Best of All Time

I can't believe that no one has picked the enticer. Super light and powerful, kicked butt back in the day. Vmax 4 for sure and phazer, 700 sx or sxr= bulletproof, the 01 srx is my current favorite, also I really liked my 93 exciter sx, it gave 650 indy's fits.

best workhorse - vk
best lake runner -01 srx
best groom trails - srx 600/700
best cottage trails - none / maybe mono shock skid never tried one

best yamaha engineering :
The 4-stroke engine truly is the converting point . The local Yamaha dealer went from 1 master mech. with 2 mech. to a whole bunch of them now, even some of the polaris mech. aswell ,....The polaris dealer went from one of the top selling dealership in north america thru the late 80's and 90's to being closed !!!!!!!!!!Yes yamaha did lag on time frame with the 3cyl , but others did and are still now in regards to the 4-stroke ....

Ooh! This is gonna be a long list! I love em all.

650 Indy's? On the hard pack my 83 V-Max 540 handled those with ease. The 1st gen V-maxs gotta be on there, never mind world champion status!! Speaking of which, the early SR's were the original giant killers that set the stage for the 77 SRX's butt kicking antics, so they gotta be on there too.

Exciter SX, hell yeah! No contest, my brother in law had a 650 Indy RXL, I'd ride the Exciter any day over the Polarass.

V-Max-4, check! 77 SRX, check! SRX 700, check! (My 98 SRX Mountain runs circles around a stock 98 MXZ! I know, I did it!)

The other guys may have played in the triple/triple field for awhile before Yamaha, but Yamaha showed everyone how it was done!

Early Exciters, check! GPX's, check! GP 440, check, (unbelievably like a moose in the snow!) Phazers, (a MUST!) check! Not to mention the incredible, current offerings! Need I go on?

Yamaha baby!

Last edited:
250 enticer ran with the 400s until you hit a field - great sled and tons of fun for trail riding and breaking trail in ditches, too!

yamaha is the only manufature that could build a tripple that would last and be easy on fuel as a matter of fact they are easier on fuel than most 2cyld 2 stroke sleds

Its tough to determine, but here is an "older" view when Yamaha was in its infancy;

STX 340/433/Exciter - with exception of the rear axle brackets breaking these had to have the most reliable engine/clutch/chaincase - ever.

ET250 - yes I know they were for the wife/kids/teens but talk about simple performance for the price. We used to put Ski-Doo 300cc single pistons in them, port them and put on a 36mm Mikuni. They would walk away on a Ski-Doo 440 fan. While Yamaha has promoted the new Phazar 500 as an economical entry level machine it is still too quirky for mainstream acceptance - the sport needs a new modern ET250!

EC540 - The father of the SRV - it was truly the Cadillac of touring machines in its time. Reasonably fast, reliable and always comfortable.

GP433 - Yes it was narrow and tippy but once you got used to it, it was quick and a fantastic hill climber (especially the 76/77 model that had a more aggressive track profile).

GPX433 - Not a great machine in its own right but it showed Yamaha in Japan how far the company had to go in technology and design to be able to make the 77 SRX (my favorite all time (had one set up with a rubber track, large fuel tank and comfortable seat tank for trail riding.) (carried a spare piston and clutch parts with me !!

Bob

Last edited:

Back