SXlover's garage work

ViperXC said:
I like the looks of that Mt. suspension in that Viper. Nice work.

Thanks. Was a direct bolt-in since the 05 Viper Mtn's come with the 144" Pro Mountain suspension. Everything is the same except the rails. We could've just swapped rails, but we decided to do the whole thing and then sold our 144" Pro Mountain suspension.

TO DO LIST
Install tunnel extension (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Rejet & clean carbs (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Install LH trailing arm (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Find W-W-W primary spring (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Replace bushing in primary clutch cover (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Clean carbs (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Clean carbs (97 SX) DONE!!
Clean carbs (97 SX 136")
Find a set of skis (97 SX 136")
Rejet & reclutch (Uncle's 01 MM700) DONE!!
Rejet & reclutch (Uncle's 05 Vector Mtn.) DONE!!
Reclutch (Friend's 08 Apex Mtn.)
Grease ALL!!

The pipes is back on the snow. Has the W-W-W primary with 8DN-10s loaded with 17.2 stl in each hole. Engages at 4000rpm and from a dead stop jumps right to 9000rpm and holds it there. Now if only the track would hook up ;)!

Last edited:
Time to put a new rear shock in the 153" suspension. Anybody know if you can just put the fox float shock from a 2010 Nytro in the 2008 Nytro suspension?

Attachments

• 1219101603.jpg
    1219101603.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 5
Well we decided to go with a Worx shock, thanks to Tom Hartman. Also put my Simmons Gen II's on the Apex Mtn and helped my uncle change the hyfax on his Vector Mtn. Next up will be to change hyfax on my Apex Mtn and my uncles 01 Mtn Max when parts arrive.

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1222101644.jpg
    1222101644.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1223101703.jpg
    1223101703.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 9
TO DO LIST
Install tunnel extension (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Rejet & clean carbs (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Install LH trailing arm (05 153" Viper) DONE!!
Find W-W-W primary spring (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Replace bushing in primary clutch cover (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Clean carbs (05 Piped Viper) DONE!!
Clean carbs (97 SX) DONE!!
Clean carbs (97 SX 136") DONE!!
Find a set of skis (97 SX 136") DONE!!
Rejet & reclutch (Uncle's 01 MM700) DONE!!
Rejet & reclutch (Uncle's 05 Vector Mtn.) DONE!!
Reclutch (Friend's 08 Apex Mtn.)
Grease ALL!! DONE!!

Just need to reclutch my buddies 08 Apex Mtn. and the To-Do list is complete. That should be done sometime next week. Heading out west this week to pick up another sled, it's going to be my toy or my uncle's (probably mine). Can't wait ;)! Oh and going to do some riding too, so some rejet and reclutch of sleds we are taking out is in order as well as putting the new hyfax on my 07 Apex. I swear I feel like I run a sled garage. Oh wait, I kind of do, on our personal sleds. Business idea? Maybe? Someday :)

To Do List
Reclutch buds 08 Apex
Setup rear susp on my 08 Apex for my riding
Install hyfax on 07 Apex
Rejet and reclutch the 05 Viper 153"

Tore into my buddies 08 Apex clutch this morning and found out some idiot put a short cover primary spring in there. That explains the creeping forward at 2000rpm. The colors are right but it's a bit short. Here's a current view of my garage.

Attachments

• 0113111654.jpg
    0113111654.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 12
To Do List
Install hyfax on 07 Apex
Rejet and reclutch the 05 Viper 153"

Well what was supposed to be just a clutch job for my buddies Apex turned into a fix A-arm bushing and then remove all 4 plugs because I fouled them out. Well that was fun. And whoever put the clutch spring in that sled last put the right colors in but a short cover spring. At least I had a spring for him that I got with my 08 as extra. And then I take the rear susp out of the 07 Apex and find my front 2 rail covers are worn through, the rear springs have been outta the holder things for awhile, and I have a badly bent front inner plastic wheel, and a bad rear shock. Thank god I have some parts laying around that I also got with the 08 so it won't cost me that much. And the 08 suspension has been setup more for me. Probably try it out tomorrow.

