Helmets

What Helmet style Do You Ride With?

• Total voters

SpiderViper

Hey guys i was just wondering what the majority is for helmets on this site. What do you guys where? I have switched to open face and never looked back...

~Chris

:winterrul

I baught one of those bombardier fighter jet style ones and love it just need to remove the bombardier stickers, with glasses its the only thing i have eer worn where i dont have to open my visor to keep them from fogging.

Bought a HJC...while it sometimes fogs on me, It's pretty decent. The breath deflector works decent for me. If I had Estart I might wire in a visor heater.

i bought a moto style for this winter and i love it.

i stay warmer on the moto then i do with a full face believe it or not.

you just need a decent balaclava to deflect the wind.

also the moto helmets are lighter on your head.

Dave_Vmax600 said:
i bought a moto style for this winter and i love it.

i stay warmer on the moto then i do with a full face believe it or not.

you just need a decent balaclava to deflect the wind.

also the moto helmets are lighter on your head.

I switched years ago to an MX style helmet, but I still own my HJC for mega super cold weekends.

It has to be about negative 15 degrees F for me to wear the full face.

I have my goggles set up with the nosepiece, and the Neoprene face / mouthguard built in. It all snaps to the goggles. When teamed with a nice balaclava, and when needed another full neoprene face mask, I can stay warm at most times. IME, the only real way to keep clear shields is to have a good pair of goggles. I have not tried one of those Skidoo helmets though, since I found my setup that works before that helmet came out. Plus, the modular helmet sure is a pricey helmet.
If you need you can get prescription goggles as well.

i have had three skidoo modular helmets, the first year version was a bitter sweet purchase. it let so much air and snow dust into it i had to tear it apart and add foam and felt seals here and there, much better after that. the next year they came out with an update kit that gave you the foam air deflector that comes with them today and also alot of foam pieces to fix what i had fixed the year before. the helmet was great for years, never fogs. because the helmets dont fog, you never need to wipe the shield so the lenses dont haze up. i used it for 5 years then sold it and bought another one, newer style used, not much was changed from the original, tiny changes. just sold that after a few years and bought the newest version. i love the extra features. the liner can come out to wash, the lens fits tighter, seems to have more vision, latch feels tighter. front vent is larger and all levers have rubber on them so they are easier to grip. there is a nicer front lower chin deflector that comes back further and is attached with magnets so if you turn your head they unhook, when you straighten out and start going again, if they dont relatch, the wind will make it latch again.

they do still have the same dark sunglasses in them, wish they would have dark yellow for better depth perception.

they use the same breath box and you will need to add o rings on the inside to keep them in all the time. you can still eat twisslers, slim jims and smoke through the tubes in the side with out removing the breath box.

there is also a vent in the top edge above the lens that pull air accross the lens inside. the best i can say is it is for defoging the lens after standing around for 10min or so talking with the shield up. this will get some fog on the shield and with my other helmet it would take some riding with the shield slightly open to get it cleaned up.

again, the sizing is screwed up, my first helmet, a bieffe, i took a xlarge, the first version i took a xxlarge, this newest version, i took a xxxlarge.
i wish manufacturers would standardize the measurements.

all in all, i would give the first style of this helmet an 8, this newest version i would give a 9, if they would give a bit more room in front of the mouth piece, install an led in the back, and offer a yellow shield, i would give it a 10

the BRP emblems remove easy and if you order part number 4XV-2341B-00-00 EMBLEM $8.75 it fits perfectly over the boss made to hold the BRP you take off the front.

oh yeh, i would like a rear view camera in an upper corner, that would be great too.

Six years with the moto style for me. The only problem I had was the lens freezing over when riding 70+ mph at 35 below. When I first started most people looked at me like I was an idiot. Now everyones got one.

Groovetastic said:
Six years with the moto style for me. The only problem I had was the lens freezing over when riding 70+ mph at 35 below. When I first started most people looked at me like I was an idiot. Now everyones got one.

yeah I started with MX helmets back on my old Formula Plus. That was around 10 years ago. I remember those looks as well....

