Custom Sno-X Viper Clone

Here is a pic of my custom made Rak-Steering, so the steering tie rods clear the bulk head cause of the raised front end. I could only use the tie rod on one side though, with both hooked up they were fighting each other. This is something very similar to what the race vipers used.

Last edited:

I have studied the tech bulletin for the steering rack that Yamaha offered to race teams. However, I have never seen one up close. All I can find of this bulletin is the following powerpoint http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/0u58a-suspension.ppt

Did all of these get destroyed?

Did Sno Tek make these?

Does anyone on here have the measurments?

Can anybody figure out how to determine the measurements from the bulletin?

Ding said:
I have studied the tech bulletin for the steering rack that Yamaha offered to race teams. However, I have never seen one up close. All I can find of this bulletin is the following powerpoint http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/0u58a-suspension.ppt

Did all of these get destroyed?

Did Sno Tek make these?

Does anyone on here have the measurments?

Can anybody figure out how to determine the measurements from the bulletin?

I was reading through a older snow tech magazine and yes, Snow Tek (not related to Snow Tech) made these, im not sure if its the exact same thing though.

Wow Ding, That some cool Info there. I've never seen that race info before. I might have done mine alittle differently maybe if I had seen it prior to my build. I wanted to do the unequal length radius rods, but didn't have any measurents so I left them in the stock locations. Rak-steering alittle different then mine, same basic concept though. Some sweet lookin race sleds there, nice pics. Thanks.
Everything on mine is custom made, except the bar itself is off a MXZ.

I saw the same file off of Sled Talk Canada (where Ding read the article as well) and like everyone else decided to pursue making one. I have not finalized anything yet, I still have to go through and double/triple check measurements and dimensions for any fitment and clearance problems. Won't be cheap to make so I want to be sure to get it right or at least manageable if a problem arises.

mock_up_1.jpg

Too bad I didn't save a copy of the full bulletin that I read back in 2002 or so. This was for the SX but much applies to the Viper. The powerpoint I posted the link for was simply a high level installation presentation for the race teams back then.

Any info you guys can provide is welcome.

That is some cool info. I wonder if a tech bulletin or a sticky thread would be worthwhile for this info so everyone can post their tidbits on racing stuff they have found. Just a thought, would be fun seeing the info different people have come up with over the years along with photos. ;)!

I'll get back on some drawings with dimensions when i get everything finalized and make sure it all fits (holes line up, no interference, works properly) so others can use whatever information from it that they want. Good idea ViperXC, I know there are people out there who have saved files or documents they've come across over the years. If people can share them it would be helpful. I am making this just based off of the pictures of the powerpoint from Sled Talk, so if anyone has anymore details or information on other aspects, it would be much appreciated if you could share.

SxViper32 that drawing looks good, but i didn't see a non-rotational pin in there. That round bar can't rotate, so you'll have to mill a slot in the round shaft and then screw a bolt into the slot by drilling and tapping the housing that holds it. That why i went with a square design with mine, so I didn't have to worry about that. As long as its pined it will work great. Also does anyone know what that shaft is sliding on in that housing? Is it just a delin bushing with grease zerks or what?

Here is a side pic of the rak-bar on mine.

Attachments

• rak bar pic 1.jpg
    rak bar pic 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 119
Hatch said:
Also does anyone know what that shaft is sliding on in that housing? Is it just a delin bushing with grease zerks or what?
From the powerpoint . . .

Yamaha said:
14. Now you can tighten up the assembly. Please make sure that the rack slides smoothly. Work the rack a few times by hand to mesh the DU bushings to the rack.
What does DU mean? The part number is in the parts list.

Hatch said:
SxViper32 that drawing looks good, but i didn't see a non-rotational pin in there. That round bar can't rotate, so you'll have to mill a slot in the round shaft and then screw a bolt into the slot by drilling and tapping the housing that holds it. That why i went with a square design with mine, so I didn't have to worry about that. As long as its pined it will work great. Also does anyone know what that shaft is sliding on in that housing? Is it just a delin bushing with grease zerks or what?

The weldment is not for rotational purposes, it will be threaded at the top and that is where the linkage will attach to the shaft (other end of linkage will attach to steering crank). Again, i am basing this off of Yamaha's design, as I assume they did a bit more extensive research and development than I have and they did not worry about rotation of the shaft (I do not for see any reason the shaft would rotate either). Also, I've done some extensive work with aluminum-steel wear properties and I am fully confident that I will not need bushings for the cross-bar. We've done a lot of work and research on this area with working with transaxles for John Deere tractors and I feel the extra work and money needed for bushings is not necessary.

The arms were extras from Yamahas race dept when they sold out. Just got lucky and got them from a guy selling them. They don't make these exact arms anymore, so the odds of finding them are slim to none. Northern lites made something similar to these, but I don't even know if that place is still in business or if the guy is still alive.
I got the graphics additions done, so I'll have to get some updated pics posted.

Back