Clutch upgrade,Exciter 570 -89

Nikolai_Ex

Hi,since it got to the point of finaly doing something radical with my beloved old Yammie,i thought i should change the clutches out to newer ore better ones.
In the PSI tuning datasheet i got from ramblnman,it said that the original YPZ clutch would not be all that great to be using on a tuned engine,and that they are not worth repairing when they are worn.

Is there any comet clutch that would fit my exciter,ore any from newer v-max'es?im looking for a setup that makes it take of at about 4000 rpm,ore something like that to make this one a fun ride again

Thanks,excuse my poor english,hehe

Nikolai

i've got the comet 108c on my 89, blue spring and 52 gram weights. if i remember right it hooks up around 3k-3500.... can't remember exactly, i'll check this weekend. it does engage higher than stock, could maybe be a tad higher but all in all i'm fairly happy with the setup.

My stock SX clutch engages at 3700. I've heard that 95-96 Vmax clutches were a good upgrade. Buddy has one so I'm going to borrow it for a few runs this weekend and see how much different it is.

nikolai, i put 95 vmax 600 clutches on my 87 exciter that was ported and piped back in the day and what a big differance it made.

ramblnman said:
nikolai, i put 95 vmax 600 clutches on my 87 exciter that was ported and piped back in the day and what a big differance it made.
Okay,ill se if i can get a hold of a v-max 500 or 600 clutch..or maybe a comet 108.I have a comet on my v-max 86,but havent got the heart to rib it for parts,hehe

So if i want it to take off on about 3500-4000 i only need a stiffer spring?

Looking at the parts sheets, I noticed that the helix is on the outside of the secondary on the vmax and inside on the exciter. The primary weights hold two rivets on the vmax and one rivet on the exciter. Don't see anything else thats different.

Last edited:
rollers are wider, better bushings , longer belt life ,overall more efficient and more consistant shifting ability

Well sorry to revive this old thread but... I was wondering if you have to change out the bolts for the clutches to fit a 93 exciter sx2 570 and will it matter if they are both form a 95-96 for both the primary and secondary and if they have to be from a 500 or a 600 specifically or can they be newer clutches altogether

The primary clutch bolts are the same from 91 to atleast 2000, maybe beyond that. The secondary bolts depend on exactly what clutch you are running on what jackshaft. Maybe slow down a bit and rephrase your question. I think I know what your getting at, but please clarify.

Ok well here it goes I have a 570 sx ll with a bender pipe. Had a friend tell me the clutches were shot both primary and secondary. He took them to a shop he worked with to rebuild them and along the lines were never returned to me long story. So researching the internets I herd that the 95-96 clutches were great up grades for this sled because knowing this sled was a rare reed of its own. Do they have to both be a specific cc or do they have to be a specific model ( sx,lt,lx,ect) for this sled. I do know they will have to be rebuilt for this sled I know that much. I don't know enuph about clutches but willing to learn. Sounds like a lot of work but willing. I do know now they are as important as the engine its self and much more finicky. Lol. The jack shaft is the original stock. At least of what I know.

Ok, Thats much better. lol Anyway, Any short cover primary off of a vmax 5-600, Exciter II and some others that will work. You will have to use 8AY weights with the light rivets and a white/pink/white spring in the primary. You will also have to verify that the rollers are 15.5mm in diameter. A silver white silver spring may work better if your around 3000ish or above elevation. (just a guess as I see your in Idaho)
As far as the secondary goes, stock exciter II or 94 Vmax 5/600 will bolt right on. You can use a newer reverse cam secondary but there are only certain years that work due to the depth of the spline. I dont know which ones work, but I know there is a thread somewhere that explains it.

Thank you so much for the info I really appreciate it soo much!! Are there certain things I should look for in clutches off the internet as you know I really don't know much about them. I just don't want to have junk and get frustrated with junk already. Lol getting junk from a junk yard is why it's in a junk yard already lol. Are the 5-600 primary clutches the same clutch just weighted differently?what about the secondary? Do they all use the same length and width belts.

Back