Polaris IQ 440?

By, "high strung", he means that the engine is designed to get the maximum horsepower out of it.
Everything inside of the engine is lightened-up in order to get everything possible that the engine is capable of.
Its kind of a like a dirtbike engine. Great power, but no durability.
Its the same with the chassis on those sleds too. They are made as light as possible and durability is often sacraficed.
Im not saying dont buy the sled, I just want you to be aware that its not a sled that you ride year after year after year only doing a minimum of maintenance to. Its a race sled and race sleds require a skilled mechanic to keep them up and running.
Like I said, Id put pipes, an articulating bar riser and a Boss seat on your Viper before I traded for a 440 IQ.
I dont mean to tell you what to do and only you know in your heart what you really want. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

well guys i am picking up the sled tonight. i worked a deal that was $200 plus my viper. i plan on putting an 800 motor in it over the summer. I still have my 2000 sxr500 but i really think all have some fun with this IQ. all post tomarrow after i take the seld out

ExpertXViper said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now dirt bike engines arent durable.......LOL

they really are not, at least not the 2 stroke race class ones (CR, yz, kx, rm)

they need to be torn down and rebuilt regualrly to be competitive. I have owned quite a few 2 stroke dirtbikes and found that even after a couple seasons of non race use, they would not perform as they used to, until they were bare minimum re rung.

I made the mistake once of buying a raced suzuki RM250 a few years back. That entire bike needed a 100% overhaul. Yeah I got it cheap, but I never figured I would need to replace every bushing in the suspension for one thing.
I have had only non raced bikes since, and never ran into any of the issues that I had on that particular RM.

FWIW, the term "high strung" has been used to describe 440 class race sleds for quite a long time.

Anyway....

to the OP,

Have fun with the IQ! an 800cc version would be a beast. Make sure to post more pics of it and keep us updated!

Back