Weak welds? I think so. Must have been cracked awhile, it's already rusty. You can bet I'll be on the phone with timbersled monday. This is on an 08 Apex Mtn.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 9
Well Timbersled said they will be sending me brand new bottom a-arms at no charge. Just have to wait and see, hopefully they get them shipped tomorrow so I can get them on before I leave on the 11th for Island Park. If not I guess the stock arms will be going back on.

Took the rear skid out of the 08 Apex Mtn today to install the Timbersled update kit. Anybody with the older Timbersled should do this. They go to a single bushings on the rear arm with a holder to keep them in. As well as bigger bottom shock shafts and 2 limiter straps. One of my bottom shock shafts did have a bend in it. I'd rather have smaller bushings in my shock and replace those if need be instead of replacing the shafts. Rear bushings are tight so I'll have to get them reamed out with a 7/8" reamer like Timbersled recommends. Just need to get the bushings reamed and that will be done.

Watch for pics of the complete skid ready to go back in, in the next few days. Oh and these are A LOT lighter than a stock skid. I can pick the whole thing up in one hand.

Last edited:
Got my bushings reamed out last night, just to get it installed. Probably do that tonight.

I'd like to give a shout out to Jim's Welding in Minot, ND for the use of their tools. THANKS!!

Here's the pics I promised. Finished the Timbersled Mtn Tamer update kit and just snapped a few pics, I'll put it back in the sled tomorrow. Yes, I am holding the whole skid with one hand. It's that light. It's 162" rails with Mountain Machines extensions out to 174" and a Mountain Machines 9" big wheel kit as well as Holz ice scratchers and hyperfax.

img0435sx.jpg

img0443sz.jpg

And then two pics of whats going on in my garage currently. Skid and one bottom A-arm are off the 08 and the rear skid is out of the 07 and in pieces. Waiting on parts for both of these sleds.

img0444en.jpg

img0446cy.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to give Dave and all the guys at Timbersled a big thanks for their great customer service and help. The weld broke on my A-arm Sat morning, and had a BRAND NEW one in my hand by Fri morning for NO CHARGE!! THANKS GUYS!! I'll definitely do business with them again.

0204111343.jpg

Last edited:
Well I had a lot of fun in Island Park, but can you tell me what's wrong in this picture?

0218111820.jpg

Yup, the bulkhead is broke on the Apex

0218111821.jpg

ViperXC said:
Oops! Wipe all the suspension out on that side? Hope it wasn't at the beginning of your trip.

Nope everything is good, minor dent in the fox shock but still holds air. Will probably need to replace the timbersled spindle if I want to keep running the timbersled. Messed it up kinda bad with the pressure on it from being bent over on the ride out.

We were going down the back of a mountain and went over a rock. The dual carbides hung up that side and it just let go. After searching on TY 4 stroke it seems that lots of people break that part, from rocks, to railroad tracks, to loading in trailer and catching carbides. They usually replace them but a few do weld them. Most recommend make a brace to go across the front and tie both sides together.

This happened on Day 2 of 5. I rode it in, thought I broke a bolt, rode double out, got parts, then rode double in, only to find my bulkhead broke, and then rode it out. Luckily 2 people brought extra sleds, so I rode a pretty modded M7 on Day 3 and 4, and then a 700 Dragon on Day 5. Still had a blast!!

Made a little more progress tonight. This is where it sits right now, all plastics off and front bumper gone.

0219111948.jpg

Did a little bit more today. Going to wait until I have the new part in my hand before I continue. I just decided to replace the whole piece, maybe get the old one welded as a spare or something, I don't know. It all kind of sucks. You can bet I will be making braces to tie both sides together.

0220111225.jpg

Well the sled goes in early next week to get welded up. I'm planning to make up a brace for it so it holds both sides together. Will post pics when it's all done. Oh and the oil tank is leaking a little bit, probably starting to split due to the dent in it from the previous owner, so I'll need to fix that issue as well.

Figured I'd share a few more pics with the gas tank removed now too. Nothing left to do now besides get it welded, probably wouldn't have had to remove quite everything I did, but most is required to remove to get at the bolts for the A-arms.

If you've ever wondered what the exhaust joints look like on the back of an Apex motor, here they are.

img0505ft.jpg

A side view

img0506ib.jpg

And another side view along with most of the parts I've removed

img0511v.jpg

Back