Polaris IQ 440?

mm700sleder

what do you guys think about this sled. just wondering about the dark side. i am a die hard yamaha guy, but i absolutely fell i love with one i saw today and want to pull the trigger on it

Attachments

• 010100010412010310200801108673faf3282b2c9b0600ca24.jpg
    010100010412010310200801108673faf3282b2c9b0600ca24.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

i work on the race sleds at work all the time. the 600 rr was my second choice of a new sled this year when i bought my phazer. NEVER EVER buy a race sled and try to make the motor to be used in the trail. they arent designed to be held wide open for any period of time. they trow rods left and right when they are turned into trail machines. now the 600 motor in that chaise would be a fun sled. thats why they came out with the 600 rr. shocks are also real stiff stock. my boss chages out every set of shocks on his 11 sleds cause the stock walkers are just way to stiff. the main thing they are lackin is a sway bar so if u try taking any high speed corners u could be in for a suprise. all in all the trail version is a nice sled altho a 10k + price tag is pretty big.

i can buy a 2005 polaris IQ 440 that has ben trail converted for $500 plus my 2003 viper with no electric start or reverse and 2000 miles on my viper. i was just wondering if i would be happy with this trade and if it is worth it. the iq was never raced and has about 1000 miles on it. the iq also has sweet grapics and is in perfect shape, with aftermarket skis

ull prolly end up throwing a rod. they arent oil injected and in return dont have oil pumped into the crank bearings wich lead to lower bearing failure. also they use grease on the outer bearings that dont last more then a season. if u were to buy one it i would look into buying a 600 ho motor to put in and sell the 440 motor to some one that has blow a crank. id also buy an oil tank and 9 galon tank off a 08 600 rr. then yes it would be a nice machine. we sell our used race sleds and people try trailing them and they always come back with bad cranks. just trying to save u the hassel of a compleat rebuild cuase u threw a bearing and all the little pices made it way to the top and toasted the pistions and cylinders as well.

im not talkin out my a$$ either i work at a polaris dealership. and my boss is one of only 2 fully sponsored polaris race teams. we have a rider in the X games this year im flying out tomorow moring to go watch him.

is it possible to put an oil injection system in it. i think it has one but im not sure. it alreay has the 10 gal tank, and pump gas domes. the guy says its ben trail converted. is there a way to make it safe in a 440

It wont be a very good trail sled. Its purpose-built for snocross. The engine is high-strung and has a short life and it wont be a comfortable sled to ride.
Id pipe the Viper before I traded for a 440 IQ. Unless you are a snocross wannabe, I dont see why youd even want a 440 IQ.

If you truely like to jump and hit the bumps hard you'll love the sled. There's many topics on HCS in the Polaris | 440/race/modified section on how to do the case mod to these motors to make them last longer. 1200psi on SnoWest also sells shorter spindles to make the front end sit lower for better handling. You can also put an IQ consumer chassis front end on an IQ 440. Not sure how much fabricating needs to be done though, not much, if any I don't think. If you want something a little less aggressive that can be ridden sitting down too the Pro-X 600's have a rear suspension and tunnel very similar to the IQ 440 and they can definitly take a beating. Basically the Pro-X would "feel" more like your Viper but still have the suspension that you love on the IQ 440. Mine rides great, I've never wished I had a better suspension.

i realy want to hit the bumps and be super aggressive on the trails, just worried about the motor, but i do believe that its a smoking deal that i can work with

it sounds like a good deal but keep in mind race sleds always go pretty cheap compared to regular sleds. Check the Polaris 440 section on HCS so you know what to look for if you do decide to buy it. Make no mistake these race sleds get the piss beat out of them but some are very good about replacing parts and maintenaince, you just need to make sure the sled you're buying is one of them.

i will do that. i can tell you a little about the sled. the rear shocks were just rebuilt. the hood is painted white, and the spindles in the front are black. it has white c&a skis and white handguards with a bar riser. i was told it was never raced.

Bakemono said:
It wont be a very good trail sled. Its purpose-built for snocross. The engine is high-strung and has a short life and it wont be a comfortable sled to ride.
Id pipe the Viper before I traded for a 440 IQ. Unless you are a snocross wannabe, I dont see why youd even want a 440 IQ.

I agree.

unless it had a non race motor in it, you will end up with motor issues.

a 600VES conversion would be a good ditch banger type sled, but still not great for trail use of any sort.

If you're going to ride it ANYWHERE but on the track, you WILL have major motor issues. In my book a 440 race sled is worthless on the trails or even ditch banging, BUT that is just my opinion. They are engineered for the track and ONLY FOR THE TRACK. But it is up to you in the end. Pipe your Viper and either dial your proaction PROPERLY or throw a different skid under it
So many people complain about how "BAD the proaction rides" IF and I mean IF it is set up properly, it actually handles quite nice in my opinion.
But you can throw ANY skid under a proaction Yamaha if you so choose

The choice is yours what your gonna do, I don't know much about those motors, but doesn't sound like something you would want to trust for a long distance...

Also, I was at the Polaris dealer today getting some parts for a friends sled I'm fixing, I ended up talking to a good friend of mine who is a tech there and I asked him how much HP those motors are making, somewhere in the neighborhood of 115 he said. That's pretty stout from a 440. My 97 XCR 440 (1st year of the Liberty twin) that I sold a couple months ago were about 95-96 he said.

horkn said:
a 600VES conversion would be a good ditch banger type sled, but still not great for trail use of any sort.

