Exciter and 2 1/8th track

2" track on my 93 Exciter SX

Did you just install the two inners or two inners and the two outers? Does the Older Phazer drive shaft fit an Exciter? The Phazer comes with 7 tooth drivers does it not?

Thanks

I installed just the inners. I will add the outers if i have a bad wratcheting problem later this year.

I don't know about phazer and exciter being the same.

Well if you started from page one, you would already know that no-one has had ratcheting problems.. Now Bluepsylo has come up with a decent question reguarding the phazers shaft fitting directly into an exciter II, that would make an easy swap... And you can get stock replacement drive sprockets for like $25-$30 each from www.royaldistributing.com If you haven't already checked out that site, you are in for a treat! Its Canadian tho... but ya.. you can still order aaen single pipes for the ex570 for around $420.00 :D

Since I started this thread i have PMed a couple of people that are running 7 tooth drivers and they both said they were getting wratcheting problems. Only one person in this thread said, they don't have any problems on 7 tooths.

And i did answer one of the three questions that Bluepsylo asked, unlike your self. so just chill out.

Well considering bluepsylo has an exciter, which only has inner drive sprockets I dont see how/ why he would get ratcheting problems... I may have been asking the same questions a few weeks ago, but i know the shit now..

2" x 136" on the Exciter SX

Well guy's I checked the Part #'s on the Exciter Shaft and the Phazer shaft, they are the same (all but the first two numbers). Here is what I found out, I will have to drop my skid at least another .5 -.75 of an inch to clear the top heat exchangers. Depending on who you talk to, they will tell you that you have to run the track way too tight with the 7 tooth drivers. If one was to run the 8 tooth driver's, IMO the anti rachet (Extroverts) is the only way to go for the following reasons. I have been told that you can run less track tension which would = 10 extra HP??? Nextly I have four 9 tooth drivers on my SX (I purchased it used) I read it some place that the SX's came with 4 drivers (Maybe due to the extra HP)? So if I drop two drivers, that would = less rotational weight (HP robbers). I was also told that it would gear it down 10% or so, see earlier post for exact #'s. So it sounds like I could not go wrong by spending the $430, wheather or not I run the 2" or the 1.25" paddle? I was comparing the 2009 Nytro MTX to a new Rev XP, wow 100 lbs lighter and 20 more hp. If 1 HP equates to 7lbs, then the Rev will actually have another 14 more HP. I know it is still a Ski-Doo! I love Yamaha's. My point here is, should I spend the cash on the Extroverts? I will probably hang on to the retro rockets for my kids when I have them! Splurge for the Nytro???

All Exciters came stock with 4 drivers, the outter dirvers were just more of a wheel.

I just got a chance to run my exciter with the new 2 inch paddle, plain 7tooth drivers and the front was lowered 1inch, I had a very very minor problem with ratcheting with a normally adjusted track. I just took off a 1.5 121 track that was running on 8tooth drivers and i ran that track super loose and it never once ratcheted.

With my limited experience I would not pay the money for extroverts, they are not always needed, especially on an exciter that is no worth more than a few hundred dollars. And as far a rotational mass, those drivers already weigh next to nothing, so HP gain is very minimal, the gearing as you mentioned will make the biggest difference.

2" on my Exciter SX.

Thanks for the info!

I will probably leave it well alone for now. IF SOMEONE HAS A SET OF 8 TOOTH EXTROVERTS THAT THEY WANT TO SELL, LET ME KNOW. I have pretty much rebuilt the sled from the ground up! I may strip it down next fall and polish the tunnel, do the track mod then, I have new rails and new bearings for the idler wheels.

Just got to get the exhaust finished now and get her tuned, my bro on his kitty cat won't keep up then!

Alright, well sorry for the arguing n such.. just one last final question.. If I put in 8 tooth drivers will I clear everything? I see some people talking about lowering the skid and some say with smaller drivers you are good to go... My buddy is giving me a brand new 1.5"x15"x121" so If I can just put in the 8 tooth drivers from a phazer and put in that track I will be so damn happy...

2" on an Exciter.

