Toyota Tundra or GMC Sierra. Wich one to buy

Nicko

Argentino Loco
I'm looking to buy one and just want some opinions....I'm more of a Imported guy car/truck more than American stuff ( no ofense guys ) The GMC has 85 K miles and the Toyota 120 K they are both V8 and ext cab with 4wd, and both at dealers, price is the same at 10500. I'm leaning to the GMC because is a low miles truck but like I said the Toyota's are great truck and last long....er ?

They are both 2000 models full power. So what should I look for...? Problems wise ? recalls..? Etc etc etc.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to test them....

Thanks

Nick

I'd go with the toyota personally. But I got to say ford would be your best bet. I was a chevy man for years.. never owned a good one. Had a toyota p/u, was a nice truck, very relaible/tough, but couldnt handle being a truck.

That yota 4.7 is a very nice V8. we have one in our 04 4runner.

If mileage were the same, I would go Yota, but in this case, get the one in nicer shape if that is a variable.

Try them both out, see what YOU think. Buy the one you like, and tell us.

Then someone will tell you whatever you bought is junk.LOL

i love chevy but i would suggest u to go with toyota ... with the new version one ... the first tundra they had problem with ball joint ..but the new release suppose to be fix

Toyota just announced the warranties on the early Tundras were being extended due to the frames rotting. They have had ball joint issues and rotor warping issues. I have a friend that has one and it has more rattles and squeeks than my 96 Club Wagon with 196,000 miles. They aren't any thing special. I would go with the Chevy and think about a newer Tundra, but even those have had a ton of issues. JMHO

I dont know what the care prices bring where your at but that sounds high.

I just got a 02 F-250 Powerstoke with 60,000 miles on it loaded Crew cab 8 ft bed for 9500....

Look around look for a private sale there usually cheaper.... Try looking on autotrader.com

What motor is in the GMC??? 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L. Id put my money on any of those 3 motors againest any Toy truck motor. Reliabilty wise theyve all proven themselves and I see them in our shop all the time with 200,000+ miles getting minor tune ups or maintence. If you dont believe me spend some time on a GM forums before you buy. But Ill never buy a used vehicle from a dealer unless I personally meet the previous owner, you never know what your getting yourself into. Note thats coming from a person that works at a dealer.

BTW I drive a 07 Silverado 4x4 Z71 5.3L and hate the ride quality, towing or not. The power and off road cap. I love its just the ride thats gunna make me go back to a Ford or a Older Silverado.

Well both sold over the weekend.....F***ing dealer he could call me and let me know since he had my number and had me walk in there asking for it and offering me some other trucks....I just walked out....Still looking and will hear more opinions....

DODGE : NO THANKS
FORD: for that money sure but they get a lot more expensive here.

I guess i'm leaning to the Chevy or GMC around 2000-2002 with the 5.3 L v8 for around 9000-11000 range. All these with under 100K

I'd loved to find PS for that much.

polaris500 said:
I dont know what the care prices bring where your at but that sounds high.

I just got a 02 F-250 Powerstoke with 60,000 miles on it loaded Crew cab 8 ft bed for 9500....

Look around look for a private sale there usually cheaper.... Try looking on autotrader.com

Heres a chevy 1500 for ya... i found it on autotrader.
Truck

Heres a few others also...
Autotrader

What about craigslist Have ya looked in there auto section Weed through there pages and look sometimes ya can find a deal on there.
Craigslist

I'd loved to find PS for that much.

Ya it was a steal.

I was working out of town as i do Major road construction and was driving back trying to find the hotel and saw it sitting in a front lawn so i stopped to look at it and some Real old fellow came out.
Well He had surgery on his left leg and couldnt press the clutch in anymore. I took it for a spin and well the clutch was a bit worn from him driving with his bad leg.

When i asked how much he was asking i said id take it I gave him all the $205 That i had in my wallet to hold it till my dad could drive down and give me the rest and he took it home. And when i called my dad he thought i bought a piece of #$%&* ....

Last edited:
Yes I checked craiglist often but they are a lot of salvage and scammers, I need a realiable truck, that black one 04 for 11 will be nice will see tomorrow if still there......and half of the other ones on the trader are gone I was checking a few at a dealer today....But thanks men

Nick

This one was in my local paper today. Looks like a pretty good deal. Older than what you are looking at but..................

$2,950 1987 Ford 1987 FORD 3/4 Ton XLT, diesel, 4x4, King-Cab, 78K, blue, new tires, great condition, $2950. (612)865-2031
~78000 miles

The company I work for sold their crew cab power stroke (7.3) loaded XLT 4x4 F250 (I think it was an 01) for under 10 grand. It had just under 100k on it and was MINT. Had I had the $$ at the time I would have jumped on it.

but you should be able to find a chevy 5.3 for what you are looking to spend no problem.

Good luck

i got a an 03 sierra 1/2 ton for under 10,000. i love mine. i have gotten as good as 20mpg. i bought it wrecked and built though so thats why so cheap.

I worked for a DODGE dealer and RARELY did you see a dodge truck in the shop... I worked for FORD and they were DROPPING LEFT AND RIGHT!!!! The shop was FULL with warranty work... i am just telling you WHAT I HAVE NOTICED working for the DEALERS!!!!

nosboy said:
I worked for a DODGE dealer and RARELY did you see a dodge truck in the shop... I worked for FORD and they were DROPPING LEFT AND RIGHT!!!! The shop was FULL with warranty work... i am just telling you WHAT I HAVE NOTICED working for the DEALERS!!!!

Maybe times have changed or maybe just the location cause our dealership owner/president owns 2 Chrysler(1 Dodge-1 Chrysler/Jeep) dealers on top of the Chevy dealership that Im employed at and the Chrysler dealerships see way more truck business than we do. We(Chevy) see more heavy work being done on DM Diesels than we do on any Chevy gas trucks. Dodge only gets my vote in the Diesels category and the only reason behind that is the engine builder.

Back