97 Sx 700

SXlover

Well guys, I decided that with 74XX miles on the sled it was time for the motor to come apart. And might as well check out the rear suspension too.
Here's what we found.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22

Ran just as good as our 05 Vipers do. Only tore it down to put piston rings in and check out all the crank bearings.

Well all new pistons will be ordered. After further inspection one has a crack in the skirt.

was it the center one in the picture? my buddy has an 00 sxr 700 with 13000 miles on it - I bet he has a lot of cracks in his piston skirts. the thing has to be a time bomb every time he rides it ....

nope...i think it was the left one...ill have to look again...the cracked started at the whole where the piston pin goes in

Hello.

Make sure you replace that '97 (pto or mageto? forget) crank bearing with the updated '98 crank bearing while you have it out. This was a know problem on the '97's and would be a shame to not replace at this stage. I have the PN for the bearing and another supporting part lieing around somewhere if you need this info.

Mark

2003VIPERER said:
In Picture #5 There Is A Little Blue On The Crank By The Connecting Rod. How Is The Bearing On That Rod Look?

Yes there is, and also by one other one. Bearings are good. It has to be from when it was assembled.

otis700 said:
Hello.

Make sure you replace that '97 (pto or mageto? forget) crank bearing with the updated '98 crank bearing while you have it out. This was a know problem on the '97's and would be a shame to not replace at this stage. I have the PN for the bearing and another supporting part lieing around somewhere if you need this info.

Mark

That would be the mag side. At this time we have decided not to do that due to the case having to be machined to accept it. But yes I do know about the issue. We have over 7400 miles on this sled and im pretty sure the motor had never been opened.

Last edited:
Figured Id post up the before and after pic and a better pic of the cracked piston.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Finally put the new outer crank bearings on and got the cases put back together.

Attachments

• 0522092246.jpg
    0522092246.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Bearing

While its apart i would replace the bearing on the secondary sheave shaft. i Blew mine up last year and shredding the shaft, the frame and the gas lines which started spewin gas all over the place which was sweet.. ha. anyway you know any more comfortable suspension that would fit on that sled.. also post more pics when you can its looking like a nice rebuild might have to do that myself since its already half way there waiting for parts.

Here's a picture of the complete motor until I can get a better one and one from when we took it out. Still need to replace the bushings in the suspension and check out the chaincase.

Attachments

• 0523091557c.jpg
    0523091557c.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
gspeed108 said:
While its apart i would replace the bearing on the secondary sheave shaft. i Blew mine up last year and shredding the shaft, the frame and the gas lines which started spewin gas all over the place which was sweet.. ha. anyway you know any more comfortable suspension that would fit on that sled.. also post more pics when you can its looking like a nice rebuild might have to do that myself since its already half way there waiting for parts.

A better suspension might be an M10 or an Expert X, also some from a Ski-doo. I'm not an expert on all the better suspensions, but those I've heard more about. They won't bolt up so you have to get all the measurements and everything. I'll get more pics of the motor when I can and then as it goes back together whenever that will be. LOL

Suspension

Well i thought those suspensions didnt actually fit.. do you know any that do? or is it just mod one of those into it?

Back