You Should be good to go. I have a new 1.25" with 9 tooth drivers and have about 1/2" clearance. I think that with 8 tooth drivers, you can fit a 2" in there. I may try later if I can find some cheap Phazer 8 tooth drivers or a set of cheap anti ratchet drivers since I have a new track sitting there.

Hmm... See this seems funky to me.. I haven"t measured how much clearance I currently have... But when I looked under there last it seemed like I only had 1/8" or so clearance and that is with my chewed up 7/8" track... I have a 92 Exciter.. so maybe the SX was a little different..I'll crawl under there and measure how much I have now with the 9 tooth on there.. but wicked dude thanks for the help, and new yamaha 8 tooth drivers are only like $30 a peice... and you dont have to change the size of the outer "wheels" right? haha no matter how many questions I ask I always have another one right when I think I have all the info I need... :P

Here is a chart to help you figure out what tracks will fit with what drivers. I followed the 94 5,600 v-max one, just cause I thought that sled would be closest in similarity to my Exciter. They even say the diamiter of each tooth size, so you can do some measuring on your own for track clearences. The 9tooth are huge when compared to my new 7tooths.

http://catalog.wps-inc.com/wpsonlin...ID=SM&PRVCID=SM&PAGE=512&Rnd=6368854501480922

Copy and paste, I could not figure out how to hyper link it.

Hyper link worked for me... Hey thanks a ton for that link, helped alot and my buddies liked it too... hehe

should be good to go now.. I'll post some pics of before and after on here.. thanks to everyone else too for the input..

2" track on my SX

Alsome link guy's! There is no arguing that. I put a 1" on my 1991 Exciter 2 LE last winter. I never did look to see how much clearance there was. I purchased this SX and the guy had the 1.25 in there already, I am not kidding when I say there is an half of an inch of room. I bet he changed the front exchanger, I will compare the SX to the 91 when I get a chance. Here are some pictures of my project.

Attachments

• Exciter SX PSI duals-2.JPG
    Exciter SX PSI duals-2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2
  • Exciter SX PSI duals-1.JPG
    Exciter SX PSI duals-1.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Revived SX-1.JPG
    Revived SX-1.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Redneck SX-1.JPG
    Redneck SX-1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 7
  • Revived SX-3.JPG
    Revived SX-3.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 13
Decided, putting the 2" in now!

I couldn't take it any more, I ordered 8 tooth Whal Bros anti-ratchet drivers today. I will take pictures before, during and after install. Hope it fits!

Wish me luck.

Are you sure you are going to clear a 2inch with 8 tooths?

I had 1.5 inch on 8's and it was fine. I tried my new 2inch track on 8's and it was a deffinate no go, so I ordered 7's

2" on my SX

Not too sure, but gonna try! Pick up the Anti ratchet drivers on Saturday, gonna try next week. The number support it but it will be real tight. I will have to drop the skid some more and the numbers state about 1/8" clearance. May have to trim some nubs off???

I hope not.

2 1/8" will not fit with 8 tooth Wahl Bros.

Well guy's it's official, the 2 1/8" Challenger track will not fit with the 8 tooth anti-ratchet drivers. I made up my own simple press out of some redi rod and a bunch of spacers, got my old drivers pressed off, pressed on the two extroverts. Put the track in and shaved a 1/4" off of each paddle so I'm at 1 7/8" right now and it clears everything well but the two top heat exchangers at the very front. It looks that I could move the exchangers to the rear but I am going to shave off a little more on the outter paddles. It's a crime but it's got to be done! There you go guy's I measured, everything, double checked everything, it's a no go. I could drop my skid a little more in the rear and that would help but I already dropped it 4".

My choice would be a 1.75" Ripsaw with the 8 tooth Anti Ratchet drivers? I thought that I had more gears too but all I have is a 17, 18 top, will run 18 X 33 for now. Will let you know how it all turns out.

I ran into the same problem when I put on the same track. I even lowered my front suspension mount as far as it could go and lowered the rear mount 3". Thats why I went with 7's, so I would not have to trim anything.

One thougt that I did have was that a guy could cut a section out of the two radiators and reweld them back to geather. It just seemed like too much work. Also remember leave enough clearence fo when the track flops up and down a little bit hile going down the trail.

Back