98 SX project sled

Hood is Done

Sorry about the photos kind of dark out will post others this weekend when I can take it outside.

Attachments

• 100_1149 (Medium).JPG
    100_1149 (Medium).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1150 (Medium).JPG
    100_1150 (Medium).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_1151 (Medium).JPG
    100_1151 (Medium).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1152 (Medium).JPG
    100_1152 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 9

Pictures

She Runs !!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_1178 (Medium).JPG
    100_1178 (Medium).JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1177 (Medium).JPG
    100_1177 (Medium).JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_1175 (Medium).JPG
    100_1175 (Medium).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1174 (Medium).JPG
    100_1174 (Medium).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1173 (Medium).JPG
    100_1173 (Medium).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 12
I have been looking for red ski hoops but haven't come across any yet. I bought the ski on ebay for 100.00 brand new and thats what they come with.

No I didn't paint the hood. I had a gentlemen that is a member of our snowmobile club who runs a body shop paint the hood for me. He did a awesome job of the hood the white has 4 parts of pearl in it hard to see hopefully in the sunlight it will sparkle a little bit. I had my powdercoating done by halfbaked powdercoaters and also Tracy's custom concepts. All I have left to do is brakes and clutches to rebuilt and a bunch of misc stuff but I am glad it running and the paint work is done.

Just to keep you up to date. I got the headlight, gauge pod,handlebars and brakes all done this weekend. I have the clutches to rebuild studs to install snow flap to install and setup the sled suspension I am also not happy with the way its running so have to dig into it some more. I also ordered my decals for the hood so when I get them and have them iinstalled I will post some more pictures.

Hood Decals are on LOOKS SHARP!!!!

I got the hood decals today I designed them myself thru edecal.com they are easy to do and priced right with all kinds of differnet fonts and colors. I am slowly getting to the end of this project.

S = Super
S = Sport
X = Xperment

THis project is the cross between and SX and SRX so it was only right to come up with my own custom model SSX besides the custom paint and decals if you go back in my thread and look at the custom running boards that I made out of stainless you can see that I punched in the letter SSX for grip in the foot area. I still have to do my clutches and put studs in and tune on the carbs and set up suspension but this project is coming to a close. I also have to mount my red snow flap and red ski handles and the cosmetics of the sled should be done. I will give it a polish job before I hit the trails with it. Also have some red LED's to install for night travel should look awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_2441 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2441 (Medium).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2450 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2450 (Medium).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2448 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2448 (Medium).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2444 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2444 (Medium).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2439 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2439 (Medium).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Carb Issues

I cleaned the carbs about two weeks ago and found them very dirty. Got them all cleaned and installed themmachine started and idled fine. But as soon as I tried to rev it up it would maybe rev up or it would just bog out so I took carbs back off and checked to make sure that they were clean I missed one air jet so I recleaned them and reinstalled them tested today still bog off idle unless I choked it. The main jets are 142.5 which I believe to be on the lean side seeing that Yamaha calls for 151.3. The pilots are 45 which is right according to Yamaha. Just looking for reassurance that I am going down the right path. The only mods that are done to this engine is the head gasket mod and the reed cage stop mod. I am looking for some jets for these carbs they are 36TM's I am in need of 151.3,150,147.5,152 I have a post in the wanted section also. Also posting some pics of the inside of the hood after I got the sound insulation in it. I am also in process of rebuilding clutches. Secondary clutch is done and I am building tools to do the primary I was amazed at how tight my secondary is now with new bushings So I am ordering kits to do my 97 MM 600 also. Looking forward to comments about my Jetting issue. Thanks TY

Attachments

• 100_1193 (Medium).JPG
    100_1193 (Medium).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_1191 (Medium).JPG
    100_1191 (Medium).JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_1189 (Medium).JPG
    100_1189 (Medium).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1188 (Medium).JPG
    100_1188 (Medium).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1187 (Medium).JPG
    100_1187 (Medium).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
First time in the snow

I got the jets changed out in the 600 SSX took it outside and fired her up runs much better with the right jets not sure how it ran for the guy I bought it from but that is probably way there was a rod out the crankcase when I got it. So I took it out in the back yard today and tommorrow I am going to take to a friend of mine and ride around his fields and do a plug check and shake it down a little bit. I still have to install studs, take primary clutch back apart bushing is too tight and the clutch is not sliding all the way back kind of hanging up about 1/8" from end. Also have to set up suspension from front to rear and give it a good polishing. Then I need to start on the MM 600 have to return it back to the way I had it last year still have the grass drag racing stuff in it. But I will have all kinds of time seeing that I just got laid off for 8 weeks. We need more snow anyways trails are getting some bare spots. But here is a couple of pictures of the sled out in the yard.

:2strokes: :letitsnow

Attachments

• IMG_2460 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2460 (Medium).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2470 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2470 (Medium).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2485 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2485 (Medium).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 14
Just to let everyone know that I think I got my jetting and clutching good for trail riding. Rode the sled about 60miles today on our clubs poker run its fast about 92 mph WOT and pulls nice thru the rpm range fuel economy kind of sucks at about 8-9 mph but with the MBRP can I LOVE the sound and I am sure that I'm in and out the throttle alot. I have to experiment with the gearing a little it has a 22/39 in it know and it suppose to have a 23/39. Next month I have 3 radar runs to go to and hoping I can get 100mph out of it in 1000 ft. Thanks to everyone for the HELP with question and for the Parts that I bought on this site could of not done it without your help and advise.

Thanks

Eric

Nice job . I always like to see someone take somthing old and make it look better than new . That is one sweet looking sled .
SS .

I ran across your thread while trying to find the head gasket and reed stopper mods......

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

all my brain can think about is why my jaw has been on the ground so long without moving......

One of my favorite sleds on this site(behind project x7) good job man!You still gonna put the 700 kit in?

700 kit

After talking to many people on this site I decided to go against the 700 big bore but I still have some other modes in mind. Just takes time and MONEY.

Back