IFS in the front the rear is they put a new 5 link coil in the rear instead of the leaf spring. and for the tranny problem they fixed that a few years ago in 02 or 03. and yes they were known for tranny problems but that was from 94-02.

Last edited:
i will stick with a chevy. my brother has 200 thousand on his 99 6.0 liter 3/4 ton. not any problems.

Attachments

• front truck (2).jpg
    front truck (2).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0971 (2).jpg
    100_0971 (2).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
justaviper said:
Looks like a nice truck. Too bad it doesn't have independant front suspention. Those solid axle front end trucks handle terrible compared to ford and GM. I guess they sell a lot of them based on looks. I would never buy one.

Handling duties are taken care of just fine by a solid axle. Remember this is for a truck. It is no soft ute crossover. It needs to have good capabilities off road. It has been proven that a solid axle is better in off road conditions (provided you are not going baja1000 speeds) than an independent setup.

When the new 4runner came out in 03, they kept the solid axle in back.
Many assumed that would mean it would ride worse than competition with IRS. They were proven wrong. There a ton of factors involved, including shock choice, spring choice, linkage type, configuration etc.
I have a buddy with an 04 v8 explorer, and my Gf has an 04 v8 4runner. The 4runner rides better, esp inthe back end than the explorer.

Bottom line is that it is a truck, and has to be competent off road. if it were a high speed sports car, then IRS would be better.

remember the IRS equipped 99+ cobras? they handled better on the road course track than the solid axle 98, and that was the main difference in chassis and motor.

horkn said:
Handling duties are taken care of just fine by a solid axle. Remember this is for a truck. It is no soft ute crossover. It needs to have good capabilities off road. It has been proven that a solid axle is better in off road conditions (provided you are not going baja1000 speeds) than an independent setup.

I wander how many consumers go off roading in a new truck, and how often. Personally i prefer a nice riding and handling truck for every day use. If i had to drive a truck like the new dodge with the solid front axle my neck would get very sore from alway's correcting the thing. Been there done that. Bottom line any truck with a solid front axle will not ride as nice as an independant... I repair and drive these trucks every day. nobody will convince me otherwise...

I would rather have solid front and rear axles alot stronger, i can picture all the bushings and all that have to be replaces with independent front, and its so weak. Easyer to lift better axle articulation with solid axle and with the coils it will be even better. just like the jeep wranglers there old leaf spring set up sucked bouncin acrost the road. my brothers 2003 wrangler has coils all around soild axles and you couldnt tell if you were in a jeep. also 2010 the dodge 1500 is offering a v8 cummins turbo diesel!

fastassyamaha said:
I would rather have solid front and rear axles alot stronger, i can picture all the bushings and all that have to be replaces with independent front, and its so weak. Easyer to lift better axle articulation with solid axle and with the coils it will be even better. just like the jeep wranglers there old leaf spring set up sucked bouncin acrost the road. my brothers 2003 wrangler has coils all around soild axles and you couldnt tell if you were in a jeep. also 2010 the dodge 1500 is offering a v8 cummins turbo diesel!

yep, my ZJ grand cherokee was one of the first to use coil springs on all 4 corners with solids front and rear axles. they work great off road. It also makes them cheap and simple to lift. I got a 3" BB lift for my jeep for under 200 dollars with extended travel shocks. the same lift for our 4runner would be 700 ue to the IFS.
the 97+TJ wrangler used the same setup as the ZJ grands and it works great.

the WJ,99-04 grand cherokees, also had solid front and rear, with coils all around. only for the Wk 05+ grands did they go to IFS. And man do you hear guys ragging on that on the jeep forum. all the soccer mom, nice riding SUV etc comments come up.

nice truck but too fancy for what i do with them. ill keep my 98 gmc a lot longer before i upgrade. don't even have 100,000miles on it yet.

99Ford XLT 4x4 over here...but I will admit thats a sweet dodge!!!..the side compartment on the bed rails are sick!!!..great idea...some other good ideas
elsewhere in the new dodge aswell..yes it looks between a ford/dodge/toyota...
I will admit..I won't bash any north american brand of truck..why...cuz my dad...
myself...neighbours/friends all help build em...I support them..and I support their product...All those Calvin and hobs stickers tinkling on a ford logo always has me rolling
my eyes...cars are different...but trucks..keep em north American...all 3 brands...

ford ????

I heard a rumor that Ford is yanking all the new deisels cause of liability. Can anyone confirm this? Something about the ash system that cleans the exhaust after thet are shut down. People are parking them in there garage, going in the house and then the system runs. As it is explained to me there is a heater in the exhaust???? burns the soot out?? This catches the truck on fire and burns the garage (house) down. Makes me especially glad to own a Chevy!! I do wish I had a duramax though.

With the thread in the Yamaha section. I though this was going to be about a new ram intake for our sleds or something. lol Where's the moderators when you need them? jk

Back