Just started snowmobiling and I got a BV2S. So far I love it. Seals right up, very warm and great peripheral view. I don't care if I don't "match" and says Bombardier on it. They where good enough to make the helmet they deserve the credit.

I have the HJC acx2 MOTO helmet, breath box, Spy Blizzard mirror goggles, Klim face mask and I like this set up. It is light, warm, easy to see and never fogs. I still have the modular and an old HJC too.

Motocross helmet all the way. Goggles dont fog up and as long as you have a good breathguard for your helmet and a good baclavia you wont get cold.
Ive tried various fullface helmets (I even tried a modular with a heated shield) and they all fog up.
I still get those weird looks from people when they see me with my moto helmet. Apparently, as soon as you put on a motocross helmet it instantly makes you a pro-level racer.

I have a HJC cl-15 Dragon and it lets all kind of snow in and ices as well. My fiance has the same helmet and she and I both had the same effects. I thought about a heated shield but am having trouble putting money into something that doesnt make me go faster LOL.

full face for me, yamaha sno force 2 I think. next one will be a scorpion though. has a sunshield and you can change colors of it, and it is a nice fitting well made full face. same company that makes doos helmets, without the doo stickers and a lot cheaper lol!

03viperguy said:
full face for me, yamaha sno force 2 I think. next one will be a scorpion though. has a sunshield and you can change colors of it, and it is a nice fitting well made full face. same company that makes doos helmets, without the doo stickers and a lot cheaper lol!

I have been thinking about a scorpion exo 700 ( the one you are speaking of) for motorcycle use. I have read a few reviews of this helmet when set up for snow, and it appears that they have more of a problem with fogging than most helmets. Let me dig up the links, but one review that said that it fogged quite a bit more than other helmets was by sledhead 24/7 IIRC.

That's too bad, since it is a really nice looking helmet, and the sun visor is a nice addition. That visor is one of the main reasons I want an exo 700 for my bike.

I work at a motorcycle dealer that sells scorpion and I had never heard of them before I started there, but all my coworkers including my boss wears scorpion and well sell Shoei (actually one of the biggest shoei dealers in W. MI) and my boss and his wife use their exo 700 in the snow and have had nothing but good things to say and no fogging issues as long as the breath box is installed correctly and you fit it to you before you go riding by adjusting it to fit your face.
I wear an HJC moto style helmet right now since I started racing MIRA oval in 2000 and have not looked back Im in the process right now of getting a Scorpion vx-17 just have to decide which one as the fit compared to my HJC is incredible and they also sell a sno conversion kit that has a front "cover type breath box". If anyone has anymore questions about them pm me I know where to get them cheap right now shipped anywhere for any scorpion helmet :rockon:

Bill

billbies said:
I work at a motorcycle dealer that sells scorpion and I had never heard of them before I started there, but all my coworkers including my boss wears scorpion and well sell Shoei (actually one of the biggest shoei dealers in W. MI) and my boss and his wife use their exo 700 in the snow and have had nothing but good things to say and no fogging issues as long as the breath box is installed correctly and you fit it to you before you go riding by adjusting it to fit your face.
I wear an HJC moto style helmet right now since I started racing MIRA oval in 2000 and have not looked back Im in the process right now of getting a Scorpion vx-17 just have to decide which one as the fit compared to my HJC is incredible and they also sell a sno conversion kit that has a front "cover type breath box". If anyone has anymore questions about them pm me I know where to get them cheap right now shipped anywhere for any scorpion helmet :rockon:

Bill
Maybe it was operator error on the review I read of the snow exo helmets?? I know they make nice street helmets, a few of my friends have them.

Nice, I might have to use your Hook up!

I love my Shoei RF1000R bike helmet, but I want either a Scorpion EX0 700 or an AGV Stealth for this upcoming season.

they make snow specific helmets and I think they have more vents, rather than the conversion for the street helmet :)

Back