Best of All Time

vmax-540

A friend of mine and I were talking the other night and a question was asked ,what is the best Yamaha sled of ALL TIME !! So I just thought that I would ask all you people on this site to see what everyones answer would be . What are you thoughts!!

:yam: :2strokes:

It has to be the 1977 SRX 440A. It put Yamaha on the map. Sure they were a good company with lots of good sleds and wins before that but when they started showing up at the lakes for lake racing as well as the tracks, they paved the way for Yamaha to become the #1 sled manufacturer!

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
RACE 77 SRX !! TRAIL 97 700 SX !! 3:16 (yammie tony)

Loved the 700 sx as well. My buddy had one new back then.....I opted for a new '97 MXZ instead. I do remember that 700 triple was silky smooth and sled was just awesome on groomed trails. When the bumps got big though, I was much happier on MXZ that's for sure! ;)! He ended up putting on the kit that increases rear travel to 10" and I remember that making all the difference in the world.

It was hard to beat the the old school phazer. My budy drives a 92 and it runs better that it did when new. we had to bring it back to life after sitting out in the open behind his dads shed for 4 yrs. little gas down the carbs and she was alive!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Best of all time

1-77 SRX 440
2-00 SRX
3-any year Phazer ( kept Yamaha alive in sled business)
4 76-80 exciter 440/340 ( un stopable)
5 RX1 4 stroke (Yamaha comeback in the sled market)

Just my two cents worth!

bluebullet said:
1-77 SRX 440
2-00 SRX

Just my two cents worth!

Wow! I would think that to be exactly correct!

RICK I AGREE ON LIST 1-4. NO RX-1 THOUGH, VMAX 4 WOULD BE THERE 3:16 (yammie tony)

I agree the Vmax-4 needs to be on there for sure. I however think the RX-1 needs to stay on the list, it simply was the first performance orientated 4-stroke on the market so deserves a spot on the list. I thnk the '00 srx shouldn't be on there. While it was a giant killer and a great sled it simply wasn't anything new....matter of fact a little late to the game as other companies had been doing 3 cylinder multi-piped sleds for a few years when srx came out in '98. And while the 700 dominated other 700s and ran with all the 800s the 600 srx was a flop.

MASHER, I DON,T NO IF I CALL THE 600 SRX A FLOP. IF IT WAS, ITS BECAUSE HOW GREAT THE 700 SRX WAS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Well, I can't knock them, anyone I've talk to who had one loved them. Thing is they didn't kick butt like the 700 did that is for sure. They only made them in '98 didn't they? I'm not a Cat fan, but you have to admit the ZRT 600 was a tough act to follow in that segment.

I guess flop was a bit of a harsh term, but I bet the casual sledder has no clue there even was a SRX 600.

MASHER, I DON,T NO IF I CALL THE 600 SRX A FLOP. IF IT WAS, ITS BECAUSE HOW GREAT THE 700 SRX WAS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I agree with you Tony about the SRX6, it is pretty hard to live up to a big brother that did everything well.

I would say the Vmax4 but I biased. The 70's era sleds are before I started paying attention to what brand I was on. First Yami I rode was a SRV. The Vmax4 came out the year after I graduated and was the big muscle sled of it's time. The SRX definitly needs to be in there also. Probably ahead of the Vmax4 by popular vote I'm sure.

The first time I rode an SRX was at a snowmobile club monthly meeting. One of the members just picked it up and let me take it for a spin. Wasn't that impressed with its power. Then when i got of and looked at it I realized it was a 600 I was impressed.

1-77 SRX 440
2-00 SRX
#3 Should be#1 ?
That is like Dissing the SRX ? Maybe Yamaha turning point in the sled market ?

Just my two cents worth![/QUOTE]

600 SRX WAS MADE IN 98 AND 99. I ALWAYS THOUGHT IF YA WAITED WHEN YAMAHA CAME OUT WITH A SLED, THE FOLLOWING YEAR WOULD BE ALOT BETTER. PERFECT EXAMPLE 99 SRX / 2000 SRX AND 94 VMAX 4 750 / 95 VMAX 4 800. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Phazer hands down, How many were sold, how many are still being used? I do not know these answers but I sure do see alot more Phazers than srx''s. We still use ours on a daily basis, it is the only sled with a tow line. Not to get towed but it is the one we tow all of our buddy's Arctic Craps back to the shop with. Allan

alswagg said:
Phazer hands down, How many were sold, how many are still being used? I do not know these answers but I sure do see alot more Phazers than srx''s. We still use ours on a daily basis, it is the only sled with a tow line. Not to get towed but it is the one we tow all of our buddy's Arctic Craps back to the shop with. Allan

I had a '91 Phazer II ST as a teen, man that sled was handed a beating and almost never let me down (one exploded rear suspension arm at 1 am running back to truck). May have been a 485 fanner, but was so light weight power to weight made it feel like a much larger engine. Wicked in the powder too.

Definitely one of those sleds you have such great times with you want it back when your older. Guess that would make it one of the best of all time.

Back