Maybe not for you but for other people that are standup rough trail corner to corner riders, it would be excellent for that type of use. If I didnt have my Viper with the ExpertX in it, Id more than likely have a Sno-Pro 440 or 440X both sleds that are/were snowx sleds that can be reliable as long as it trail converted, good fuel is used, and the oil is mixed properly. Piping a Viper can be just as unreliable as one of these snowx sleds if not set up properly. Those snowx sleds would handle the rough trails I normally find just as good if not better than my Experted Viper, maybe not as fast on top end but from 0-80mph theyll hang right there with it.

Curious Horkn and Bakemono how much time have you guys actually spent(Seat time) on a IQ, SnoPro, 440X on the trails????Smooth or rough..........You guys are basically saying that the FX Nytro RTX wouldnt make a good trail sled cause it based off a race sled. FYI it was a race sled before it even went into production for the regular joe schmo to buy. Also some of the regular sleds you find on the showroom floor were based off the snowx chassis's.

For the guy who posted this thread- Buy the sled you want and best suits your needs and ride style. Just becareful and pay attention to detail.

Last edited:
ExpertXViper said:
Maybe not for you but for other people that are standup rough trail corner to corner riders, it would be excellent for that type of use. If I didnt have my Viper with the ExpertX in it, Id more than likely have a Sno-Pro 440 or 440X both sleds that are/were snowx sleds that can be reliable as long as it trail converted, good fuel is used, and the oil is mixed properly. Piping a Viper can be just as unreliable as one of these snowx sleds if not set up properly. Those snowx sleds would handle the rough trails I normally find just as good if not better than my Experted Viper, maybe not as fast on top end but from 0-80mph theyll hang right there with it.

Curious Horkn and Bakemono how much time have you guys actually spent(Seat time) on a IQ, SnoPro, 440X on the trails????Smooth or rough..........You guys are basically saying that the FX Nytro RTX wouldnt make a good trail sled cause it based off a race sled. FYI it was a race sled before it even went into production for the regular joe schmo to buy. Also some of the regular sleds you find on the showroom floor were based off the snowx chassis's.

For the guy who posted this thread- Buy the sled you want and best suits your needs and ride style. Just becareful and pay attention to detail.

A race sled is still a race sled. They are clutched, piped, and calibrated for race duty. They are also light as well, and are not built to last several seasons.

Really, any 440 is not a great trail sled in my opinion. They are a little high strung for trail riding, even when you could buy almost the same sled as the racer version. AFAIK, there are no consumer racer 440's anymore like there used to be. There is a reason for that.

I have spent enough seat time on trails with an IQ600 to know that it is a really nice sled.

The consumer version of the FX nytro is quite a bit different than the one raced last year. Nowdays, consumer sleds being based off of race sleds really don't have a lot to do with the consumer verisons other than similar looks. The closest is probably the IQ600RR, and that is still suspended different enough that one would quickly be able to realize the difference betweena consumer iq600rr, from the real race version.

A nytro RTX is probably close to the perfect sled for my trail use, and 100% the perfect sled for me if it were made into an LTX version.

horkn said:
A race sled is still a race sled. They are clutched, piped, and calibrated for race duty. They are also light as well, and are not built to last several seasons.

Really, any 440 is not a great trail sled in my opinion. They are a little high strung for trail riding, even when you could buy almost the same sled as the racer version. AFAIK, there are no consumer racer 440's anymore like there used to be. There is a reason for that.

I have spent enough seat time on trails with an IQ600 to know that it is a really nice sled.

The consumer version of the FX nytro is quite a bit different than the one raced last year. Nowdays, consumer sleds being based off of race sleds really don't have a lot to do with the consumer verisons other than similar looks. The closest is probably the IQ600RR, and that is still suspended different enough that one would quickly be able to realize the difference betweena consumer iq600rr, from the real race version.

A nytro RTX is probably close to the perfect sled for my trail use, and 100% the perfect sled for me if it were made into an LTX version.

-Clutching and gearing on a 440 snowx sled can easily be setup for trail riding, which will control how that "high strung" engine revs. The AC/Doo dealer where my parents bought their A/C quads from set up SnoPro's and 440X's all the time for trail use and have very few customer comebacks but again I mention IF set up properly and quality fuel is used. Thats why I said if I didnt have my Viper Id be going through the trails on either a 04 440x or 06 Sno Pro cause he(owner of dealership) had 2 newly trail converted snowx sleds sitting on the floor in mint condition.

-So your saying cause there light they wont last seasons of trail riding cause they were raced for a season or 2???? Theyll just fall apart...right??? I mean they werent built to beat the snot out of or nothing.

-What the hell do you mean by high strung????Ive never heard of any engine described that way maybe a dog or human but not a engine.

-Was that IQ600 a EX-Race sled or a consumer sled????

-Are you a sit down or standup rider?

-Have you even ridden a new Nytro yet???

-So the 02 SnoPro wasnt the ground breaker for the newer firecat chassis or front suspension???? Nore Yamaha's race sled last year wasnt the ground breaker for the new Nytro? I never said every part from the race sled to the consumer sled was the same, I said "based" which means shares the same parts maybe not all but some.

Last edited:

Back