Exciter and 2 1/8th track

justheman80

I am putting on a 136 x 2 1/8th track on my exciter and the 8tooth drivers i have now are not going to work, there is just no clearence at the front of the tunnel.

Does anyone on here run 7tooth driver? If so do you have any issues and do you run just the inner drivers or inners and outers? The person before me switched to 8tooth drivers for a 121 x 1 1/2 track and they only ran the inners and i have had no issues so far.

I have a Phazer with a 2" track and 7 tooth drivers. It will lose some top end but sure is fun to ride. I would assume the 8 tooth were stock on your sled??? I know I couldnt get a 1 1/2 on mine with 8 tooth

Hey, I have a 92 Exciter II and would love to have a 1.25"-2" track in that bad boy... hope you guys don't mind me joining in the hunt for information...like what all do you need to do to put a larger paddle track in there..?

Barney- Does your track slip or ratchet on those 7 tooth drivers? Also are you running all 4 divers or just the 2 inner drivers?

The 8 tooth dirvers were put on by the previous owner for clearence for a larger track, origionally it came with 9 tooth drivers, which the previous owner gave me.

To clear a 1.25-2" track you would need 8 or 7 tooth drivers for tunnel clearence depending on how large of a track you end up going. The track i am taking off is a 1.5 and it cleared just fine with 8 tooth drivers any large and you would most likely need 7 tooht drivers.

Sweet dude, just the advice I needed! so where can I find a 8 or 7 tooth drive sprocket? any interchangables??? and how much top end do you loose with going down a tooth or 2? any issues after the swap???

justheman80 said:
Barney- Does your track slip or ratchet on those 7 tooth drivers? Also are you running all 4 divers or just the 2 inner drivers?

The 8 tooth dirvers were put on by the previous owner for clearence for a larger track, origionally it came with 9 tooth drivers, which the previous owner gave me.

To clear a 1.25-2" track you would need 8 or 7 tooth drivers for tunnel clearence depending on how large of a track you end up going. The track i am taking off is a 1.5 and it cleared just fine with 8 tooth drivers any large and you would most likely need 7 tooht drivers.
I havent had any racheting problems and just running the (2) center drivers.

So I am curious why you guys are only running the inner drivers? Why not inners & outers or just the outers? I am experienced with sleds, just haven"t ever screwed around with the drive sprockets... What would you recommend?

You dont need the outers. Saves time when you switch drive cogs..little less weight. Mostly its easier and saves time when you change.

ExciterII569 said:
So I am curious why you guys are only running the inner drivers? Why not inners & outers or just the outers? I am experienced with sleds, just haven"t ever screwed around with the drive sprockets... What would you recommend?
Keep the inners, they run off both track nubs, outers just on the one!

I also have the Wahl Bros 8 tooth no slip sprockets that drive off the lugs and the windows. I am also not running the outers, i think on the exciter it was just a wheel anyways, not really a sprocket. i'm running a 1" track with studs that are about a quarter/eigth inch longer than the track and have plenty of room between the front heat exchanger, no ratcheting with the 8 tooth drivers. i seem to recall reading something about the front heat exchanger could be removed for more clearance, but don't quote me on that i'm not sure where I saw it. And yes as mentioned before stock is 9 tooth.
Dennis Kirk offers 7 and 8 tooth drivers.

Last edited:
Excellent info guys, helped me out a ton... So going with a 1.75" - 2" track on this one.. I'll clear the heat exchanger with a 7 tooth sprocket with no problems? Will I just be losing top end? Or are there a few losses?

I want the large paddles cuz there is tons of snow up at the summits, like 3-5 feet of fresh powder every week... and I want to go every weekend! this sled has good power & its so light.. I just hate my worn out 7/8", it just spins all the time! But if going with such a large track & small sprocket will totally power down my sled I may consider putting in a 1 1/4"-1 1/2"

you'll loose top end with the smaller drivers but gain a bit down low. you can also play with your gearing to give yourself more low end.

Putting a 2" X 136" on my 93 SX

Hi there,

Thanks for the info guy's, I am doing the same mod to my 1993 SX. I picked that baby up last winter and have been slowly rebuilding it. So far I completely cleaned the tunnel, removed all the decals. Rebuilt the Engine, removed the oil pump and oil tank, 50:1 Amsoil pre-mix from now on for this baby, twin PSI pipes (gonna do a home ceramic coat and exhaust wrap on them), Digitron pyrometer, new seat cover. I have a 136" X 1.25" Rip saw in there now and it looks to have about .5" of clearance with 9 tooth drivers. I am planning on dropping to a 7 tooth driver to make room for the 2" paddle. I had geared down and she runs strong to about 87 mph ( 17 X 33 gearing). My bro can't take me on a 2004 AC 440 Sno Pro!

What's the best jetting?

If you have a 9 tooth with a 1.25 right now and there is still a half inch of clearance, you will be fine with a 8 tooth drive and 2", what skid did you throw in there? & please give details on the install..

Exciter SX with 136" X 2"???

It has the stock skid with new Kimpex shocks and has a lengthing kit on it. I has homemade drop brackets, big wheels up top and another set of small wheels to keep the track from rubbing the the top of the skid. I purchased the machine with these mods already performed. I purchased a set of 6" risers yesterday but 8" may fit. I will install a set of MX fat bars as well. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will get a chance to drop the track and skid today. I think that the Phazers came with 8 tooth drivers? 8 tooth come in Extrovert, then I could run two only?

as far as dropping down to 8 and 7 tooth drivers its simple math. If you have 9's originally then dropping to 8 is a 8/9 or. 0.889 so if it went 90mph with the current gearing you will run out of gear at 80mph now, drop to 7 tooth and your gearing will run out at 70mph.

9 to 8 tooth = Multiply speed by .889
9 to 7 tooth = Multiply speed by .778
8 to 7 tooth = Multiply speed by .875

You Also increase Torque/power to the track

9 to 8 tooth = 12.5% increase in torque at the track
9 to 7 tooth = 28.5% increase
8 to 7 tooth = 14.25% increase

2" on my 1993 Exciter SX.

Well guy's I done a bunch of research on this topic and I have at this time decided to leave my 136" X 1.25" track in there. Measuring and looking at drivers, it looks like I would have 1/8" clearance with 8 tooth anti ratchet drivers. 7 tooth will work but will change the final drive by about 20%. That would be no problem, I have a bunch of gears. Looks like I would have to drop the skid about another 3/4" or so to clear my top heat exchangers but the bottom line is $$$. 8 tooth anti ratchet drivers were gonna be $430 pressed on and were not in stock. Looked like about $220 for cheap 7 tooth drivers. Gonna leave the SX alone for ditch banging, will save the $$$ for a new Nytro turbo project???

Back