Custom Sno-X Viper Clone

Hatch

Heres my Sno-X Viper Project I've been working on all winter. I took it out a couple weeks ago for the first time, and was very impressed with it. The ski stance was widened to 43". It has the accual race trailing arms that Yamaha used when they sno-x raced the Viper and radius rods that were made by Northern Lites. I was going to put Ohlins on, but decided to go with the float 2's which are lighter and I like the adjustability with the air pump. Since I couldnt get a hold of the rear skid from a race sled, I decided to go with an M-10 and made it into a 136". Really sucks up the bumps. There alot of custom made parts on this sled to get everything to work. It has a custom made Rak-Steering setup, because the front end sits up higher. Steering arms were custom made to work with the race arms. It has firecat handle bars & powermadd riser, which moves the rider forward like 4". Rides more like an Apex now. It has a custom made boss like seat. 8" Cat wheels in back with an offset axle, Custom machined to accept the cat bearing. Sx brackets Custom made to convert to the fox shocks. White C&A pro skis. Polished tunnel & Flow rites in the dash. The Front end components are about half the weight of the stock stuff. I figure close to 10lbs cut off the front end. Still working on some custom graphics with blown concepts to finish it off.
Here are some Pics...

Attachments

• Sno-X Viper Clone #1.jpg
    Sno-X Viper Clone #1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 468
  • Sno-X Viper Clone #2.jpg
    Sno-X Viper Clone #2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 470

That's one of the nicest Vipers that I've seen, awesome job Scott.

With the suspension set up that you've got on the front and rear, that sled should be one heck of a great handling and riding sled.

It's nice to see someone take the time and effort to really make a nice clean sled like yours. ;)!

looks great and probably a lot of fun to ride. At first glance it looks like it's off the ground! Apex flap looks good on your Viper. Did you have Ohlins on the front before? If so, pm me if you want to sell them. I'm looking to make some changes to my SRX like a long travel rear (possibly an Expert skid) and the Viper front shocks would raise the front nicely. I want to raise the bars about 3 inches and the seat 1.5 to 2.5 inches. I love my SRX except for when the trail gets rough. How much higher is your seat? Did you need longer cables for that height of riser?

Thanks for all the compliments. I appreciate it! It was alot of work, but worth it. Like I said earlier Im still working on some minor additional graphics to finish it off. I will post more pics when I get them done.
It is an 02' Viper. The seat was raised like 3". I did put longer throttle and brake cables on, but didn't need to lengthen the oil cable. To get the floats to work, it did take alot of customizing. I had to remove the stock rubber mount on the bulk head and made a Titanium bushing and pressed it it there. I took Sx brackets and modified it by welding a couple pieces of 316 stainless on to it and drilling a new upper mounting hole for the shock. The brackets are bolted thru the stock bulkhead location and the lower side hole, that you have to drill and tap. I also was able to get a nut on the back side, so there is less chance of the threads taring out. I also made some alum spacers to shim the shock what ever direction I needed. The floats also have a sphereical ball bearing that pivots which helps prevent any binding.

Gr8 sled.

But you'll need a carbon fiber / Fiberglas hood. It will lighten up the front about 20pounds.

Otherwise :bling:

If yamaha would have made the sled like back when they came out, i probobly wouldnt of had to sell mine..

Yea .. who did that seat???? It seems as tall as a boss seat, but the old Viper style and look. The seat looks sweet and the sled is awesome!!!!

Hey guys, I haven't been on this site much over the summer. Finally getting back into it. I had the seat done by Premier Upholstery,Inc out of Brooklyn Park, M.N. They have done a couple seats for some buddies and I and do a great job. Basicly tell them what you want done and they will do it. I just told them I wanted it raised up 3" and picked the firmness of the foam and the shape and they did it. Its way better than the stock seat, my knees aren't up in the air when sitting on it. Recommend doing it. Im guessing you could go to any well known Upholstery shop and they could probably do it.

Not interested in selling it at this time...... unless I got one hell of an offer... I could probably say that this is the only Viper out there like this, other than I know theres a couple of the acual race vipers out there. I only took it on 2 trips last year. Alot of people have been asking questions about the front shocks and how I mounted them, so i'll try and get some more pics up soon.

Upper shock mounted bracket pic. Modified SX brackets.

Attachments

• shock pic.jpg
    shock pic.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 116

Back